3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web  (Read 6939 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alternative Tree Stand...Guido's Web
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Here you go Speir Hunting.....

Like i have said before i only use Cranford Screw In Steps. They are head and shoulders above the rest becasue of several reason. Big one is they go into the Tree FAST with self tapping case hardened steel screw. I have 100% confidence when i use EZ screw in steps. I know i am going to come home every night after i hunt.  sermon over.

Just take some 1" ( i think)  PVC and cut off 8-12 inches and take a small bungee and loop attach to keep screw tight when you BANG it into tree to stick. I use the EZ step that the screw can fold into the sleeve but the fix screw step is just as good and honestly goes in faster. Then i basically use the PVC pipe as a cheater bar for leverage..

Notice on the step the tape. That is reflective tape. When i come down, i do not use the pvc pipe but hand unscrew. I drop every step on the ground. When i get on the ground , each step is easy to find with the reflective tape. If i leave my steps in to hunt the next morning etc...reflective tape on steps is easy to find the stand...

Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »
Bridge benifit Explained.

In the below picture, i drew some red arrows. Under a normal Guido Web Tether set up, that BLUE  caribiner would be hooked up to the loop on the  strap coming from the tether.  Now look at that gap or Lenght the bridge allows for the Web to slide to the right thus opening up the shoulders and torso for a right shot. it's a huge tweak. If you were attached to the tether the Guido way, you would have to move around the tree or wait for deer to walk by you then to shoot.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 03:39:00 PM »
here is the TrophyLine set up for a Guido Web they talk about on archery talk. They do not use Guido tether strap at all but climbing rope with a prussic knot and a strap for a bridge.

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »
Okay I spent about 13 hours in my Guido web hunting this weekend and now I have a few thing I've learned and few things I want to change... My bridge supplies should be in today so I can get rid of the original strap, Butch had a good idea but not for me, not enough range of motion, bridge should fix that problem of not being able to shoot with easy on close shots... my question is how do you guys put on jackets in the web? I like to walk to the stand with a light tshirt or shirt and then put a jacket on once I'm in the stand, I couldn't figure out a simple way to do this, my best idea was to put it on at the base of the tree and just take my time to deal with sweat? Is that everyone else's way?

Other than that I really enjoyed my time in the stand I let a nice doe walk on my second sitting but was able to draw my recurve on her and feel I could have shot her with little ease....
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
Now you cooking!  Just a couple things i want to throw at you that you might want to try. THESE ARE NOT GUIDO ENDORESED..and if you knew ME Beaul..you would say No !@#$

1. I shoot with right shoulder strap off....sometimes with both shoulder straps off   :)   BUT my legs straps STAY on. This secures me in the stand.  Tons of freedom this will get you.

2, I always climb up and down totally strapped up.

3.Backyard homework.  Get  one foot off the ground. meaning put steps in tree at 3,6,9,12 oclock. Tether into tree and get in stand. now swing like a dang oranatang or monkey all around the tree. twist ,turn, take your shoulder straps off, put one back on, undo leg straps, twist in seat ...Just abuse it....This will give you light years of Guido experience safely one foot off ground.

4,. Outerwear.. If i need to put a jacket on in the evening. i just sit on it partially and have it snugged up around my lumbar, then take off shoulder straps and put on...its easy...KEEP leg straps on.

Or look at pictures below.. I drilled a hole in my seat and rigged up a crossing bunge to hold my heavy coats. When i want to slip off or put on, then i reach under and remove. I do not like laying or sitting any garment on the ground dispencing scent.. hope this helps

Offline beauleyse

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:00 PM »
Yea, I had thought about having the jaket kind of already on to say and then putting it one so yea that will work...

On the monkeying around the tree... I did that...I wasn't about to get 20 foot up just dangling and no know what I could do...I felt safe the entire time and I really don't see a way to fall out of the stand....

One more question the Y bar.... mind I have sat in oak trees only this past weekend but I know the time will come for a pine and I feel that bar will make some noise... Do you tape, wrap, or anything else to your bar...I've read great things I've read bad things...personally I've never been one for putting things on the part of a stand that touches the tree...But all advice is much appreciated...
There is more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow and arrow, than hunting with the sureness of the gun. -Fred Bear

Offline SpeirHunting

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 04:33:00 PM »
Thanks Joe, I will have to give that a shot.
Livin' the Bayed Life.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 08:42:00 PM »
I'm writing all this stuff down for future reference.
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Posted by joebuck - "I like to step down on my stepps".  

This is the single greatest flaw of the "stepps" joebuck.  They will uncam with VERY little upward pressure.  I thought I had found heaven when I bought a set until I was letting an older gentleman test them out and he barely bumped the step lifting his foot up to step on top of the step and the thing instantly uncammed.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline GreenJeans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »
Great tip on the bungee cord! The web is all I have used since '06.
Remember--Some People are alive simply because it is illegal to shoot them.

Some people can paint the Sistine chapel, some people can finger-paint, and some people just eat the Crayons....

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Joey

Great tip on the bungees.  I think I will add that to my Web.

I have been using Climb Paws as my base to stand on.  I think this is the best way to go if you are not going to have a mini stand similar to the pictures shown previously.  I rig 4 on a ratchet strap and they work great!

I rigged up my bridge exactly like JoeBuck's picture, except I made up 3 of identical length and twist them together to form one unit.  Just did not trust the one piece of rope.  It does not affect the function but sure makes me feel safer.  If all 3 happen to give way some day, then it was just my time to leave this world    :biglaugh:  

https://www.climbpaws.com/productcart/pc/climbpaws-default.asp

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2012, 08:52:00 AM »
ole Green Jeans ...chimed in..He is an ole pro fellows.

awbowman..... Absolutely.... Taking my Stepps from 3 point to 4 pt contact point to the tree was huge. if the tightness of the rope is just not so, it will possibly uncam. there is a learning curve to getting them tight

Greg,.... I stepped on some climb paws at Butchs shop and they were really solid.    So do you climb with climb paws and use as a base?  How is the bulk?  I think they are a great product.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2012, 08:53:00 AM »
Those Climb Paws look interesting. I haven't settled on what I want for my feet yet.  I quit using screw in steps a few years ago.  We have oak wilt problems where I hunt and I was losing too many stand trees.  So for me something light that straps on would be ideal.  The Stepp system steps look great, but no longer made?
Looking forward to getting my Guidos and playing with it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »
Whip, ...I will say the Stepp system for climbing is Slow for me but I like for a base.  for portable climbing , Lone Wolf sticks are as fast as any.  I would fold mine up in my Guido side ways for walking  then for climbing i put up 1 and 2 on the ground and use the Gator Grappler to lift the 3 and 4 sections up.

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »
I purchased a second set of Climb Paws so I would have enough to use them to reach elevation.  They make a GREAT base layer (very stable and comfortable to stand on) but imo take a lot more time / effort to reach hunting height than a climbing stick.  The bulk of carrying is not bad to me but I can see where some folks may find it disagreeable.

I have been using a set of of Rapid Rails as my mobile set up, but just received a set of Muddy Sticks late last week.  I have not had a chance to use them for real yet, but just messing in the yard they seem like the perfect compliment to the Web.  Much shorter @ 20" than the Rapid Rails (~36") and soooooo easy and quiet to attach to the tree.  I carry them horizontally on my right side strapped over my shoulder and the Muddy should be much easier navigating thru the woods and no problem reaching my preferred height of 13 to 15 feet with the 4 pack plus my Climb Paw base.

I own several sets of inexpensive "Rapid Rail" knock offs I purchased from Cabelas that I use for areas I will hunt multiple times.  I can already see the potential for the Muddy sticks to replace all those set ups as they seem that easy to carry and install.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2012, 09:40:00 AM »
Right, I am just looking for what I will use as a base.  Climbing will be with LW sticks- already have plenty of those.  
Are the Top Paws a set of two steps on one strap?  If so, it seems like two sets of them would make a great base.  I am also curious about the weight.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »
In my opinion, LW sticks cannot be beat for a mobile system. After that I would think that the stepps would work great as a platform.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2012, 09:45:00 AM »
Just wanted to add how much I am enjoying this thread!  Good to "kick around" ideas with other guys using the WEB or thinking of jumping into this type of tree stand hunting.

Thanks to everyone for sharing there knowledge   :clapper:

Offline Greg Clark

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2012, 09:51:00 AM »
Whip

The Top Paws have angled tops and are not flat like the regular Climb Paws.  Personally, I did not think these would work as well as the regular Climb Paws if you want to walk around the tree but have no personal experience to base this opinion; just a gut feeling.

I will try to get a weight of the Climb Paws for you this evening.

Offline Don Batten

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »
I picked up 15 EZY Climb screw in steps today for a song. If my plan works out, I'm gonna use the sticks that I have (about 12 sets) for my regular spots and use the screw ins for the occasional walking in the woods found a hot spot application.

I also have a set of tree gaffs but It's been a long time . Can you say thigh burn?
"The older I get, the better I was" Byron Fergenson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©