3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6932 times)

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Whip:
Right, I am just looking for what I will use as a base.  Climbing will be with LW sticks- already have plenty of those.  
Are the Top Paws a set of two steps on one strap?  If so, it seems like two sets of them would make a great base.  I am also curious about the weight.
Couple of options you can use Whip -

If you can still find one, look for the old Gorilla aluminum tree seat.  They're half the weight of the new steel seats and still plenty strong enough to stand on (rated at 300 if memory serves).  It's small, but it's enough to stand on next to the LW sticks.  I use it with my Tree Saddle.

If you don't mind the penalty of weight, the newer HX steel seat gives a little more room, just remember to take the seat pad off.

Another even lighter option is to use the Hand Climber seat as a platform, but I'd recommend being under 230# for that one, also make sure you've secured it with a bungee or strap in addition to the belt, as if you move weight off of it, it will go for a ride.  Definitely lighter than the Gorilla seats, though.

I've been playing around with other platform options also, trying to get everything down to a smaller, more compact size.  

I have an issue with "trimming" weight with my Treesaddle.      :knothead:    I even made a climbing rig for it and used it for a season.  It worked, weighted next to nothing, but man was it a pain to use.  

Always looking for a better mousetrap!

ETA -

I do have and have used 5 of the old Ameristep strap on tree straps hooked onto a single ratchet strap.  I don't know if you can even still buy them anymore, but in my opinion they were a pain.  Even if you ratcheted the snot out of the set, they still would twist and rotate on you a little bit.  I tried all kinds of things to make them more stable, but in the end I just lived with it until I moved to a solid platform.  

If you're thinking about going the footpeg route, definitely go the screw in route over the footpeg on a strap route.
Support the sport!

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2012, 07:03:00 PM »
Whip

The weight of the Climb Paws is 10 ounces per step/strap.

Greg

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »
Thanks Greg  :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
TTT for BowPlinker
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline BowPlinker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
Thanks  :)
Acadian Woods 56" 3pc Tree Stick
Acadian Woods 56" 1pc Tree Stick
Pine Hollow Osage. 58" longbow
Owner of Calumet Trade Goods
   http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=162;t=000031

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 15, 2012, 03:54:00 PM »
Am I correct in thinking that most of the people using a Guido's style sling use bow quivers?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:00 PM »
I use a bow quiver but I don't think the stand type would prevent using any type quiver a person preferred.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 16, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
I have been just out of ease but I practed in the yard using a cat quiver and it was not a bad addition, just and extra step during set up... One I was strapped in I just used a carbiener to hook the top d loop of cat quiver to the back side of my web...

Okay, I got my bridge in last week and hunted out of it for the First time Sunday... I went with a 24 inch webbing and a rope hook up on the tree! I love it! I actually had a doe come in at 6 yards to I flat out just missed on... forgot to pick a spot... but I was able to lean to her side and had full range of motion on her...

The stand has been a great tool in my arsenal! I'll be adding a set of muddy sticks to it for My piedmont hunt next month! Boy is this a great way to hunt!
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 16, 2012, 05:47:00 PM »
good stuff Beul!    

Bridges.....let's talk about them for a second. basically there are two types of bridges.  flat web and climbing rope.

I personally like to use two sections of climbing ropes identical lengths.( 14-16 inches) this slows down the "sliding of the bridge rope through the carabiner"  when you twist side to side. the web for some reason slips Fast and kind of throws me off balance. So in short I added a section of bridge rope ( i use 2 sections of 16" rope) to slow it down for my bridge rope connection. I do not use the web bridge but plenty of guys do with great comment.

original Guido Web equipment has no bridge accessory. You just cross your chest straps and hook up from tether caribiner. The Bridge technology came from the  the TRophyline Tree Saddle set up.  It really opens up the right side more.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 17, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »
Yea, it was amazing at the amount of Freedom I instantly had with the bridge.... I decided to go with the rope and webbing system because of the ease of hook up and how fast and easily I could move around the tree one handed with the rope.

Now I hate to keep beating a dead horse but platforms I like my strap around the tree with my crawford steps a little heavy but manageable... May go back to screw in steps but still not sold on which I like more...

the platform design you guys are using does that cause your knees to be in the tree? I'm not a huge guy but my legs seem to be touching the tree with screw in steps I can't imagine with a platform...(I am on one very large oak tree) but I still don't see how your knees wouldn't touch)

Also bow holder, I'm using a HME long accessory hook but I still have problems with my arrows touching my knee but my holder is as high as I can get it and still grab my bow? Any advice on a different holder?
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 17, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »
When I sit , my knees straddle the tree.  The strap steps for a base is a neat setup but  ratchets scare me and I am too heavy to get a tight fit.   2 foot diameter tree is about the biggest I will climb.  Bow holder is the cheap screw in  however  I screw an EZ step  head high over left should as a grab bar

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 17, 2012, 11:29:00 AM »
Grab handle that is nice mention I noticed this past week while hunting and thought that would be a great add on, especially with this rope hook up I'm using now...

I agree that it seems a smaller tree is a better way to go... I've seen that when practicing...

So what side are you hanging your bow on...I've been putting mine on the left since I'm right handed with an arrow already nocked... Is there a better way?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 17, 2012, 12:59:00 PM »
The same.. left side for bowholder...i carry about 4-10 extra of those things.. what is neat is climbing a tree and seeing one you left years ago not knowing you have climbed that tree before!

next add on is a pocket sleeve or two on backrest the side my back touches so i can add so heat pouches.. i will just slip them in. one around lumbar and other mid back

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 17, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Not a bad idea I have been using toasty toes for years stuck on each kidney, liver, and pecs they have drastically cut the amount of clothing I wear...

What about the whale bar? Do you think a little padding would help with any quietness I have had it pop a little sliding on the tree but nothing really bad...

I can't decide if its worth putting some padding on since that is what is touching the tree and I kow it will wear out...

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2012, 09:54:00 PM »
You can but wear and tear whatever you tape on will come off. Pine trees are just loud.. I love a sweet gum . It's quiet.  I am going to get butch to make me one 2 inches longer.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2012, 06:00:00 AM »
Yall have many sweet gum in ms?

Ordered a bridge rig from Keith for my web.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2012, 09:48:00 AM »
I use a typical bow holder.  I put it on the left side about level with my strap and around the tree (away from me) far enough so the bottom of the bow is not in my way since it will swing back towards you a little.

You guys should try the ThermaCare Heat Wraps made for the lower back.  I purchased a box last year for my hunts in OH and IL and they worked great!  Attach around your kidney area and stay warm all day.  A great way to get some extra warmth for cold weather hunting.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
DB , we have a lot and basically thats all they are good for.. to climb and deer hunt.!  we mostly have hackberry ( or sugarberry) pecan, sweet gum, water oak,cottonwood, locust, a few red and overcup, ash, piss elm,a little beech,persimmon, touch of hickory. thank goodness no pine ....now thats on the river.......cottonwood is my second choice. Water oak is last choice

what ever i climb, when i get to top where i will attach tether.. i give it hell back and forth nocking off bark under tether to quiet it.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
I've always done my best to stay away from pine trees the noise and the sap are not worth it to me...

I've been on a Water oak my first few hunts and was back on it this morning when I called this guy in to 6 yards of me... Small seven but could be something great next year!

He thought he was the king of the woods, I let him go in favor of better deer on camera.
Shot was there though and with my bridge it was amazing how easily I could turn towards him for the shot, quiet and leathal two very important things to me in the deer woods.

Thermacells I can't find a good spot for it I normally set up with my down wind side on the right so its not the best place to hang it...I've debated getting one of those lanyard holders and hanging it on the tree right in front of me...Any suggestions...

I hadn't thought about simple moving the hook around the tree some to keep the bow off me great idea....

And Joe that step at shoulder height as a handle is amazing! one of the better things I've learned makes standing up to loose rope to climb down so much easier! let me know about that extended bridge you may be on to something there I was texting with a friend this morning who has been debating getting a web after the praise I've given it and I was telling him I wonder if a longer bar would be better. I think maybe worse for climbing down on stick ladder but that is the only negative I could see.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2012, 10:28:00 PM »
any pics of you good looking models in the seat taking the off side shots. i really want to see that!

i love to use my woodpecker drill, i go out mid summer, find my spots, drill my holes, set up my seat, then i come back when and where i want take my slip in bolts and seat.  a little nip and tuck on the shooting lane, and i am hunting. we dont have a problem with screw in's or woodpecker drills here- legally that is.
 and i like to set my stands in alder trees- lots of branches and cover-front and back- i leave the back cover and open up the front cover. movement is a little restricted, but its a tradeoff.

gonna start using a rope and prussics from now on as well!!!- very next time out!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©