3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many hunt feed(ers)?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
How many hunt feed(ers)?
« on: October 07, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
I am curious as to many guys here hunt a non natural food source while hunting?  

I am referring to a corn feeder, (I wouldn't say a food plot), rice bran, etc.  

I recently got in a lease in Arkansas and pretty much "the way" to hunt it is by feeder.  I got in it from a lack of time to scout local public land and liked the idea of being able to have something to hunt on a saturday am without having proper time to scout.

I will still hunt public land when I have a couple of days to hunt, but probably wont when I only have a saturday to hunt and scout.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many hunt feed(ers)?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
never ever ever.
Make a life, not a living

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
All natural for me. I know a lot of people that do , it's just. It for me.
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Not until this year. I kept a pile of windfall apples going for about 6 weeks before season opened on my own property. Didn't hunt it much but did whack a forky due to an empty freezer.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 09:48:00 PM »
I do. I started using them about five years ago when my kids started hunting. I wanted them to be able to watch deer and not feel it necessary to shoot. By doing so, I also found that I enjoyed the higher number of animals seen. Not just deer, but other animals as well.
I always start with a light amount of feed several weeks before season. Then will also continue with a light amount of feed usually to the end of March. Sometimes longer if the winter is rough.
Some may think it's "cheating" or makes hunting to easy. I agree you will see more animals, but trying to get a shot off is very difficult. The deer are very cautious while approaching and while at the feeder. I usually set up at a distance and try to get shots as deer approach the feeder. I have watched ol mama does walk 360 degrees around a feeder at a distance of 50-100yds to scent check and make sure it was safe.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 09:49:00 PM »
I have no interest in shooting anything over a feeder or feed.

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
I'll hunt over acorns...so if there was an feeder, whats the difference?
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 10:34:00 PM »
I could go into a long rambling discourse,  but I'll just say no, I don't use them, have no use for them, and leave it at that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 10:42:00 PM »
I'm gonna go get some popcorn! This is gonna be good!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 10:43:00 PM »
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
In my area hunting has become very competitive. Most farms around where I hunt run feeders. I put out some corn and cameras to "see what is around", but don't hunt over it.

That said, I moved one stand today and put up another where deer are hitting the white oaks hard. The scent I leave just doing that is bad enough. I can't imagine frequently filling feeders.

Very divisive subject here.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 05:29:00 AM »
I would if it were legal here.

I'm not sure why I shouldn't be able to use feed to get a deer to step on my little piece of ground once in a while.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 08:19:00 AM »
Ive got great deer populations where I hunt. If I had few or no deer to deal with from lack of feed, I might plant one though. With already existing deer pops, the deer bed, and the deer feed, and they move between the two leaving sign as they do. Why should I sink more money into an already expensive endeavor by adding a feeder? Obviously there is already feed there, or the deer would not be. I dont mind taking the time to figure out the bed areas, and feed areas....its part of the excitement for me. In my area, the use of feeders and hunting over them, are deminishing the hunters ability to read sign effectively. So many depend on them alone, and are lost without one not knowing what to even do.

I personally dont see any advantage to a feeder for my particular case, and would just empty my already thin wallet.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
I hunted hogs over a feeder once.
Sam

Offline TexasKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2016, 08:25:00 AM »
Way of life here in Texas....I won't spend everyone's time trying to change anyone's mind or to  justify it, but as Bvas said, I am convinced that deer that are used to feeders are 10X more 'on edge' than otherwise, and I believe it is or can be passed on generationally.

No piece of cake, and big bucks don't get big gorging at corn feeders.

Daniel, if you go that route, PM me...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 08:26:00 AM »
I hunted over feeders a  few times when I was a kid but quit when I realized I was seeing the deer without the added effort anyhow.

I hunted over feeders on a hog hunt once.  It was OK and probably the only way to hunt that time of year on that specific property. The camaraderie and fellowship on that hunt were what made it.

I may try one on a bear hunt but still am on the fence about that.

For, deer squirrels and turkey by me.... No.....
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 08:29:00 AM »
Seems like everyone baits in DE.  Drives me nuts.  I'm not a big fan.  A lot of new guys think they're hunters now but admittedly won't even go if they "don't have corn out".  If you have turkeys, it's almost pointless unless you have deep pockets as they will flat out clean it up.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
If I was a deer, I know for certain id be way more spooky and on edge around a feeder, so id never doubt that... The frequency of associated human scent alone would make me one paranoid creature!

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2016, 09:37:00 AM »
If its legal in your state, have at it if you prefer. I personally don't hunt over feeders but to each their own.

Rodney

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2016, 12:08:00 PM »
Feeders are used a lot here, accepted way to hunt, while I run them and have stands near I also hunt areas within several hundred yards of the feeders and it is amazing the deer disposition well off the corn versus near it. Just got pics of a nice buck on a trial about 300 yards of my feeder. Next north wind when I can hunt you know where I will be.
shoot straight shoot often

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©