3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6934 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2012, 10:50:00 PM »
who's got pics in the seat

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
fuj.."..I got some coming but I have to get my wife to take pictures.. But will get you some right side shooting pics....one thing that makes right side shooting a breeze especially with the rope bridge is I cross my feet.....its so easy
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2012, 11:25:00 PM »
thank JB, really look forward to seeing the pics- i am definately gonna use a bridge from now on.
thanks for all the info- and a great thread

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2012, 05:37:00 PM »
Gave the GW another round of real world tests this weekend.  I continue to get more comfortable and enjoy the GW more with each sit.

I absolutely love the Muddy Sticks with the GW.  I was carrying them strapped on my right side as I walked in but this weekend tried sticking them between the seat and back.  This works GREAT!  At 20" long, they are just a hair wider than the stand itself and I had no issues with them hanging up on brush.  

I also switched the GW webbing that goes around the tree for one of my ropes from a safety harness.  I really like being able to use the prussic knot to adjust my seat height and angle.  I feel this modification will further increase the versatility of the GW.

I am really growing fond of the GW and many of the initial difficulties are quickly becoming non issues as I become more familiar with the stand.  

Joey

Look forward to hearing more about your right hand shot strategy.  I think I understand what you are saying about crossing the feet but would love to hear more details.

Greg

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2012, 03:43:00 PM »
Greg can you post a picture of your sticks packed up in the back of your stand?
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2012, 07:05:00 PM »

You can just barely see the ends of the sticks beyond the seat.

Shot from above

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Wow I have been debating these sticks and thought the measurements seemed close but now seeing it first hand I just sent the money in sticks should be her by Friday... Is that 4 or 5 sticks?
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:00 AM »
Four sticks.  

With my Climb Paw base I can easily get up 12 to 15 feet which is exactly what I like.  Folks that prefer to get 20 feet or higher will need to buy extra sticks or really stretch them out up the tree.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Okay, thanks for the heads up I'll probably pick up one more stick I prefer to be over 15 if possible so 5 and my base will probably get me close I would think... How are you liking those climbing paws? easy to set up? stable?

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »
I love the Climb Paws for my base.  They are very stable and pretty easy on the feet also.  I have had less trouble with the ratchet strap slipping with them than the Ameristeps.  The only thing I think would work better is a small platform but that would be more weight and more bulk.  

I used the Climb Paws to reach elevation for a while but have come to the conclusion that I prefer a set of sticks over the CP.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2012, 01:43:00 PM »
So you are doing four paws on one strap?

Offline mathews8pt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
I havent tried the GW, but i do use the muddy sticks along with a hang on and i love the sticks.  Might have to look into the GW a little more after this season as i would love to make my setup even lighter.
If your not having fun, your doing something wrong!
Morrison ILF  54@28

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
Great thread.  Great conversation.  

Mostly just "listening", but as folks are looking for base options, I would think a hand held climber is not a good choice as suggested, as most don't have any decent looking mechanism.  

Likely not a safety issues as that is the web's job, but you might not appreciate bumping that platform and having it jingle to the ground.

Fun stuff...

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:00 PM »
Keep this one going.  I have a tree saddle, and use 4 ameristeps and a ratchet strap for my base, with 3 lone wolf sticks to get up the tree.  I use a small length of climbing rope with a prussik on it.  The prussik has a locking beaner that I clip to my bridge.  I will probably never own a climbing treestand again.  The web definitely looks more comfortable, but it looks more restrictive.  

I wish I had one or two more steps to use on the ratchet, or a better platform idea.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »
Yep using 4 Climb Paws on a ratchet strap.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 24, 2012, 08:19:00 AM »
Ground to hunting what do you think your time frame is? As I know you know as well as I do its hot down her in Ga and sweating is a problem so hunting scenario is it faster than a climber?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 24, 2012, 08:57:00 AM »
Guido vs my old man.    Ol Man twice as fast as my tree step method and 1.5 faster if I am using Lone wolf sticks.  but with my Guido since it so comfortable , I arrive early and leave late!    However most stands have sticks or steps already in tact so I just tether and climb, now that scenario is faster than a climber.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 24, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
I agree, I know there is a pay off for each method and a sacrifice in weight for speed...I just like to know how much earlier I have to be there...I'm one to be in the stand well before the sun rises and stay till it is well set...

As for as pre set trees you are right I have set up two already and it is amazing how fast and quiet I can slip in climb up the ladder and buckle in to be hunting.

I will say I climbed a new tree I set up last week yesterday evening that was forked and I was able to get the strap in the fork kind of above me and that was by far my favorite way to sit I felt like I had the most freedom and boy was it so much easier to hook up to with my rope! really is amazing all the ways this stand surprises me each time I hunt out of it.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 24, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »
Beul....i ballpark say ....ground to stand...no prehung ladders/steps/etc...........plan on 20 minutes.....i am 2 minutes per screw in taking my time ..i go 15 feet with 8 steps

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 24, 2012, 10:24:00 AM »
That isn't too bad and actually around where I figured...For a nice morning hunt that isn't a bad set up...my walks are normally twice that long just to get to the stand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©