3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6943 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 04:41:00 PM »
Maybe Guido can drop ship ya'll one at..??.....which Hooters between Macon Ga and Kansas?
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:00 PM »
All of 'em, and the Dunkin Donuts too!!! Chicken wings and donut holes, good stuff.

I'm pullin the swamp buggy to Kansas,I've spoiled Biggie so bad he won't go unless I take it! It sure beats luggin those Desloge stands all over the property, but it's cold in the mornin.

Offline jbb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
Weather is getting nice up here in KS:

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Thanks jbb, but Biggie won't let me look at the weather anymore he says" we're goin anyway, what's the difference!" A month ago, I told not to come down for the weekend cause of a rainy forecast, we never got a drop! He wasn't happy with me at all. So I quit lookin, but it looks good.

Offline hogdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
a coonass huh? thems fightin' words. That's some fine photography if I do say so myself.  never mind the stand where would a fellow get a hat like that? You and Terry Green must shop at the same place.
PBS regular Member,
but most importantly father to my two girls !
The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government _Thomas Jefferson

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »
Your right you are definitely not a coonass.I haven't seen any white rubber boots in your garage. Hogdancer,Your a special photographer to make my camo glow like that!?..TG would love a hat like this..then there would only be 2 of us that would wear an ugly hat!...I love an Ugly Hat..

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
Anybody started hunting out of guido's since this thread started?
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 07:18:00 AM »
I don't remember ever seeing this thread before, but just read through the whole thing and also the Guido's website.  Sure does look like a fantastic stand.  And I know for sure that if something makes Joey happy is has got to be good!  
I have a lot of stands already, but can sure see situations where this would be perfect.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 07:42:00 AM »
I'm a faithful Tree Saddle user.  Can't imagine going back to a typical style stand.  Once my LW sticks get here this week, I'll have endless stand sites.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
My buddy has one.  It's the Cadillac of saddles no doubt.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2012, 09:58:00 AM »
Yesterday was my 1ST hunt out of Guido's Web.
 It was VERY comfortable. ( I am 5'10 / 200 lbs. ) I had to work 2ND shift and only got 1 hr. of sleep. I had no problem getting a few naps in the web. I hunted 7 hrs. strait and could have set all day.
 I did have a few issues setting up , but that was my fault. You need to iron the bugs out and have plenty of time to get used to your set up. I am using 4 Lone Wolf stick with 3 Step Ladder steps as my platform.
 I will probably us some of my other stands but the Web will be used the most.
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2012, 10:03:00 AM »
Yea, Joey got me intruiged by this one back when he made this post.  I never did buy one but have been considering it.  Looks like a great mobile setup and looks more comfortable than a conventional stand.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:00 AM »
I look forward to hearing more.  Not trying to be a naysayer- but I have some experience here. . . hope to hear others.

I hunted out of a Treesaddle, but found a few issues:

-Though you can sit in different positions for sure, I still found my feet hurt on tree sticks or pegs all day.

-I am much more versatile out of a standard stand, being able to move slowly and change position easily for a shot if a deer comes from one side to the other (it takes a lot of movement in the saddle/web).

-I also have found with a 28-30" long stand I can shoot out behind me pretty easily- so I figure I still have 270 degree of shooting.  

- To shoot 360 out of the saddle you have to be on a telephone pole-tree.  I like limbs around me and I don't want to clear every limb on a new sit.

-With the saddle or web you have to face the tree, which means looking through the tree as you hunt.  It was very distracting to me.  As a deer approaches you have to decide which way it is going and maneuver for that shot.  

- The saddle works great when I take another guy- as I don't have to shoot.  I can lay around and even safely take a nap in that thing.

As far as portable and lightwt.- I hunt portable already- rarely hunting the same place twice. And honestly, I can get up and set a stand faster than the saddle. It takes UNDER 10 min. to get from base of the tree to hunt ready.  My stand only weighs 4# more than the web or saddle set-up (and I still carry LW sticks whether saddle or stand).  4# is negligible on my back.  

Look to see more experiences.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
Interesting points Dan.  I was seriously thinking about pulling the plug and ordering one of these.  But you've got me to thinking.  

If you're facing the tree and it looks like a deer is going to pass on the right side of it, seems like you would need to manuver 180 degrees around the tree for a shot?  Or is it possible to swivel to the right and have the tree on your bow arm shoulder? (for a right handed shooter)  I'd love to hear more from those that have used them.    

I'm going to be spending a week at the cabin hunting next week.  As I sit in my stands I'm really going to think about the saddle and see if I could put it to good use in my existing locations.  I'm still thinking it would be great with the right set up, but am going to think it through a little bit before plunking down the cash.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
I agree with KSdan...again    :thumbsup:   his points that he made above are one's that I agree with. I had a GW and wanted to like it but in the end my little loc on and sticks seems to be what works best for me. My utter respect for Joebuck and his hunting experiences certainly gave me alot to chew on and think about but in the end its all in what works for YOU and thank goodness we arent all alike but it sure is great to talk about it all!!
"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
I hjad a tree saddle for several years. I hunted out of it quite a bit. I decided it wasn't for me. It was just as much work as putting up a stand. I use a couple original Loc-On stands when I am moving day to day.
Trying to get a shot if the deer did not come on the right side of the tree involved too much motion and I would get picked off. When a deer is 50-60 yards away and headed for you, you cannot always tell which way it will go.
In a stand I was more comfortable and found it easier to maneuver for a shot. I also like trees that have limbs and crooks for cover and the saddle doens't work well in those.
End result, I felt I gave it a fair try but went back to a hang on stand and am happy with that.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
Whip- you almost have to use the thing to see how it swivels;  it really does have a lot more swivel than you would think!  To shoot to the right, just imagine you are first facing the tree- bow is in left hand (bow arm).  Now in a semi-seated position with your feet on pegs, just literally spin to the LEFT (not around the tree but in the same seated position). The pivot point is on the strap and you will now be facing 180-270 degrees away from the tree as your waist is still almost facing the tree.  As you are facing away from the tree you can actually lean out with only you right foot on a peg (all your weight is suspended on the pivot point of the strap).  Does that make sense?

As I stated- it can be done, but also imagine all the movement you have to make to swivel around.  I like standing on a regular platform and slowly moving my feet and body into position.  

Hope all who read my posts know that I am not disparaging others who are using it with success.  Lots of different ways to do things.  

I too heard on the front end all the positives, and tried it for a couple of seasons. I do think it would work much better for the compound guy.

I am surprised how many guys do not realize how portable, efficient, and quiet a simple lightwt. stand and sticks can be.  I have been hunting with one set up for 15 years. Set up and take down every sit- keeps me mobile and adjusting continually as I need to.  Virtually every mature deer I have taken or encountered was first time on stand. Once guys see me hunt this way- more times than not they start doing the same thing.  

Good Hunting
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
This is what I use as a platform with the web. The steps lock in tight and do not move. These give you more surface area for your feet.

NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2012, 04:28:00 PM »
Dan, may I ask what lightweight stand you are using?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:00 PM »
this has been a fun thread and topic to discuss on.  basically you have to divide this topic into two categories.  TreeSling type stands versus Fixed stands and then Guido Web versus Treesaddle.  

I advise anyone contemplating buying a Guido Web to first look in the classifieds or borrow your buddies first. this  is a totally different way to sit a tree and is not for everyone.  the ones it is not for well they know right off the bat usually.  it takes a season or two for most to get confidence.  I have been in one for 8 years and I am constantly tweaking still my setup

First reason I switched to a Treesling facing the tree type approach versus a fixed stand ......concealment.....I hunt low... 10 12' feet.. it's hard pressed for a deer to pick me off when my torso is behind the trunk. this advantage was noticeable on my very first hunt . I was in a Tree Suit. ( y'all remember them?).     It's pretty neat watching deer routinely walk under you because they have no clue.

accuracy......I just shoot better out of Sling type stand. I use the quido web. because I can shoot with a straight torso like the way I practice on the ground, my shooting stance is the same out of web as it is in front of the bale. Unlike a fix stand where you have to bend at the waist.  pretty simple when you lean off the tree with a straight torso.  no vodoo or Kentucky  windage to compensate for .  It's one of those things you have to try it first

Safety .. Guido is Bomb proof..  You ever heard of anyone falling from a Guido?

I get sleepy......a lot.....sleeping in my web is one of the best part of the hunt    :)   .  

Weight. 10 lbs with my EZ steps.. I have been Around the circle on all types of climbing stuff....back to basics.. Screw in steps with a platform at the top Batman made me.. I love it.

Quite....a nylon strap is pretty quiet versus my old climax chain on . Never second guess switching my weight and fearing the CREAK!

Trophy line Bridge System is an attachment some Guido guys are using which is basically a trophy line hook up on a Guido web.. really opens up the right side shot more.

CON

definitely the right side shot from 1 to 5. However it is so easily corrected.. MOVE... I always set up for left side shot.. However if that right side shot is developing , I simply move my feet to left over one peg each..  I mount a screw in step over my head on left side for what I call a grab bar.  When moment arrises, I take that quick step around the tree to get in position. THIS is where I have found  through conversation where  most disgrunted  treeslingers  get hung up. They won't MOVE.. It's like they are locked in. Not me, I am a 230 lb orangoutang  up there.

Another Pro.
Climbing.... Like I said before , when dust clears , I am a screw in step guy.. Only use EZ steps... They are the best. I have sewn  2 extra loops on my tether strap where I simply sit in my Guido and screw the step into the tree, then step up sit down and screw another.. Talking about comfortable... It is the way to go...no more lineman belt to do this. I just hang
from my tether.

Warmth?   What?   Absolutely.  I hunt downwind  so it sure helps when I put that tree trunk between me and that north wind ripping off the Mississippi river in Jan...

shade.. Vice a versa.. In hot early season, I will move around the tree to the shade side before magic time to keep cooler.

Hopefully these are some tips to ponder to those seeking knowledge on this style of hunting. I must warn you however, once you start hunting this way it is extremely hard to hunt out of a fixed again. personally I feel like I am going to fall right off the front of a fixed stand when I tired hunting them.. Of coarse I wasn't but it was weird.

Have I mentioned my L 4 and L 5 quit hurting?      :)  

I own all the Treesling type stands except the Anderson. I am a Guido Web man all the way.

Good luck

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©