3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Limb savers work great  (Read 761 times)

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Limb savers work great
« on: October 10, 2016, 06:44:00 PM »
I have been told for a while about how great limb savers can be for quieting a bow but had never tried because I didn't want to ruin the traditional look of my recurve.
I got them mostly to help reduce the overall wear and tear to my limbs but bow do they make a difference with both vibration and noise!
...BTW if you see my mistake in application go ahead and call it lol I wasn't thinking about the whole picture when I put them on

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Limb savers work great
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 07:04:00 PM »
I hate them......they look awful and just seem like they don't belong. Now, let me be clear, the darn things work and I have them on several of my recurves and a couple of my longbows......what can I say!!   :dunno:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
They do help a bow.

A piece of fishing line or floss will slide under the tape and lift her off for re-positioning.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:04:00 PM »
Do they affect your tune?
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
I have not tried them yet, but am considering it.

I would though make sure I have a strap on quiver so you don't have to tear them off when removing a slide on selway  :)
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I hate them......they look awful and just seem like they don't belong. Now, let me be clear, the darn things work and I have them on several of my recurves and a couple of my longbows......what can I say!!    :dunno:  
they definitely work, we just need to make up a good story to get them classified Traditional ... LOL

I do not use them on all my bows but I do try them on the occasional " PROBLEM BOW "
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
I am suspicious that the reason they work on a trad bow is because they slow the limbs down. A compound may not be so affected. It is similar with placing 2 extra silencers on a string- I suspect some of that noise reduction is again slowing the string down. I could be completely wrong. Curious if anyone has experimented w a chronograph.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:07:00 AM »
I think you have them placed pretty well at that location on the limbs.Maybe you saw my posts in the past about them?Or you experimented like me or you have good instincts.Or you got lucky:)

I have experimented with them alot.

I definatly found they dont work well toward the tips.When I shot my brothers Schafer years ago.I know how a schafer should feel without them.His bow did not feel right where he had them mounted.I knew right away the directions were wrong for light limbed traditional bows.You dont want the weight of the limbsaver up thier at the end of the limb.Fine for compounds I am pretty  sure.I wouldnt know about that for sure though.

I starting experimenting with them and placing them at various distances from the fadeouts of the riser.

Some recommended them at the fadeout or below fadeout of riser.In the case of a 3 PC T.D the end of the wedge or below.Doesnt make much sense if you think about it.Your trying to dampen out limb vibration.It wont do much if their not on the limb.At the fadeout or below the riser fadeout is not what I would recommend

So what I found was that 3-4 inches up the limb you get excellant results.They dampen out the limb and reduce handshock,vibration and noise.Just what you want!

I have made many bows very quiet and actually shoot more pleasant with them.I like them on hunting bows.You cant beat quiet and they will make any bow quieter.They will also make an awesome shooting bow that has objectionable noise be ready for the hunt.Thier are bows like that that really benifit.VeryFast,smooth,stable but a bit noisy for the hunt.Problem solved in my experience with limb savers.

I dont find they interfere with Speed when mounted as I described.If it does its neglible IMO.

I even use them on hunting bows that I consider quiet.I know thier ugly.But its not a beauty contest in the woods.A qiet bow is more important and could be the difference between a deer jumping the string or not.

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 10:17:00 AM »
You will have fun getting your quiver off.  I am sure they help.  I like a quiet bow.  When I see limb savers on a bow in the classifieds I move on because I figure it must be a noisy bow.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mitch Edwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 01:38:00 PM »
As far as non trad goes one could argue that skinny strings rubber cat whiskers and carbon arrows aren't traditional either. I use the bow jax myself right at the fades and they really do work. If it works use it and don't worry about whether its traditional or not

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
I use them on all my bows, whether I consider the bow noisy or not, just to smooth the bow's performance. You can't help but notice a considerable improvement in vibration AND noise reduction. I don't believe there is much, if any, speed impairment either. They may just live up to their name also.    :archer2:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 10:32:00 AM »
Originally posted by iohkus:
... just to smooth the bow's performance. You can't help but notice a considerable improvement in vibration AND noise reduction. I don't believe there is much, if any, speed impairment either.   :archer2:  
Interesting comment and reminded me of something...Back in the day when I shot compound bows, one of the documented speed improvements was adding little rubber beads to the string.  I always thought "how odd".  But they are simple and they worked.

When you mentioned this...I wondered if these may be similar.  I don't care that much about speed, but I do like things that reduce noise without reducing performance, if that is the case with these.

Online shoes

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
I ordered a set of the new recurve limb savers. I am curious to see how they do....
Dreams are made taller than we are.  Never stop reaching!
WTA member

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by kadbow:
You will have fun getting your quiver off.  I am sure they help.  I like a quiet bow.  When I see limb savers on a bow in the classifieds I move on because I figure it must be a noisy bow.
Yep I guess I'll be keeping the quiver on for a bit

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
lt-m-grow .... "Limb Savers" are actually mounted to the bow's limbs (which was my main emphasis), but there are small devices intended to be strung onto the bowstring which do claim to increase speed AND quieten noise. I, however, have never used those (only the tie-on rubber spider types of string silencers) so can't qualify one way or the other.
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
Michael,

I put me a set of the big ones on my set of morrison max 4's that were had a good bit of vibration in them upon the shot.  When i put them on, it took out a lot of vibration and made the bow quieter.  I did install mine a little farther up the limb than you though.  I spoke with Bob Morrison about it and he said to install them half way between the fade outs and where the string contacts the limb.  I think mine are about 4" above the fadeouts.   I am going to get some for my centaur limbs as well.  No vibration, but there is a little ping in the limbs.  If it works, it'll be well worth it to me!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »
I have some on a couple of my bows.  They do work, but it sure is nice to shoot a bow like a TallTines Stickflinger where you don't need them to quiet the bow.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
Place them on the end of the fade outs.
You don't effect the limb action and they still absorb some of the vibrations coming down the bow from the tips.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 06:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
Place them on the end of the fade outs.
You don't effect the limb action and they still absorb some of the vibrations coming down the bow from the tips.
Not saying you're wrong or right. But, The manufacturer of my limbs told me to put it about 4" past the fade outs and it is doing a GREAT job!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 06:52:00 PM »
ThenI would stick with that Daniel.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©