3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2016-2017 MISSISSIPPI HARVEST THREAD  (Read 679 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2016-2017 MISSISSIPPI HARVEST THREAD
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 02:02:00 AM »
And after 20 minutes  I see movement to the east of me and see the young doe start to head back my way slowly stiff legging it all the way.

I can't believe its going to come all the way back but it does.

It goes right back to the same spot where the two milled around prior to my shot.  The one that I shot at that headed due north of me now reappears and joins it's sister.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2016, 02:05:00 AM »
And then its like its groundhog day, they repeat the same scenario going through the gap!  The first one jumps through and gives no shot.

The one who I shot at earlier now walks through but this time is further up in the gap and offers no clear shot.

I wait for a shot to materialize and the deer is now at 30 yards and slightly quartering away from me and within 2 steps will be out of my life.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2016, 02:11:00 AM »
I stand now as it offers the best shot angle and to clear limbs that are now in the way.

I draw and make sure I have full draw and try to focus on a spot this time.

I cannot for the life of me focus down and catch myself "peeking" at the shot and hear the hit but cannot see it.  The deer turned sharply away from me at the shot and I think I may have hit the neck again like the last buck.  It runs hard and I hear trashing as soon as it goes out of sight.

I give it 25 minutes and make my way down its now 1640 or so. The Lord has at least kept his end of the blessing now it time to see if  I made good on mine.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2016, 02:21:00 AM »
I slowly pack up to give it more time and then cross the creek and look for the arrow.  I find it stuck in a tree root with one drop of blood next to the shaft and a light dusting of blood on the fletchings.

It looks eerily like the last arrow that cut the bucks neck in a grazing shot with a Simmons Tiger Shark.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2016, 02:33:00 AM »

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 02:35:00 AM »
The deer stood in the space between the two trees in the background upper right hand side of  picture.

IMG_1591

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 02:39:00 AM »
While looking at the arrow I heard movement a few yards ahead of me so I backed out not wanting to spook the deer and push it to the clearcut that was just ahead.

I gave it another hour and went searching for it and after finding the arrow again started looking for blood.

I found the second drop of blood at about 10 yards and then more a few feet from there and it looked similar to the last deer as in bright red blood but no froth.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 02:49:00 AM »
I shine ahead and to my surprise there laid the deer but it was still alive but very weak with it head laying down.

I again backed out and gave it another 30-40 minutes and this time I found it barely alive and finished it off by cutting its throat.

And to my amazement the wound was again through the neck almost exactly like the earlier buck except this time I punched two holes through the skin cutting the neck deeper.

I'm sad to say the deer was younger than expected as she had spots just fading away.  I could not see them from the tree stand and her being in a shaded area and dimming light.  Otherwise I would not have shot.

And due to this I did not take hero pictures.  She will be consumed and make for some good meals ahead.

I hope others are experiencing a good year as well!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
Any new hunting stories of success or failures?  How the rest of the state doing?

I know Will Cocke has a story or two to tell...

And for some reason my pic's got messed up on flicker...may have been due to me playing around with the access functions.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Anymore success?

Went out this evening, and bundle up real good for the low 30's and a windchill in the low 20's BRrrrrr   :saywhat:  

Nothing seen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©