3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wool Clothing  (Read 3159 times)

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wool Clothing
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
you had a look at any of the swandry or swazi clothes?
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline fisheye47

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2007, 12:46:00 PM »
I just ordered the Cabela's outfitter wool vest to wear under my fleece jacket(very nice heavy jacket-polartec wind pro also cabela's).I have reserched wool vests now for several months-even called some of the 'High end' guys and talked.I am form northern Mn. and have used lots of wool stuff over the years.I owned and operated the Cass River Guide Service for 25 years and did a lot of late season guiding on lake of the woods in the late fall,so I have spent time out of doors in the cold.You might want to go to Bemidji Woolen Mills site they have been making and supplying wool clothes to loggers-hunters and outdoorsmen for like 70 years-lots of good warm stuff.    CAM

Offline JBiorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 12:57:00 PM »
I sure do like my Swanndri's!

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2007, 02:22:00 PM »
another vote for Grey Wolf Woolens. The lead time is a pain but it is custom made and fits like a dream.

Offline Baffinland Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
I recently bought a pair of Cabela's Superwash wool hunting pants. I wore them on a trip a few days ago. Temp was about 15 F, NW wind 15 kts. light snow. They are great. They have two cargo pockets for maps etc. arse end pockets and two front slash pockets. And they are machine-washable.

I usually wear light merino wool long johns, merino wool short sleeved shirt, followed by a merino wool longsleeve shirt. Over top of this mess, a zipper up polar fleece heavyweight jacket. And of course my Filson wool packer hat. I can hike all day in this get up and stay toasty warm.

I have not tried the Filson line of pants. No doubt, like their other stuff, they are of good quality but the fact that they can only be dry-cleaned really deters me.

Northerner mentioned pac boots. I recently bought a pair of Schnees Hunter II (based on advice from this group) and am amazed at how warm and comfortable they are and how they fit just like a hiking boot. Best boots I've ever owned.

Offline UK Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2007, 07:37:00 PM »
LL Bean Stuff is not that bad

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Well I spent some time poking around Ron LaClair's site and I believe I know what I will get myself for Christmas this year!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Roughcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
When It gets cold and the snow is at the top of my gaiters I put the wool pants on. I've got spendy filsons, cheap surplus and whats in between. Can't tell a lot of difference in the pants.

One peice of wool for your top that I'd recomend is a good wool vest. Even the filson is affordable and mine gets nonstop use from fall till spring. Very little bulk for the warmth you get and will let you use lots cheaper cotton shirts into real cold conditions.

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
I like wool, but nobody around here wears it. We have so many Burrs, Stick-tites, Beggar's lice and briars, you'd look like a brown version of the Pillsbury doughboy after a hunt in it.
I tend to go with the Tech fibers like wolfskin, ect.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »
I have a set of Gray Wolf Woolens and a set of lighter weight Woolrich. My Cabelas Outfitter Fleece gets worn a lot more than either one of the wool suits though. When it gets really cold out and I will be sitting in a stand I prefer an insulated coverall over anything else.
Jack Shanks

Offline mountaindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
i just got a wool longhunter shirt (and hood)in the mail yestrday,from ron L....   :thumbsup:  

this thing is awesome... i've been wearing it on my nigtly dog walks, for the past 2 evenings..it is cozy warm...it fits me perfect..i went for the lighter weight wool,in brown....

if you folks don't have one of these.. check them out.. they're really nice and a great price...  :campfire:  

mike
>>>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->   (X)

mike

Offline Tony Phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2007, 11:01:00 AM »
About 3 or 4 years ago I picked up 3 pair of European military wool pants from the Sportsman Guide for $14. They are a greenish gray in color and are medium weight wool.
Tony Phillips
“What we do in life echoes in eternity”

56" Striker Stinger
52" Saluki Scythian
54" Saluki Turk

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
Do what Mountaindog says . Go to Shrew bows and look at what Ron has to offer. Looks like real nice stuff. Good luck

Offline dannyvp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2007, 11:52:00 AM »
Has anyone seen the Browning Highlander series? It doesn t look to shabby.
I spoke to G Fred at pretty good length and the sleeping indian guy. I just dont know if i can spend $800 on a set of wool clothes for our area.
That wool shirt of Rons is pretty cool.
"I make dirt look good"

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2007, 05:09:00 PM »
I must be blind...looked at Ron's websited and didn't see didly about wool clothing. Anyone have a link handy? thanks!

Offline mountaindog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by ken swann:
I must be blind...looked at Ron's websited and didn't see didly about wool clothing. Anyone have a link handy? thanks!
here you go...   :)   these shirts rock..  :thumbsup:   i got the brown, with a hood...
 http://www.shrewbows.com/wool_shirts/

mike
>>>>---LIFE IS A KNIFE---->   (X)

mike

Offline Swanny in MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2007, 08:27:00 PM »
thanks Mike!

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I wore my new longhunter shirt this AM when it was 28 deg F.  I was plenty warm....my toes were cold but nothing seems to change that.
homebru

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 08:43:00 PM »
I have had plenty of the cheap stuff and was never satisfied. I bought KOM and its been worth every penny to me. The Cabela's outfitter series is very good for the money. DannyVP I have hunted plenty in Alabama and I don't think you would need $800 wool down there.

Online Zmonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2007, 09:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by dannyvp:
Has anyone seen the Browning Highlander series? It doesn t look to shabby.
I spoke to G Fred at pretty good length and the sleeping indian guy. I just dont know if i can spend $800 on a set of wool clothes for our area.
That wool shirt of Rons is pretty cool.
Check this thread for my short review on the Highlands wool. Great stuff for the price.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051228
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying,
"Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©