3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel's Whitetail Bootcamps 2017  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Wensel's Whitetail Bootcamps 2017
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
As many of you are aware, I have been running my Trophy Whitetail Bootcamps for years in order to hopefully pass down some of the diminishing woodsmanship skills needed for hunting trophy whitetails. 2017 will be my thirteenth year believe it or not. I've mentioned the last couple years this may be my last year for doing them because of the physical efforts involved for an old guy (I'm 72). Well, last spring almost was my last! I scheduled and totally sold out two bootcamps. Because of the demand I decided to do an additional third one. The night after bootcamp #2, I ended up having a heart attack 4/3/16 and subsequent triple bypass surgery on April 6, 2016. I finished four months of cardiac rehab and supposedly I'm good as new. No sweat... well, maybe just a little sweat! Ha. Anyway, thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. I really appreciated that.
Because I obviously had to cancel my #3 session last spring and had to reschedule it for 2017, I decided I might as well have a couple more. I've just confirmed the dates as:
#1- March 16-17-18, 2017
#2- March 30-31 & April 1, 2017
#3 April 6-7-8, 2017
Since the practical aspect of the sessions are held outside in the timber, I prefer to hold them after snow melt but before spring green-up when sign is easiest to read. Easter in 2017 isn't until mid-April this coming year, so the above dates will hopefully not interfere with family schedules. They also should coincide with spring break for any students wanting to attend.
As previously stated, you can read all the books, listen to the seminar/lectures and watch the DVDs, that's all well and good, but when someone takes you by the hand and walks you through the practical application of actually doing it, therein lies the true learning and real understanding. There are just too many gray areas that are hard to explain other than being shown.
I do enjoy sharing my knowledge and personal opinions gained through many decades of trial and error. It's my hopes you can take my proven methods home, apply them to your own area and hand them down to future generations. I walk you into my own personal hunting areas, sharing my opinions, stand placement; why; when; how; entrance/exit. timing, etc. Basically I spill my guts on a lifetime of hunting techniques and theories., condensing decades of trial and error into a three day weekend showing you what to look for. The fact is my techniques work.
Older age has taught me to slow down and cover each situation with a fine-tooth comb. I run each camp on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Thursdays are lectures which set the stage for the next two full days in the timber. This schedule also allows attendees to travel home Sunday to get back to work or school.
I've found small groups of two to four (hunting partners/club members/ dad, granddad and the kids/ husbands and wives, family members, etc.) work exceptionally well in that they can share opinions and relate my findings with their own areas back home. This also give attendees the option to share travel expenses both ways.
My prices have not increased in thirteen years. A single adult is $895. Youth rates 14-18 year olds are 50% off with one paid adult. So a father and single youth would be $1345. total/all inclusive. Prices include the entire three-day session, eight full home cooked meals and three nights lodging in an excellent, modern facility/lodge that sleeps fifteen.
When you consider a typical guided whitetail hunt sells for $1000. per day with meals/lodging, etc. at $895. you get three full days of mini-vacation that will likely change the way you hunt whitetails for the rest of your life. That's a real bargain. Not only is it a lot of fun to share opinions and ideas with a dozen plus whitetail fanatics, at the very least it's a mini-vacation and unique opportunity to compare your hunting techniques with tried and true new methods. This also makes a great/unique Christmas present to yourself or another.
If you and/or your partners would like to consider joining one of the groups, email me at: [email protected] for availability. Most info is also available at  www.brothersofthebow.com  on the menu under "Barry's Bootcamps" or you can contact me for a color brochure. Here's hoping you can join us.
Best wishes for a safe and successful fall. Thanks, Barry Wensel

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel's Whitetail Bootcamps 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Hey UB, I'll check with "The Boss".
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline DaveT1963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Folks I attended this bootcamp a few years back - one of the best investments I have made.  Not only will you be impressed with 'the sign" you see - you will pick up a lot of great info and tactics that you can apply anywhere you hunt.  Barry and his wife are top notch.  Highly recommend.
Everything has a price - the more we accept, the more the cost

Caribow Tuktu ET 53# @ 27 Inches
Thunderhorn takedown longbow 55# @ 27
Lots of James Berry Bows

Online Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
Guys,

I have been to Barry's Camp the last two years in a row and would be going back a third time this year if I was not a full time graduate student! It really is that good. The amount of personal experience and knowledge that Barry shares is invaluable. The camp is first rate and the field experience is second to none! To top it off, Barry's wife Susan is the real star of the experience and by far the better looking half of the arrangement! You will gain a few pounds with the awesome meals she prepares...and then you'll walk it all off!

I really cannot say enough about the experience, I see things in the woods now that I completely blew by two years ago and it makes a difference. Drop the coin and take a bowhunter's spring break...you'll thank yourself next October!
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Offline ghall80

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 09:13:00 PM »
I will be looking into this for sure!!
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway--JOHN WAYNE

Online Wolf1007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 09:37:00 PM »
Get a spot now...they book up pretty quick once he releases the notification on this site! Have fun fellas!
Dale Dye Trails End 60" 55#@28"
Dale Dye Medicine Point 58” 53#@28"
Schafer Silvertip 60" 55#@28"
Stalker Wolverine FXT 60" 51#@28"

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Will be sending deposit check and registration this next week, better jump on this guys.

Offline Jim Boettcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
For those whitetail fanatics on the fence about going, DO IT! You'll thank yourself on the ride home. I sure did. I attended the infamous bootcamp#2 last spring that almost did in Mr. Wensel. So glad you made it Uncle Barry! This area of Iowa that you cover is Mr. Wensel's personal hunting ground. And it is LOADED with deer sign! I've never seen anything like it before. You will walk a lot. And the food, WOW! Mrs. Wensel and her friend do an outstanding job feeding and taking care of everyone! I don't know if Uncle Barry plans on this again; but the highlight for me was going over to his house and listening to hunting stories in his living room! My wife says I have a man crush on Mr. Wensel, and I guess I do. I mean he's a bow hunting hero to many of us here. Heck I'd say he's a legend. So just do it, you will learn a lot from a whitetail wizard. It was an amazing and eye opening experience.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Thank you all so much for the nice comments. I honestly do enjoy sharing my knowledge. Especially so with guys who are appreciative and eager to learn something new, or maybe just to verify they're already on the right track. It's educational and fun stuff. For anyone thinking about it and putting it off,  Camp #1 is completely sold out; camp #2 has four openings left; camp #3 is over half filled. If anyone needs a brochure or has any questions they can contact me at: [email protected]. Have a great season and thanks again. bw

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 10:37:00 PM »
If you are at all serious about hunting whitetails and haven't attended Barry's Bootcamp you really owe it to yourself to jump all over this one.  I had been at this stuff for over 35 years when I attended yet learned so much more in those 3 days it was amazing.  
Do it now while you have a chance!   I promise you will not regret it!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »
I'll second the positive comments above.  I attended Barry's camp several years ago and besides being a lot of fun, it was a great learning experience.  The master takes you into the woods, to his and Gene's stands and explains why the spot was chosen.  No other place to pick up this level of insight.  Thanks for sharing, Barry!
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Krasus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
Sounds awsome. Wish it was here in Canada so I didn't have to fly international.  :(

Too expensive for me  :(  so wish I could go

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
This always conflicts with my shed hunting..    :banghead:

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
Hey Barry, I will double check but I should be in. I will be in touch tomorrow!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 08:08:00 AM »
I'm in. Got my confirmation from Barry. Life has always gotten in the way of doing this , but now finally I'm doing it.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Todd Brickel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 01:12:00 PM »
I'm attending camp #2, very excited!

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 01:30:00 PM »
It's not possible to overrate Barry's camp. Worth every dime.

Offline Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Thank you all again for the nice comments. Sorry??? to say I'm totally sold out on all three camps now. There are always schedule adjustments and cancellations that take place, so if anyone would like to be put on a waiting list please contact me at [email protected] and I'll let you know of any updates/changes. Best of luck for a great season to all. Thanks again. BW

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
Who'scored all coming to week #1?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm in week 2