3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2012, 11:30:00 AM »
Don or Joey- any pics of this custom platform? Sounds interesting.   I have all the parts needed to make a bridge, so will definitely be doing that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Joe I'm a little ahead of you I've read the Archery Talk form quite a bit and actually is where I picked up my stand from...

As far as the steps I'm not one to pay 100 bucks for something plastic, I'll give a few extra ounces of weight up for a solid metal platform...

I'm debating on investing in a gorilla strap on seat to use as a platform...

I'm going to wait and give it a few sets before I invest though if the strap on steps work fine I'll sick with them...The fold up and fit nicely in my fildline packs I added to my stand...

As far as bridges go I went with a 60cm piece of webbing from a rock climbing site that I'm thinking will work out fine and has a stronger working load weight that the original strap...

I'll post some pictures when I get it all together but so far I'm extremely pleased with hows its coming about and think its going to be nice on my Piedmont Nation Wildlife Refuge hunt this year.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
A buddy of mine uses ONE LW stick with the extension strap with his guido.  Not the fastest, but three or four setups and he's plenty high.  Guido keeps you attached to the tree at all times.  Very light pack in when going deep.

Just a thought for y'all
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2012, 05:40:00 PM »
I need a coach so I'll try Joe's in Kansas...maybe just maybe if he tags out early  :rolleyes:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
I got a treesaddle from a guy here on TG two years ago.Gonna use it this season to hunt with.I've only practiced in the yard with it and set up trees with it and I absoulutely love it.I def want to give the GW a try as well.

The best part of any of the sling/web type stands is all you need is tree steps and you can have a TON of locations ready to hunt,vs. a 100-300 dollar stand at every tree.

I also love it because it is so portable and light weight.I wish I'd have got one of these alot earlier. :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Toecutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »
You guys are the WORST!!!  Just ordered a web...  :readit:    :D  

Nathan
"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life." RLS

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2012, 10:01:00 PM »
I can't believe I posted this 5 years ago!!  Just flipped over to first page and saw date.  

Bueleye.  Good luck on the ractchet step set up around the base. I never trust the ratchet plus no matter how tight I got it, there was some stretch. Be careful about the EZ step rope steps being threaded through a fabric strap.   Metal and fabric???..you never know.  I weigh 230 and just too big for it I guess .

Thoughts and ramblings

Lone wolf sticks.  I used them one season and love them.. Jimmy rigged a double step for the top to use as abase.  Probably my second favorite setup.  But I hunt the same ole trees every and sometime leave stickson.  Well squirrel love them too and eat the knobs off.  

Bases....I have put oil on here of different bases from rope rachets to homemade custom half stands but I do use the bottom sometimes of a chain on stand  as a base like a climax stand.  Man ole man is that a sweet set up for a tree you hunt a lot

Right side shot....I can be a challenge to shoot from 12 to 4 o'clock if you are facing the tree. There are several ways to skini this cat, old days I cut the leg straps off so I could spin my butt in the seat and shoot that way, then sometimes just let the deer walk off and him for a dump shot at 7 o'clock. Or this is what I do now, I grab my grab step and walk around the tree clockwise 2 steps and shoot him them.  But you have to get confidence to move on the deer when he is like 70 yards away or further..got to be thinking

The Brace....it really opens the hips around for the right side. It is the same set up as the old trophy line... It is a great setup. I advise you give it a try however Guido does not sell it or endorse it.

Screw in steps... Never like them till I read a book by dr Robert Shepard. He has a drawing of a PVC pipe he use to install his.. Bingo!!!!  I love them now I can fly up a tree using them.   If I am going to rove the woods with no clue where I am going to hunt till I find a acorn tree that is hot, well I take a dozen steps in a fabric fanny pack and shoulder my Guido, then I am off.love this light way to hunt.

Sweat... U hunt humid hot places, I advise to routinely spray your web with a good scent killer.  I do it every hunt.  Your back my sweat and you butt.  Didn't know I was leaving scent till one of trail camera took a shot 15 sec clip of a doe jumping out of her skin when she smell where I laid my web on the ground 4 hours before...treat it like your clothes and you will be great

Why do they work?    Forget about deer busting you and looking up. They just don't anymore. The tree trunk hides you so well if you set up that way. I am throughly convinced if the Wensels had been using this stand when they started bowhunting..well they would be famous by now.,!

Do you need the lineman's belt.  I do for crossing limbs but I do not climb with it. If you have ever slipped off a step with just a loose lineman belt holding you. ?  You will lose some skin and a tooth or two.. I use the Tether belt to climb.  I walk up to the tree an tether around it then hook up.it get my tether just loose enough where I can use it sort of like a lineman and go up the sticks or ladder like that.. I am locked in and this is a extremely safe way to climb... If I use screw in steps then I tether up again but I sewed two extra loops on my tether belt that keep me extremely close to the tree when I screw the steps with most of my wait in the seat of the not my legs.. Man ole man what an easy way to put in steps.  Take note if your reading Butch..haha.  

Good luck to the Guido mafia guys.. I going up my favorite tree in the morning for my eight year in a Guido... Trying to think how many deer I have bowshot out of my web ?  

I change up something every year on my web..but that's just what I do and that's is another thing about Guido web. They are fun to hunt out of.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline SpeirHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2012, 10:09:00 PM »
Any chance we can get pictures of the pvc step mod? Please and thank you.
Livin' the Bayed Life.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 07:02:00 AM »
Whip here is the only pic I have. this was taken while I was building them. The top would be covered with expanded metal just like other tree stands.  It's just a small version of a climax stand base.

Got mine on order yesterday. Don't call Butch unless you got some time. Good luck in Ks.

"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
That is a concern of mine Joe, so far they have worked good in the yard but I've thought about drilling a hole in them and putting a bolt with a point through them to make them dig in the tree when I ratchet them down to the tree...I'll have to tinker with it though... I'm kind of like you Joe I'm never satisfied with my equipment...No matter how well it works.
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
Amen to that. Heres one of my 3 types of bases i use for the Guido setup. This was the Stepp Ladder ingeniuosly made by Jim Stepps of Maine which is out of production unless you call him direct. His original Stepp was a 3 pt contact with One prong that dug into the tree for botton support and other top at top. My 240 lbs would rock this and never could get that piece of mind ROCK SOLID setup. Jim also weigh 160lbs!!  So i got a welder to split the prong, add horizontal bar and BINGO i got a 4 pt contact instead of original three....Love them now!....Just another Joebuck jimmyrig.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 11:42:00 AM »
Heres the platform i use for trees i hunt very often. Don Batton made it for me and i can not find anything to change. Of coarse i am so OCD i made one out of wood and sent to him to copy and for a redneck welder, he is pretty dang good!!!

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »
Plenty of room for 2 feet...Its the Cat's !@#$

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
The Don Batton Platform which i call the Batform! is my favorite.

Second favorite is the Jim Stepps Modified with Cranford EZ Steps.. Paul Brunner put me on this company in 1989 . These are the ONLY screw in steps i will use..

So this system is 2 Stepp Ladders with screw in step. I climb with screw in steps, Notice how my last screw in step is over my Jim Stepps ladders. I like to step down on my stepps.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
When i get some time i will post pictures of a typical Guido Web tether system and a Guido Web Tether System modified with the Bridge ( homemade strap to open up right hand shots)

OOOPPS i forgot..to mention.. Don made those platforms for me as a favor . he doesnt sell. he grows hay for a hobby and hunts and cooks for a living so in short....Get Your Own Friend to weld!!.....seriuosly hope this help those that want to improve their equipment.

I was thinking in the tree other day and i have killed 19 deer out of Guido in 7 years so i have a lot of Guido time in short but always love learning from others , so chime in!

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
Hey Joey, is that fried chicken on your right shoe?  (LOL)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
It is Ho and a Yellow Jacket is licking the chicken grease on my left ankle.  even our yellow jackets in Mississippi are fried eating coniseuors !

Offline ChristopherO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2012, 01:35:00 PM »
I don't want to registar in the archerytalk forum to see the pictures. (too distracted with the few boards I am a member of  :thumbsup: )  Anyway someone can post a picture on this thread of the bridge?
Thanks

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2012, 02:24:00 PM »
Hey Christ..here is a pic of my Joebuck Bridge. Same technique as Trophyline set up but I keep my Guido Web Tether.  I sewed two extra Short loops on my tether i use to screw in steps. So i hook a carbiner up to those two loops with about 14" of climbing rope ( using climbing rope that is made to slide through carbiners!!) and that is it.....I adjust the Bridge ( climbing rope) that is perfect to lean back, twist hips to the right and shoot anything from the right as easy as a left shot. It makes the Guido almost 360 from one foot position.

So you dont want to sew extra loops?  you could just take a big carbiner and hook Over the tehter belt but climbing with it could be bothersome..

Thats it basically.. you can look at Archerytalk pics without joining...go to search and type in Guido Web... then answer security question ..then hit search...Look for thread that says Guido Web with Trophyline set up Rocks!....

or just copy mine.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:00 PM »
So basically when you twist to the right at the waist, the bridge slides to the right to open up that side of the tree. U determine how far it slide by lenght of the climbing rope Bridge.. SIMPLE....it is huge tweak for a great stand. I bet 90% of people that sold Guido stands after they tested them would have kept them if they knew about this homemade adjustment.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©