3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What are friends for?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What are friends for?
« on: October 04, 2016, 08:01:00 PM »
Some who follow the prayer forum will know that as I moved to TN, I've had devils own time finding places to hunt near home... lots of reasons, few excuses but I suspect it's some of the "hold my beer and watch this" experiences that soured land owners here in NE TN.

Alas, I met a guy here who invited me to his home to hunt and bowfish last year...Shag08.  great Family...great guy.

We keep in touch via text as his phone won't talk no more and he doesn't do email

Anyway, I had shoulder surgery and am limited by surgeon as to what I can do... the exercises I'm doing are no better or worse then pulling a bow, and it's only now that he said my time to even "try" was coming of age...

I've been working with some light glass bows like we used in gym class eons ago... to try to develop the strength.

REading of this, Brandon offered and sent me a 35# samick he had among a deep stable says he of others... plus some arrows!

I had an offer to get with a guy who has some land thru a aged 3rd party friend, so I was going if only to sit with a camera... but Brandon would have none of that and sent out the bow and arrows to arrive tomorrow.

This is a community, no doubt!  I've met the best people in my life in TRAD archery... many no longer on sites, but they remain fond memories.

Hat off to Brandon and his wonderful family of 3..wife, a fine taxidermist, and his darling daughter, Evey!

I'm sitting home tomorrow waiting on a box!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What are friends for?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Yes, this is a quite welcoming group of hunters.  Hunters as a whole in my experience tend to be good people, but the traditional archery community seems to bring out some of the best of the hunting community.  I think that part of the reason we see such a high percentage of great guys in traditional archery is that it requires discipline, conviction, and maturity to hunt with this equipment over other hunting methods which in turns weeds out many of the lazy hunters, poachers, hold-my-beer, etc types.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Well deserved brother!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
Yes, this is a quite welcoming group of hunters.  ... the traditional archery community seems to bring out some of the best of the hunting community.  I think that part of the reason we see such a high percentage of great guys in traditional archery is that it requires discipline, conviction, and maturity to hunt with this equipment over other hunting methods which in turns weeds out many of the lazy hunters, poachers, hold-my-beer, etc types.
I'd say you're onto something, but it also means, to me, regardless of chronological age, that those who choose this route, are anchored in those values that made this country what it once was!  I saw a license plate that said, "Doing it the hard way--hunting with a Long Bow"... not that there is anything special about a long bow vs. other stick bows, but it attests to the fact there is a level of, as you say, of discipline, commitment, Conviction and maturity that surpasses the EZ way to "git er done".
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:18:00 AM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:    

Good luck, Doc!

Bisch

Online South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
Praying it works for you Doc!  And before long we can hear another deer story from you.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
The TG traditional family is vastly composed of quiet, resolved, committed, concerned and full experience outdoor partakers who share in the pain, suffering and triumphs of others.
The family cell is the core to ethical society as society enhances or degrades correspondingly relative to this central core.

Our members continuously display, share and give, with purist humility, the gifts they themselves have received.

Our community has been abundantly blessed.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:03:00 AM »
Traditional bow hunters tend to be a very cohesive group. Most are at least somewhat conservative in social as well as other aspects of life. They tend to be generous and quick to lend a helping hand. I don't mean to imply that people who are not trad don't ever show these qualities, but it seems to be the norm for our group. I like Friend's summary of our community. Consequently, at least for me, it is a natural attraction. I have a broad cross section of people represented in my social group, but the archers are the ones I prefer.
Sam

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
Good luck Doc  :)

:archer2:

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Thanks, all!  The credit all goes to Brandon, as it was he who just jumped on the situation and shipped me the loaner...

Hot diggity... Each individual is just that: Individual!  I DO find more of like minded souls in the Trad arena then elsewhere, but good people abound, but aren't as visible these days as in some times past!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Duker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Doc     :wavey:   Best of luck and straight shooting   :archer2:

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Heal quickly and shoot straight. Prayers up!
Aim small,miss small

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Glad to hear it, Dave...been meaning to ask how the shoulder was coming, but sometimes you don't know whether to ask if the news might not be good.  Seems like I'm more forgetful than I used to be, but I don't think it has anything to do with me turning 60!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2016, 03:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by olddogrib:
Glad to hear it, Dave...been meaning to ask how the shoulder was coming.  Seems like I'm more forgetful than I used to be, but I don't think it has anything to do with me turning 60!
I read that as we age, we get more developed concentration, which is why a guy can be lost in thought and walk outa the house without his britches!  I think I'll go with that one!    :eek:

AS for the shoulder, it sure is sore after yesterday...shot this young friend's 35# today and it tuned back up so I'm going to lay off shooting and focus on my exercises more...

When I actually get to go hunting, I'll take eiter the 35# Sage or the 40# bear  and know with one shot I can make it happen.

MY Semi-Static RC limbs on my SAS should be here tomorrow, too...They came in at 38#, so right in the wheel house...

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Doc, heal fast and get a good one.
You are going to love the back end smoothness of the new limbs. Will be a different feel from your hybrid but nice.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by katman:
Doc, heal fast and get a good one.
You are going to love the back end smoothness of the new limbs. Will be a different feel from your hybrid but nice.
I'm guessing... I shot the original SS at B'mo when kirk brought several for guys to try out.  These for the SAS Riser are SEMI-static, but still high performance.

I didn't perceive the big let off folks talk about, but I was comfortably shooting way more poundage...so dropping poundage, I hope to stay in the game a few more years...

Going to be fun to find arrows when shooting just a few flights gets that shoulder aching.

I'm ahead of what the doc said for bow shooting by a good week or 10 days... but hey.. I've been good all this time!    :rolleyes:    :laughing:

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2016, 09:33:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Good folks do exist.....But you knew that Doc........     :cool:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
Yeehaw Doc glad for you!
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Keep on heel'n David .... there is light at the end of the tunnel and hopefully it's not a train coming your way ...

best to ya buddy    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©