3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6928 times)

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #140 on: October 24, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
Yeah, I'd say its about 15-20 minutes to get set up.  But I can pick the tree that I want, even if it has limbs, not  just the straight tree with no limbs!  I also prefer the smaller diameter trees that would be too small for a climber.  My best setups are where I can sit just above a couple limbs that give me cover.

It takes about 2 minutes or less if you already have a tree ready to go.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: October 24, 2012, 11:27:00 AM »
My Guidos is here and I've been playing in the yard with it.  As expected, there is a fairly steep learning curve.  I haven't hunted with it yet.

So far have tried a set of Stepps for my base.  Learning curve on setting those as well.  For a bridge, I'm using the tether with a locking beinner hooked directly to the tether. But I climb by first using the tether as designed but hooked into the secondary set of straps on the seat, then hook in my bridge set up, and disconnect the climbing straps.  Seems to work pretty well so far.  

Big adjustment getting used to moving around, especially without using my hands as if I had a bow in them.  Hope to put the setup to a real test in the next day or two.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: October 24, 2012, 12:49:00 PM »
Alright here it is>  Bridge and right shot explained.

Set Up:  this is using my Bridge setup Tree Rope with my Bridge climbing ropes. This set up is homemade obviuosly or order from guy on archery talk. Mine is a little different where i use rope for my bridge instead of straps. Knots in rope stop my designed lateral movement. I can shoot 360 degrees comfortably with this set up.

here is pic of my setup.. Everything is backed up. 2 hooks up on everything.. I am COMING HOME!

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »
If you are using the supplied Guido Tether strap and everything by the Guido book.. Your right shot will be somewhat constrictive.

The following pictures are of me using my Bridge Hook up with 2 different foot placements.

First Foot placement is what i call the stationary.  deer comes to right side and you do not move your feet.

This pic is 90 degree shot. Not to hard.

Here is the shot about 2 oclock!  watch your bow limb maybe smacking your knee!  However with the original Guido hookup, this shot is very hard too do.. This is where bridge pays off

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: October 24, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Here is the second method of foot placement i call the Crossover. If i see the deer and he is for sure coming to right side, i grab my grab bar ( notice tree step overhead in third pic) and switch my feet or you will get good enough to just swing your feet around. This crossover with the Bridge is a must...

Foot placement

Right side shot 90 degress.  piece of cake. Now compare the stationary foot 90 shot with this shot crossover 90 degree shot. Notice in crossover how much further my limb is away from my body... tons more clearance in the crossover

2 oclock ...the impossible shot?  not no more.. Love this shot because the tree is directly blocking your profile..Limb clears knee beautifully...MONEY SHOT

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: October 24, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »
Stationary Foot shot versus Crossover foot shot

Stationary 90 degree shot...notice bottom limb tip in relation to my knee.

Crossover foot 90 degree .....Look at the clearance of bow limb to my knee

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: October 24, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
Nice Post Joe...I like the cross over method as far a I feel I have best base... But I still alway hope they read the script and do like they are suppose too... This post just keeps getting better and better! I'm like the amount of room you have on those stepp ladders there lot more than just a screw in step.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: October 24, 2012, 02:21:00 PM »
I climb with EZ steps and base with 2 Stepp Ladder modified with a four point touch ( I show pics of that in this thread) . If the tree is larger than one shown , I will use Stepp Ladder as a base at 9 and 3 o'clock with long EZ step at 6 o'clock.  Those Stepp Ladder steps are a Godsend to hunting in a sling . If my stand is permanent for the season meaning i will use multiple times, i stick ladder or Lone Wolf to it and use a Batton platform

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
I haven't been on a tree as small as the one in your picture is that the size of trees' you normally look for? Is it a better sit? I've enjoyed my larger trees but I'm starting to see some advantages of a smaller trunk.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
I think the main advantage of smaller tree is less platform steps for a base. I just use two Stepp Ladders on smaller tree as shown.....larger trees, i use use two Stepp ladders and 1 to 2 screw in for my base. Preference tree.........sweet gum about 16" diameter...bark is quiet, steps pop into bark easy, they grow straight with few lower branches to deal with...

Offline beyondmyken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2012, 06:10:00 PM »
I have been following this thread from the beginning and am quite interested.   To anyone currently using, from Joe's pics above, it looks like you could slide out of the seat?  Is there a waist strap?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2012, 06:53:00 PM »
beyondmyken

The stand has leg straps that Joey did not have hooked up while taking the pictures.  I think it would be impossible to fall out of this stand unless some part of it failed.

Thanks for the pics Joey.  

I checked my watch the other night and it was 15 minutes from time I hung my bow up to quit hunting to the time I was throwing stand on my back to hike out.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: October 24, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
beyond...I wear them climbing up to keep my web on my back higher but not when  I hunt. Notice the shoulder straps and the rib straps. my arms  are through them. There is no way I could slide through the web.  When you fall ( which I have ) your butt  hits the seat and you slam into the tree but only so hard since the bar keeps you off.  That might be the next YouTube!     how about it Dave

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: October 24, 2012, 07:17:00 PM »
This Is Great stuff. I was in a stand to day and Butch called to tell me that my web had shipped. I'm off to northern Va in the morning to try and kill a big buck on video. I can't wait till I get back and try out the web . I got a place close to my back door that it's gonna enable me to shoot the biggest buck of my life. thanks Joey for starting this up .
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
good luck Don...keep us posted... Hope you miss the hurricane

Offline jjwaldman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
Joey, for the two o'clock shot, I usually just ease my way to the left around the tree.  I put my tie off rope (I use the same type you do), just about as high as I can get it.  This gives me the freedom to move almost all the way around the tree.  

The crossover move is definitely the way to go if you want to shoot to the right.  I don't have those nice steps, so it is harder for me to do.  Do they still make those steps?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2012, 12:44:00 PM »
JJ ... they sure do but Jim sells them one stepp at a time for insurance reasons.. You can reach him by email. You Tube ... Stepp Ladder.. and his email pops up on the video.  Howwever mine are a little different than Jim's where i made mine a 4 pt touch where his is a three point touch. i bought mine and had a welder split the bottom contact point to make two...HUGE improvement.  3 pts work obviously but i am 230lbs and it always had a little wiggle.

here is my modification.. notice bottom strut. on Jim Stepp original, that is one bar contact, you can see where i split it to make a 2 point contact for bottom

Offline 57HOP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2012, 01:30:00 PM »
I use the Treesuit and find it to be comfortable, stealthy, and versatile. Takes longer to strap in than my lone wolf climber, unless I have a climbing systom in place. I'm still looking for that fast and easy portable climbing system; tried LW sticks, Stepp Ladder, Ameristep strap ons.

So far I have settled on Sportclimbers spurs for compactness and light weight, when going into an unknown area. I use screw in steps for my repeat setups, but had 5 steps removed and my haul line cut last weekend...

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
it sure has gotta be tough to try and hunt areas where there is a lot of human traffic. i sure like the woodpecker hand drill and the bolts- quick and easy set up, and the bolts are real cheap. its also so easy to pack into the bush- all you need for a stand setup fits easily into one pocket!!
-affordable- no theft- compact!!!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #159 on: October 26, 2012, 11:26:00 AM »
Fastest climbing aid system i have seen and used besides my Buckingham tree spikes...is a Lone Wolf climbing stick...Rapid rails close second..Summit Buck steps third...Woodpecker drill close fourth ( I could be faster but cant drill fast left handed).Millinium Stick ladder (BULKY)distant fifth ...Jim Stepp Ladder sixth..EZ Screw in Steps seventh and .........dang i just realized i have spent some money over the years but still own all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©