3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best target for bareshaft tuning  (Read 633 times)

Offline Pat Ct

• Trad Bowhunter
Best target for bareshaft tuning
« on: October 09, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
I've always bare shaft tuned into a bag of bags but I'm sure it's not the best target into which to shoot, so what would you guys recommend?

Thanks, Pat

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best target for bareshaft tuning
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 12:44:00 PM »
I like hay or straw bales. Cheap, easy to move, biodegradable, and the arrows stick in at their correct angle.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »
Don't matter to me. I respond by where fletched shafts and bare shafts impact target back to 25 yards.
 http://www.acsbows.com/bareshaftplaning.html
shoot straight shoot often

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 02:14:00 PM »
Same as katman for me. Almost impossible to get the shaft to fly perfect unless your release and nock fit are perfect.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »
I use the styrofoam blocks that tractor supply gets in w trailers.  I also shoot into the dam around my pond.  I'm looking at angle of arrow and also how they group w fletched shafts.  The dam at 30 plus yds really shows me when the bareshafts are veering off telling me too stiff or too weak.  The grassy hill provides a good background to observe arrow in flight.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Any homogeneous material will work, if it's relatively new.

Arrows will follow the path of least resistance and even in foam, if there are prior channels from prior arrow shots, the nock will end up pointed wherever it stops after hitting a corridor.

Gery, the EFOC doesn't work as well for the Bare shaft planning method. I used that for years myself...

Other reality is that a pro arrow builder who sold to competitors found that even the most expensive carbons have variance, usually in spine, in a given dozen.  Actually 2-3 per dozen that were out of spec.

Friend told me something I've seen in videos...that the high (stiff) spine side can make huge difference in spine of a given carbon arrow... or wood...

The machines of the Carbon mfgs just roll em in any which way which may equate to why there is variance when hand spined...

I'm buildin a cheap spine tester and fletch cock feather on the stiff side of every one here on out.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
I use rolled up foam but more importantly I watch the arrow in flight and it's easy to see if it is flying nock right or nock left.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
I like my Rinehart Rhinoblock...lots of different faces to use to find shots without holes...I tune at about 12 feet in my basement

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
That tuning guide on Tuff Head site suggests one hitting level and straight at 10-12 then back up to 20-25 and watch the arrow like Reddogge says...

I tuned more precisely when I backed up... But that's with the higher front weight...YMMV
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks Dave that's a different way to get to the next step of field point and broad head shafts tuned.
shoot straight shoot often

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 08:32:00 PM »
Doesn't matter as long as I can see the arrow flight. Black Widow tuning video, works great and very easy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©