3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016-2017 MISSISSIPPI HARVEST THREAD  (Read 678 times)

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
2016-2017 MISSISSIPPI HARVEST THREAD
« on: October 03, 2016, 01:36:00 PM »
I didn't see a harvest thread for this year so post them up! Had an old doe and spike come in yesterday afternoon, but didn't draw back.  Good luck this year.

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016-2017 MISSISSIPPI HARVEST THREAD
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 04:54:00 PM »
Went yesterday after work and ended up shooting a bobcat.  It spun around and around growling then the arrow snapped it shot back into the thicket where it came from.  Heard it stop and didn't hear it again. Couldn't find it so went back this AM and got on my hands and knees, but couldn't get in far enough. Pics or it didn't happen I guess... Finally starting to cool off a little.  Hope y'all have some luck.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 10:06:00 PM »
Opening day today in the South region, had 2 bust me while on the ground in my ghillie suit this evening.  Overall a good evening, got to see some.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
This year i'm going to keep a deer journal.  I've done so in the past and its alway interesting to look back and see how many deer were seen through the season.  So far i've had 5 sits from ground blinds (natural) and tree stand.  Of the 5 sits 3 were on the ground and two from my climber.

I have been busted all 3 times on the ground and not necessarily from the wind.  It has been from not having enough background cover and deer either coming in from the wrong direction (why can't they get the script right       :readit:     )  or me just standing out like a sore thumb!

I use a Kill Suit type grille, but have learned that I do better if I have full cover all the way around me.  Its the drawing of the bow that get me busted more often than anything else.

The first sit in the climber produced nothing as I set up in an new area to give the hot one a break.  But yesterday we had a cold front move through, so I planned to be in the climber in the white oak grove.  The oaks are on private land I have permission to hunt. It was here that i've been busted while on the ground those 3 times.  I hoped to change the stories narrative if at all possible.

I got set up by 0640 the next morning (not without a comedy of errors, dropped my backpack half way up, clanging banging etc...) and seen the first deer, a doe by 0740.  At 0859 a young basket rack buck stepped into a small dry creek bed and I shot low shaving hair off it chest.

At 1000 I heard squirrels moving behind and over my left shoulder and turned to see if I could locate it.  When I did it somehow morphed into a deer standing board sides at 18 yards lol.

I couldn't see its head but was sure it was a doe by the looks of the body.  I committed myself to shoot more this year and not be concerned if I missed, this has always kept me back from a lot of opportunities.  I hate missing!

I quickly drew and shot and honestly I don't recall focusing on a certain spot (pick a spot, pick a spot...).

At the shot the deer turned slightly my direction and I remember seeing the arrow glance off it neck!  How in the word did I miss that bad was my first thoughts.  But the deer turning in towards me was enough to shift the sight picture from a kill zone shot to a graze across the neck.

I watched it calmly take 2 steps and stand in place for at least 5-10 minutes, then watched it get wobbly legged on me.  It half fell/laid down with it back towards me and laid there for 20 minutes, until a coyote showed up!

I tried to find a shot at the yote but couldn't get a shot off before it turned and left.  When I looked back at the deer it was slowly walking away with it tailed tucked hard against it hind quarters.

Long story short it travel for about 300 yards and made for a difficult track on pine needles and me on hands and knees crawling through gallberry thickets.  It continued to bleed every 3' but after backing out and giving it more time it had dried and was hard  to see in pine needles.

And the doe turned into that same basket racked 3 point from the earlier miss.

IMG_1490  

I'm grateful to the Lord for this deer and a shaving sharp Simmons Tigershark!  I'm a believer that if not for these heads I would not have this deer due to where it was hit.

IMG_1487

Offline claytondinkins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
I always look forward to this thread! Good luck everyone. Tomorrow will be my first hunt of the season.

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
Went for a quick hunt yesterday afternoon and wasn't in the stand 5 minutes before I heard movement. 3 does came out with the biggest being about 10 or 12 yards. Drew back and let it rip. The arrow made an odd movement but corrected and hit her good. She ran less than a hundred and piled up. Turns out my string grabbed a loop on my harness. Having 425 grains upfront corrected the flight quickly and probably saved me a miss with my old heads. The other does just stood there wondering what in the world she was doing taking off like a rocket.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 06:43:00 PM »
Great job! I've done that with less than stellar outcomes. Now where's the pic's, lol.

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
I've killed one doe, haven't been out much...tradgang pic posting is beyond me!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Kyle,

Sent you a PM.  I can post your pic if you want?  Nice job by the way!

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:22:00 AM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
This year i'm going to keep a deer journal.  I've done so in the past and its alway interesting to look back and see how many deer were seen through the season.  So far i've had 5 sits from ground blinds (natural) and tree stand.  Of the 5 sits 3 were on the ground and two from my climber.

I have been busted all 3 times on the ground and not necessarily from the wind.  It has been from not having enough background cover and deer either coming in from the wrong direction (why can't they get the script right      :readit:    )  or me just standing out like a sore thumb!

I use a Kill Suit type grille, but have learned that I do better if I have full cover all the way around me.  Its the drawing of the bow that get me busted more often than anything else.

The first sit in the climber produced nothing as I set up in an new area to give the hot one a break.  But yesterday we had a cold front move through all night the evening before. So I purposed to be in the climber at the white oak grove on private land I have permission to hunt. It was here that i've been busted while on the ground those 3 times.  I hoped to change the stories narrative if at all possible.

I got set up by 0640 the next morning (not without a comedy of errors, dropped my backpack half way up, clanging banging etc...) and seen the first deer, a doe by 0740.  At 0859 a young basket rack buck stepped into a small dry creek bed and I shot low shaving hair off it chest.

At 1000 I heard squirrels moving behind and over my left shoulder and turned to see if I could locate it.  When I did it somehow morphed into a deer standing board sides towards me at 18 yards lol.

I couldn't see its head but was sure it was a doe by the looks of the body.  I had purposed to shoot more this year and not be concerned if I missed, this has always kept me back from a lot of opportunities.  I hate missing!

I quickly drew and shot and honestly I don't recall focusing on a certain spot (pick a spot, pick a spot...).

At the shot the deer turned slightly my direction and I remember seeing the arrow glance off it neck!  How in the word did I miss that bad was my first thoughts.  But the deer turning in towards me was enough to shift the sight picture from a kill zone shot to a graze across the neck.

I watched it calmly take 2 steps and stand in place for at least 5-10 minutes, then watched it get wobbly legged on me.  It half fell/laid down with it back towards me and laid there for 20 minutes, until a coyote showed up!

I tried to find a shot at the yote but couldn't get a shot off before it turned and left.  When I looked back at the deer it was slowly walking away with it tailed tucked hard against it hind quarters.

Long story short it travel for about 300 yards and made for a difficult track on pine needles and me on hands and knees crawling through gallberry thickets.  It continued to bleed every 3' but after backing out and giving it more time it had dried and was hard  to see in pine needles.

And the doe turned into that same basket racked 3 point from the earlier miss.

IMG_1490  

I'm grateful to the Lord for this deer and a shaving sharp Simmons Tigershark!  I'm a believer that if not for these heads I would not have this deer due to where it was hit.

IMG_1487  
way to go, buddy! i've been twice but haven't seen anything yet.

hope to change that this weekend. congrats on the buck!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Thanks "Deadeye " lol.  Hope you stick one soon.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Here a pic of "jkm97"  (Kyle) doe he shot, great job!

IMG_1564  

Kyle what bow is that?  Tall Tines, Shafers?  Looks good.

Online Dry Creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by South MS Bowhunter:
Here a pic of "jkm97"  (Kyle) doe he shot, great job!

IMG_1564  

Kyle what bow is that?  Tall Tines, Shafers?  Looks good.
He is shooting a very nice Tall Tines!
58" Bear Super Grizzly  45@28
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw 45@30

Offline jkm97

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »
If I could only get more chances to take it hunting!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 12:48:00 AM »
Hunted this morning same stand as where shot the buck, got busted at 1025 as I was standing to prep to leave.

So far have had better than average deer sighting while on stand this year.

Offline Mark Normand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
Anybody hunting around Georgetown/Rockport/Shivers in Mendenhall county?  I'm on a tiny lease there. No shots yet. Boy that area is ate up with yotes for sure. Too many chicken houses in area I guess?
Stalker ILF recurve
Dakota II longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
We have been in camp meeting since Wednesday night with day services going on since Thursday, so haven't had much chance to hunt.

Well after this mornings last service and lunch at the local catfish restaurant I slipped into the woods for an evening hunt.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 01:48:00 AM »
I climbed up a sycamore tree overlooking a dry creek bed.  We have been in a little drought condition here the past 40 days.  We did get some rain two days this week.

Due to the late nights and little sleep combined with the heavy fish dinner I was immediately tire and sleepy once settled into the stand at 1540.

I felt like I needed to pray so I loosen my harness lanyard to allow me to kneel down and pray facing the tree (and allow me to close my eyes hugging the tree     :pray:   )

After a few minutes praying and praising him I settle back in the seat but not before requesting he bless me with a early deer.

Not 5 minutes later I look left and there a deer standing across the dry creek and moving parallel   to me.  And then I hear footsteps closer and there another deer right on the creek also moving towards me.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 01:53:00 AM »
I remove the Centaur Chimera from the holder and ready myself while sitting.  I have always done better sitting shooting than standing so I usually stay seated if I can.

The deer join up and their both young yearling does and of course they keep whatever cover between them and me.

There is an opening at 25 yards that will allow a shot if one of them will cooperate   :pray:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 01:58:00 AM »
The first one to it jumps through the gap not allowing a shot.  The second one step in and stops but I have to clear a screen of brush to make the shot.

I draw back and never reach full anchor and the arrow is away    :scared:  

The arrow is flying nock left and slams into a oak tree to the right of the deer but 10' up.

They bolt with one heading east of me and the other, the one I shot at heading due north.

The squirrels go crazy barking and cat meowing for what seems like 10 minutes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©