3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many hunt feed(ers)?  (Read 3357 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many hunt feed(ers)?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
will NEVER hunt over a feeder or hunt in high fence area, also DETEST 4 wheeler's...
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
Feeders and high fences. Yes, they're legal in a lot of states. No, they're not ethical. The first argument people make in favor of feeders or high fences is that "it's still hard!" as if implying that feeders/fences don't make things easier. But that argument is illogical, since if they don't make things easier, then why do people go to such trouble to and expense on feeders/fences?

Secondly, feeders are not the same as a food plot or oak tree. Let's just get over that lie. If they were the same, again, then why would people spend time and money feeding rather than planting an oak tree?

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Feeders have their place. Example, I have a very small tract of land that I hunt occasionally when I only have a few hours to hunt. Like after work. This small tract of land is nothing but small brush and a few small trees. Only 2-3 trees On the property that is big enough to hang a stand. It is surrounded buy good woods that holds a lot of deer. I have scouted it extensively and the deer didnt even cross this property, bed, or feed there. Now that I have a feeder there I pull a few deer over from the other property. Do I prefer to hunt this way, no. But I do when it's all I have or have time to do.
Now on the other hand, the place I hog hunt has feeders that go basically year around. To pull hogs from the neighboring properties. But if you think hunting a feeder is a gimme you are sadly mistaken! Especially on hogs! They Learn fast and only make a mistake one time! Hardest thing to hunt is an educated hog! juveniles are fairly easy.  And I have never seen a mature buck at a feeder. It happens but I've never seen it.
So to each his own! You are only bound by what's legal and your OWN ethics!
Ps.. Feeders and high fence are two separate things!! One does not necessarily go with the other.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2016, 02:37:00 PM »
I hunt "feed" all the time, be it acorns, clover, corn, soybeans, or persimmons.

Haven't hunted at a feeder, but don't worry what others do where it's legal.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by PistolPete:
Feeders and high fences. Yes, they're legal in a lot of states. No, they're not ethical. The first argument people make in favor of feeders or high fences is that "it's still hard!" as if implying that feeders/fences don't make things easier. But that argument is illogical, since if they don't make things easier, then why do people go to such trouble to and expense on feeders/fences?

Secondly, feeders are not the same as a food plot or oak tree. Let's just get over that lie. If they were the same, again, then why would people spend time and money feeding rather than planting an oak tree?
So are you saying that everyone who hunts a feeder is unethical?

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Crittergetter:
Do I prefer to hunt this way, no.
You said it yourself. If it were ethical, you'd love hunting that way.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
I said I didn't prefer to hunt that way, but I do from time to time. I prefer to hunt larger public ground. I also prefer to hunt the mountains of Wyoming.  But don't always have the time to go there. And to imply that I don't prefer to hunt that way because It's unethical shows how close minded you and others are!
You are bound by what's legal and your OWN ethics!
I don't think for one minute that the way I hunt is unethical.
But I also don't judge others for the way they hunt.
To each his own.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2016, 03:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by PistolPete:
People spend time and money on scents, calls, decoys etc. They also make things easier. Does that mean they are unethical as well?
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Jakeemt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
I wouldn't not because I think it's unethical but, b/c it spreads CWD and thats bad for the deer herd.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2016, 08:25:00 PM »
This discourse isn't terrible but even here at Trad Gang this topic is difficult for some.

I'll answer the question. No I don't and won't. This is more a reflection of how I "grew up" deer hunting in a state (Indiana) where it was and is illegal.

Now I live in a state (KY) where it is legal and have a couple of very good friends who do it.  My son would even like to do it (38 years old) on our property but I've asked him not too, and he respects my wishes. Would I disown him if he did?  Nope.

One of my biggest enjoyments in deer hunting comes from scouting and determining patterns I can take advantage of (ambush).  I have to admit, there are some GREAT trees (huge old eastern red cedars) that I'd love to hunt from, but deer don't frequent these areas during daylight enough to warrant my hunting from them. I think a feeder could turn most of these areas into productive stand locations.

If I resorted to using a feeder I believe I would do so to reduce the need to scout and increase the likelihood that I would see deer in bow range every hunt.

Finally, to demonstrate my inconsistency on this matter:
- I accepted a Texas hog hunt a few years ago and killed a hog and a white-tail doe from a blind with a feeder nearby.

- I've baited the heck to of spring bears and can barely imagine sitting on a Bear stand with any hope of seeing a bear (low densities)

- I will be planting food plots (1/4-3 acres each) on my farm next spring, to attract and hold area deer on my property in greater numbers, more often.

I fault no one who uses a feeder, if it is legal where they hunt.

P.S: This is the kind of thread that someone could get started to flush out folks unsuited for a civil forum.    :)

Offline BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Never
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bvas:
People spend time and money on scents, calls, decoys etc. They also make things easier. Does that mean they are unethical as well?
Not saying that at all. I'm only pointing out that pro-feeder/fence crowd argues that it doesn't make it easier, therefore it must be ethically acceptable.

It's part of a larger issue, and maybe a thread hijack (which I apologize for, if so), but I'm tired of the "if it's legal, you can't judge it" attitude. That logic implies that one's ethics are defined solely by whatever the law happens to be. That attitude certainly makes things simple and clean, which is easier for our minds to deal with, but I think ethics should be more of a struggle than simply reading the rules of a particular state.

The other problem is, then, that one's 'ethics' could simply be changed by a majority of voters changing a law, or by moving from one state to the other. Ethics should have more backbone than that.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 09:44:00 PM »
Super illegal in CO, no dice

Not upset about it either
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
I completely understand and respect your opinion. However, what is ethical by one person may be not be ethical by another. There in lies the "problem".

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 12:57:00 AM »
I have several feeders on my property, and try to have a couple food plots going as well.  I would be just as content, more so, actually, if you were not allowed to bait.  In areas where all of the neighbors have feeders, you will see a lot of the deer spending time on the neighbor's property if you don't have them.  That being said. The vast majority of the time, they will use them after dark.  For the most part, hunting over feeders on my property would just be a waste of time.  It is am effective way to improve herd health in drought conditions, give mineral supplement, and get night but pics of the critters on your property.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2016, 12:59:00 AM »
Pete, since you are from Virginia, how would you compare the ethics of feeders to that of hunting with dogs?

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2016, 01:19:00 AM »
I hunt only on public land so no baiting allowed
I love Bow Hunting

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2016, 07:51:00 AM »
i dont get why some people will say there against the feeder but at the same time will plant 1/4 acre of biologic your introducing something to there habbitat to tip the scale in your favor either way be it corn or planting a food plot just my .02 but either way your playing off of them being hungry
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2016, 12:22:00 PM »
When I refer to "legal" it must be legal before it may be considered for my checklist of ethical. If illegal, no matter if legal in other locations, it is unethical for me to do it.  

If I "think" something should be legal but isn't, my opinion on the matter, matters not. I'm still not justified to do it.

I do agree that just because something is "legal" doesn't mean it automatically meet my ethical standards.  There are MANY things legal that I wouldn't consider doing.

I also believe (for sure in my case) that one's ethics are molded by mentors (i.e. parents) and the law of the land where one growing up hunting.  

I've moved 14 times in 4 states. The laws were somewhat different in each of those states.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Where I lived in coastal SC baiting was legal. I hunted over bait a few times but soon realized that deer mostly hit feeders at night or were so spooked when they approached a feeder that it was impossible to get a good, clean shot. I would rather hunt a trail 100 yards from a feeder as to hunt right near one.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©