3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2012, 08:48:00 PM »
Good summary JB.  I think I'm seeing where that right hand shot can work.  And I can visualize some spots where that set up would be perfect.

On my own place I set up a bunch of stands and they stay up all fall so that when I have guests they could hunt as well.  I don't see changing that very much.  But there are still always a couple of spots that pop up throughout the fall where I wish I had a stand in place.  It also would be great for out of state hunts or anytime I am anywhere but on my own land.  

One other question - can you wear a pack of some type over the top of the Web when walking in to your stand?  I usually carry a daypack with all the odds and ends that I seem to need or at least like to have with me.  Or would it be easier to strap the Guido's to my pack and put it on at the tree?  That's how I carry a stand and steps in now.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2012, 11:23:00 PM »
hey Whip my turkey hunting buddy, I carry two different packs ,one and then the other.. Fanny pack or 2000 sq in light back pack.. To tote , I simply fold them in my Guido. I simply undo my web and place pack between seat and back rest then fold back and snap.  I have a grappling hook pull line and when I get where I am going I grapple up my bow, pack and what ever.  The new Guido have some room on back of seat but it could be a better design.. I asked Butch to do this but he rolled his eyes.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
Heres a link to another site thats shows the Trophyline style tether rope used with Guido. This has helped some with the right side shot

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1615264&highlight=guido

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
Ok, I'm sold.  Just completed my order.  I'm thinking this is going to be just the ticket in Kansas next month!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2012, 02:20:00 PM »
Be sure to pack your thermos , you can sit all day and catch a nap. call me when you get it...we will start on the Cliff Notes  :)

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I used my Guido's some last year but felt very limited in the movement on right hand shots and staying ready during one encounter with a young deer that kept hanging around for a while before I could take a shot.  After talking to JoeBuck again about the stand, he and a couple others mentioned the bridge set up.  I made a bridge to use this year.  It has made a world of difference in the versatility of the stand and I think with the bridge set up, it will be my "go to" stand.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
hey Greg I was wondering how things were working for you!  Good deal

I have  talked to Butch ( inventor and owner  of Guido Web). on two different occasions about the bridge and his thoughts. I will just say he wasn't that open. I can understand so , Guido is his baby and to have someone "suggest" sutle statements on product improvement, well it wasn't my best sales pitch  :)

but the Bridge is real.. definitely I encourage all Web owners to make one or buy one. it really makes the Web Trophyline Like!   now with that being said....I have alot of confindence moving on deer in the tree so I will walk over a step or two to get that right side shot  simple  but for those starting out. The bridge is a great adjustment. But let me interject here........I maybe have 1 out of 30 shot opportunities that develop into a right side shot...  Factoring in the anticipated deer travel, food source and wind...a left side set up is really not hard to implicate and Most of time ,deer behave like they should.

Again my 2 cent advice for Guido guys is.......strap it on and dance with it....move around in the tree...

Offline heydeerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2012, 06:13:00 PM »
I used to be a dealer for the Treesuit years ago. I sold and used them. I recently bought a web and made a bridge out of an old Summit harness. I did not care for the harness anyway and almost threw it out but I have a hard time throwing anything out because I just might need it. Paid off this time. I really like the web. Safer than the suit although it was pretty darn safe. Much more comfortable. I am using muddy sticks to go up with some plastic ameristeps on a ratchet strap.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Joey:

You gotta picture of this "bridge"?

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2012, 07:44:00 PM »
ho, follow the link on archery talk and look on page 3.  Pretty simple, u could make one..Basically you hook your left and right caribiner to a 16" strap...this strap slides back and forth through a carbiner that is secured from the tree.. Allows you great movement left and right. this is how the old Trophline or Green saddles use to work.. great and safe system.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:00 AM »
The hip rotation allowed with the bridge has helped me be more versatile with the GW, but the extra length it adds has helped me just as much.  I made a fairly short bridge but the extra length has made it easier for me to move around the tree for shots.  Still have not taken a shot at an animal but definitely works better for me with bridge than before.

I made my own bridge from some poly rope.  I tied a loop in each end then half hitched the tag end around the main line and then tied another knot in the tag end to lock it off.  I made 3 identical bridges and use all 3 twisted together prior to hookup so it forms one round batch of rope.  Probably overkill but makes me feel safer and I notice no difference in how it works.  

I will try to take some pictures when I get a chance and post them in case anyone is interested.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
I think Guidos web is superior to other saddles I've used, but I have one that sits because it makes too much movement and noise when you have to position for a shot.  I love it for Gun hunting but for the longbow or recurve I found it to reduce my shot opportunities.  I use a lone wolf climber or the sticks and stand and these two stands serve me well 99% of the time.  I reserve the web for long sits with a firearm. It is really comfortable. The other slings and such I found to be just as problematic.  

Just my .02

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:00 PM »
I'm just reading this to learn my Kansas hting partner is sneaking in a new tree stand set up without my knowledge!  That does it...I'm looking up Guido's Web tomorrow.  Joey tell me more about L 4&5 as I had a laminectomy in July.  Sounds like it maybe a comfortable sit with back problems...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:00 AM »
Might as well just have it shipped here Jeff so you don't have to fly with it.  :D  

I received a confirmation of my order that said they were about 2 1/2 weeks out on shipment.  Don't delay!  :readit:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2012, 06:27:00 AM »
I got Guido's number in my phone. I'm calling him today and get mine coming.  Also getting my son to buy out the local supply of the cranford EZ climb steps at the store he works at. Got to get me some 3/4" tubing and make me up a few platforms and after I learn how to shoot out of it, I'm in business.

Joey, anything you would do different on the platforms if you had to do it over? I still got a pattern from when I built yours.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: October 03, 2012, 06:33:00 AM »
Oh what I would give to be retired, glove compartment full of tags and a camper shell filled to the brim with bows  and arrows and assorted gear !!!!!

Jeff , your in luck because Guido's technical partner is a chiropractor who helped in the back design.  It has an adjustable strap that for lumbar support. Also it has adjustable straps the let you lean back like a lazy boy or up right . You would be hard pressed to find. Guido thread where the word comfortable is NOT used.  It is PERFECT stand for an ailing back.

Ok with my sales hat off.  Guido web is  not for everyone. First time in one it's weird be ause your facing the tree plus the straps ..  I have hunters that have them love them or sell them.  Butch builds about one or two a week. I have been to his shop and believe me it's all handmade. In fact the stand is overbuilt but he is big on safety . I like that.  Now if your in a pinch for time.  Try archery talk classified  I saw a couple over there. This is my eighth year for the Web.  I hunted off and on before that with the TReesuit and greensaddle (trophy line) with tree spikes which I eventually realized spikes aren't for a fat man. So there is learning curve so don't go cold turkey!!!!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »
Don , I would not change a single thing.  Your platform just compliment the web perfectly.  I showed it to Butch and he said that was exactly the stand he has wanted to build for years but because of insurance he has decided not to offer a base .  Tort lawyers!!    The Bedliner I coated my stands have been great with no rust.  I will be in mine tomorrow morning over a persimmon grove.   Be my first time up.  Can't wait.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
My web came in a few days ago...I am goint to go with the no sticks method using webbing to climb but I feel a pair of LW or muddy sticks in my future...I'm using crawford ezy rope on sticks put on a single ratchet for a base.

I've shot a quite a few arrows out of it with my old Martin Recurve (shortest trad bow I own) at 58" but I have had no problem putting an arrow through the pump station of my foam targets..

I have a 10 foot stick ladder and a few old screw in steps that Im dying to put up on an old crooked oak tree next to a nice bedding area. I feel the web is going to be perfect for this...

Looking at the tree has been different by I'm kind of use to it...I was in the habit when I was a compound hunter of using a tomcat to shoot my bow out of on an uncle's land.... (trees were too small for my API)

As far as comfort and ease of use...My dad is 57 years young and after 10 minutes of sitting in it he is trying to talk me in to letting him use it on his Indiana hunting trip in November...

I'm hoping to get a little blood on it in the next few days but time will tell.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
That's great Beauleye.  Please look at the archery talk thread  link and try the bridge strap.  Very simple to use.   Really opens up that right side shot.  

Great idea on. Cranford rope steps on ratchet. I ah e used API before but. Or ez ropes

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©