3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thank you to Craig Ekin  (Read 894 times)

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
Thank you to Craig Ekin
« on: October 04, 2016, 10:08:00 PM »
Hello all:

This is my first post on Trad Gang.

I'm new to trad archery, starting off with a 40 lb. Cabelas "Warden" recurve in June of this year.

As I've been learning, I have been also reading quite a bit.  One of the books I read quite recently was Craig Ekin's book "Howard Hill, the Man and the Legend".

About a week after finishing this book, I found that I had an assignment the next week in Hamilton, MT.  It then occured to me that Hamilton was the very town where Craig runs his shop "Howard Hill Archery". Incredible.

In over 25 years of doing equipment repair all over this  country, I can't ever remember doing any work in Montana, never mind Hamilton!  So this was a huge, timely blessing for me, especially since I had already set my goal to start saving for an HH longbow.

So I called Howard Hill Archery, telling them I'd be in town, and asking if I could visit to tryout their different grip sizes and styles, including their takedown models.  

Craig welcomed me in twice the week that I was there, and graciously answered all of my questions.  I purchased a copy of his aforementioned book, which he kindly autographed for me.  He also asked me if I'd like to see their shop, which of course I did.

At this point I'm hoping to one day purchase a Wesley Special takedown from Craig.  Honestly, even with smallish hands, both the small and large takedown grips feel good to me, with maybe a slight preference for the large version.

I've attached a parting shot of the Bitterroot range which I took on the way out of town.

Best wishes,
Frank

- Hill Big 5 ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"
- Hill Halfbreed ASL, 66", 45# @ 27"

- Cabela's Warden 62" recurves:
-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Proverbs 16:3
"Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established."

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thank you to Craig Ekin
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
Welcome to the fire my friend!!!

What type of take-down do they use on there bows?

:archer2:

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:05:00 PM »
The Howard Hill approach is a package deal.  All aspects of design and equipment pieces work in correlation with each other.   It is also a philosophy of fluid and natural shooting and hunting that allows the hunter to be able to adapt with the situation and the timing requirements required.

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 12:12:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang!

Bisch

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 12:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caughtandhobble:
Welcome to the fire my friend!!!

What type of take-down do they use on there bows?

:archer2:  
Thank you!

It is a two-piece metal ferrule aystem.  The outer ferrule is attached to the top half of the riser, and is covered by the leather grip.

The inner ferrule is attached to the bottom riser, and slips into the top ferrule VERY snugly.  When the bow is assembled, you cannot see either of the ferrules (unless you look under the grip).

I could find no movement with this takedown system, either with the bow strung or not.  

In fact, it is so tight that to take the bow back apart you place it horizontally behind your knees, grab each half of the riser in one hand, brace your forearms against the outer sides of your knees, and then spread your legs to pop the ferrules apart.

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bisch:
Welcome to the Gang!

Bisch
Thank you!

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Azwatasha

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »
I'm jealous!
Baseball, Hotdogs, Apple pie and Bear Kodiaks

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
Welcome to Trad Gang. You will like it here. You will like the Wesley Special, also. I have two of them (5 Hills in all). Craig makes good stuff.
Sam

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  You'll like the Wesley Sp. Enjoy!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sam McMichael:
Welcome to Trad Gang. You will like it here. You will like the Wesley Special, also. I have two of them (5 Hills in all). Craig makes good stuff.
Thank you.

I've got some saving to do before I can order one.  But I'm certain that it will be worth the wait.

Best wishes,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by pavan:
The Howard Hill approach is a package deal.  All aspects of design and equipment pieces work in correlation with each other.   It is also a philosophy of fluid and natural shooting and hunting that allows the hunter to be able to adapt with the situation and the timing requirements required.
I think that I know what you mean, having read and  watched some of Howard's material, and also having watched John Schulz's video on YouTube.

However, I don't want to assume anything.

Could you please expound on this for me?  Specifically as far as the "design and equipment" is concerned?

Many thanks,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Offline Elkchaser

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 10:11:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang, Frank! I'm glad you enjoyed your visit with the Ekins. They are great people! I live in Billings, MT now, but still own a home in Stevensville, about 18 miles from their shop and used to shoot the 3D course below their house regularly.
Good luck on saving for your new bow!!    :thumbsup:
No matter where you go; There you are.......

Toelke Lynx RC 58", 51@28”

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Learner:

Originally posted by pavan:
I think that I know what you mean, having read and  watched some of Howard's material, and also having watched John Schulz's video on YouTube.

However, I don't want to assume anything.

Could you please expound on this for me?[/b]
He simply means that going the way of the ASL is an illness, thus the 2 neverending Howard Hill bow threads.      :D    

HH Bug Got Me Thread 1  
   HH Bug Got Me Thread 2  
welcome to the 'gang
homebru

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 05:04:00 AM »
Neat Picture.  Sometimes Fate has a  way of playing out before your eyes.

Welcome to Trad Gang!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2016, 08:06:00 AM »
Welcome to the Gang!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Why did I read this? It's a sickness I tell you. I've been on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Wesley Special. I didn't because after my recent wilderness elk hunt I had my mind set on a quick assemble/disassemble take down. Now I read Craig makes one?? This traditional thing was supposed to be simple. One bow. A crooked stick with a string attached. How much trouble could that be??? Now I have to call Craig next week and blast him with my T/D questions. You guys are enablers. All of you. I'm going bird hunting now with my dog whom I can trust. Have a good day   Welcome Learner. My advice is don't read this and certainly don't look at the pictures. It's contagious.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
I hope you enjoy your new bow, they're fun to shoot.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Craig's shop is on my bucket list.
    About 900 miles form my place.
I have a couple of his bow's now..
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Welcome! It's too bad you are set on a Hill, there are so few Loving them around here. However, if that's where your fancy lies there is a thread or two around that should keep the fire burning till you put the order in. I think those Hill threads don't amount to more than maybe a million replays or so, being so few Hill Lovers around and all.    :clapper:
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline Learner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2016, 04:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chain2:
Why did I read this? It's a sickness I tell you. I've been on the verge of pulling the trigger on a Wesley Special. I didn't because after my recent wilderness elk hunt I had my mind set on a quick assemble/disassemble take down. Now I read Craig makes one?? This traditional thing was supposed to be simple. One bow. A crooked stick with a string attached. How much trouble could that be??? Now I have to call Craig next week and blast him with my T/D questions. You guys are enablers. All of you. I'm going bird hunting now with my dog whom I can trust. Have a good day   Welcome Learner. My advice is don't read this and certainly don't look at the pictures. It's contagious.
:biglaugh:

So true, it is contagious!!  Sorry for having reinfected you!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Frank

-- 40# @ 28"
-- 50# @ 28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©