3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dacron or Fastflight material on a longbow?  (Read 979 times)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
Dacron or Fastflight material on a longbow?
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
I've done some research on both materials and am not a big speed freak but am curious if it is true that fast flight materials tend to make a higher pitched sound on a bow.

Does anyone have any experience with this shooting a longbow?

I'm currently using fast flight on my recurve and it has a very harsh feeling on the fingers whereas on my longbow it has a very soft feel and makes a low hum sound after the shot.

I'm wondering if I should even switch to a fast flight material if it's louder and will require string silencers.

Anyone have any input from their personal experiences?

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dacron or Fastflight material on a longbow?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
Lots of variables to consider.  The blended materials like BCY-X, 452X, 450+ are the quieter in the high performance materials, at least for me.  

Some bows seem to "like" one material better than another, some seem to do fine with pretty much anything.

The big benefit from high performance materials--especially longbows--is the reduced hand shock, along with much better durability and stability.

I personally don't care to shoot a bow if it doesn't have a high performance string on it.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 01:21:00 PM »
Do you think if I put a 450+ string on my bow it would be quieter (or as quiet) and as soft feeling on my fingers as a Dacron?

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
John,

The type of material your string is made of as well as the number of strands has a decided affect on the harmonic personality of the bow.  In my case, I have found that the bows I shoot, both hill style and R/D longbows are significantly better mannered with a skinny D10 (fastflight type of material) string.  I have much less low frequency vibration because of less string mass.  This translates into a quieter shot and less felt vibration in the hand that many refer to as hand shock.  Your experience may be different but you won't know unless you experiment with alternate string materials.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
450+ should be quiet, but again there are lots of variables, strand count and string build being two big ones.  For my part, I've experimented off and on with different strand counts in different materials and I haven't found any real benefits to going skinny or fat in strings.  I like a happy medium, as do my bows.  I've been primarily a longbow and selfbow shooter the past 20+ years, but I also shoot recurves from time to time.  It's been a while since I've used 450+ myself, but if I recall correctly 10 strands was my preference.

I use the size serving that gives me the proper fit.  I can't tell much if any difference in the way a string feels on my fingers when I do this.

It's like bows and arrows and broadheads though--it comes down to what you personally like--there's no one (or two, or three) "right" answer(s).  I've been studying strings and string materials for a good 20 years, and the more I learn the more I realize how little I know.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
I appreciate your suggestions guys. I'm ordering a 450+ string later on unless you guys could suggest a better string to use with a longbow.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
I like BCY-X myself.  It's a blend, similar to 450+, but 1/2 the Vectran, a higher grade of Dyneema, and a much smaller diameter thread.  450+ is 30% Vectran and 70% SK75 Dyneema.  BCY-X is 17% Vectran and 83% SK90 Dyneema.  What that boils down to is a tiny bit better speed and higher durability, but you will need more strands to get the same diameter string (I like 20 strands of BCY-X).

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
I'm with Chad on a couple things - X is my overall favorite.
And pretty much any string served to properly fit my arrow nocks feels the same to me. This is with a single layer cordovan tab. Some must have way more sensitive hands than me.    ;)

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2016, 06:34:00 PM »
BCY X it is than!

Thanks again guys!

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
If it's thinner than Dacron, and on the same bow, it'll be higher pitched noise, it's just how it works.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2016, 08:43:00 PM »
With all the handgun rounds fired in my younger days with less than perfect hearing protections, I am not sure that minor differences register well on me. Fortunately, my Hill style bows are overall pretty quiet.
Sam

Online frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
450 is one of my favorites!                        

10 strands is my prefered size.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
I like the D-10 really well.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
I like the D-10 really well.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 11:13:00 PM »
B-50 goes "thud".

FF goes "doink".

I really don't like the "doink" but let the bow decide what it likes better. Half my bows have FF.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 06:29:00 AM »
Go with one of Chads, Champion Custom strings.  One of the best made.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
BCY-X     :thumbsup:
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 10:29:00 AM »
I have found that I like modern stings on all my longbows as it reduces hand shock. But my recurves can go ether way. Some like modern strings and some like B50. You just have to try it and see what works best.
DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 12:30:00 PM »
forrest d:  If one string feels different on your fingers than the other, it's because of a difference in thickness or perhaps the hardness of the serving material.  Unless you change the serving size, the low stretch string, because it probably has less strands and is skinnier, will cut into your fingers a little more.  

Regardless of which string material you use or the number of strands, the completed serving should be the same size on either string -- the size that the arrow nocks fit.  You get to that size by experimenting until you find the correct size serving thread.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 01:34:00 PM »
Much as I try, dry fires happen.  Nocks break etc.  I may be wrong but I have always stayed with B-50 because I feel like the bow has the best chance of surviving.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©