3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thought It Was Too Windy  (Read 867 times)

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
Thought It Was Too Windy
« on: October 11, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »
I'm curious as to what you guys do about hunting in abnormally high winds. It was blowing consistently at 20 mph with gusts up to 35+ mph here in New Jersey Sunday. I wasn't happy with the conditions but still went out and managed to kill a nice little basket 6 Sunday evening.
How many don't even bother going out under these conditions? If you do, what kind of movement have you seen? Any success? Change in tactics?
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thought It Was Too Windy
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
A number of years ago I recall one day like that around here.  I elected to stay inside.  My buddy went out and shot a P&Y buck.  I have taken that lesson to heart and try not to let the wind deter me, but have yet to take a deer on an extremely windy day.
It can happen, but your odds are certainly decreased dramatically.  Then again, you won't kill one on your couch.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
Almost didn't go last year on opening day due to a strong North wind.  Saw...14, I think, and killed a big doe.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
I'm a firm believer in that these animals live in these conditions year round. Our shelter driven perception of "bad weather" is just another day for these critters.

I was in a tree stand in 25 mph winds and pelting down pouring rain a couple years ago. One of those storms where you tuck your bow under your arm and just hold onto the tree. The all day storm was to pass with 2 hours left of daylight and I wanted to be in a tree when that time came.

I was surprised to see Doe feeding in the middle of a cut cornfield during the harshest part of the storm. From that day on, I usually don't let the weather dictate whether or not I hunt for the evening. But I definately let the weather dictate my strategy for the hunt. (Tree, ground, stalk, location, etc)

Congrats on your harvest! It's pretty satisfying to harvest an animal on a day when everyone you know is sitting this one out due to weather.

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
As a ground hunter,  I love windy days.  You can get away with so much movement.  I almost feel invisible.  They don't notice your movement and can't hear you as well.  I've had alot of close encounters on windy days.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
Go hunt! The only thing I'm leary of is rain or snow because of the covering up of a blood trail
Congrats!

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
It's too windy if you have to shoot them on the rise, like a busted covey!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline John Wesley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
About 6 years ago me and my dad had a 2 big bodied 10 points coming by our stand most nights along with about 10 other smaller bucks. When rut kicked in we got less pictures of them. Then one day one of them started showing up at 8:00 almost exact time every morning. Got on stand the first time I could and ended up being windy. I noticed when he was coming in he would only move when the wind would blow. Like he was using the wind to cover his sound. Only reason I heard him was the wind stopped for a few seconds and heard 2 steps then he stopped. What seemed like 10 min past before the wind started again and he started coming in. Unfortunately when he stepped I tilted my head to see around a tree and he spotted me. All I got to see of him in person was his white flag bouncing away thru the forest.
Bear Kodak Magnum
Surewood shafts
Simmons Treeshark
Banana cut fletching

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 03:49:00 PM »
I generally don't hunt in the high winds. I don't hear especially well on a calm day, but the wind sometimes is just too much. Wind drift is also an issue, because I don't usually practice on very windy days. I guess some days are just better for watching football.
Sam

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 03:58:00 PM »
During the early season I'll skip warm windy days sometimes and elect to use my hunting time during better conditions. During the rut I don't care how windy it is. If I'm able to hunt I hunt. I'll also say that I don't like days with almost no wind either. Those light and variable wind days where not even a leaf is moving.

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
I like the windy days - sitting in a tree can be a bit uncomfortable though.  I'm positive that heavy and swirling wind confuses their nose and eyes.  The downside is they are super jumpy when windy, and I believe it's for that very reason...they know their nose and eyes are somewhat impaired during those conditions.  

Their nose is the hardest obstacle to overcome in my opinion, so heavy winds that confuse them are your friend.

Of course, there are good's and bad's with every scenario for us as the hunter.  It is hard to hear, so you have to be much more in tune visually.  I tend to hunt much more defined travel areas when windy so I'm more confident in exactly where the deer will be coming from.  Treestand hunting is harder, especially if the moving tree makes you uncomfortable.  

Bottom line for me is that I get limited hunting days between working and fun-filled, busy family life.  So whether windy, rainy, hot...whatever negative hunting scenario plays out, I've got to take my chances when I get them.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 05:01:00 PM »
Seems like when practicing in the wind the arrow is a bit hard to control...even with a field point. A broadheaded arrow is worse.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 07:17:00 PM »
I hunt when I can.  I feel like I do not get out as much as I would like anyhow.

Congrats Dave.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 10:04:00 PM »
Still hunt upwind, or call downwind on the real windy days.

Stalking corn fields can be good fun too. Walk the rows upwind, zig-zagging back and forth to check multiple rows as you go. Use the wind to carry your scent away and cover the sound of the corn stalks rustling as you walk.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
I've taken a lot of deer on windy days. Love stalking/still hunting in the wind.

Congrats!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 12:38:00 AM »
Several years ago hunting in Wyoming I was sitting in my tree stand watching a nasty looking storm come over the Big Horns. The winds picked up and whipped my tree around to the point I got down to the ground and waited for calmer skies ... a few hours later I shot the deer in my Avitar ....

On another windy day I shot the biggest mule deer of my hunting career ... wind can be your friend but it can also doom a hunt like the moose hunt I was on in Alberta that ended with trees down every where and all the critters hunkered down for several days.

my windy last day of the hunt Mulie ....

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 07:20:00 AM »
There are lots of widow makers left from the gypsy moth devastation several years ago. When I hear the first limb crash down I head to the nearest field and leave. I had a close call not long ago when a big limb landed right where I stood just 10 minutes earlier.

I always said I want to die with a bow in my hand. I'd rather it not come at the hands of a moth.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
As others have said the wind can be your friend. In VT the first week of Dec is their muzzleloader/late bow season. A couple seasons ago I was hunting in 10 degree temp with 30 mph wind. Day before I had tracked two deer to a recent cut and found their beds in the treetops. Went back in the wind and glassed frodm a distance. No deer sighted but saw a thick stand of softwood on the other side of the cut. Deer have to go somewhere in the wind so I circled downwind and got within 15 yds of two does. One even bed down within sight before I backed out and set up downwind. I had the T/C that day instead of a bow and muzzleloader is bucks only.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2016, 05:18:00 PM »
Go into the thickets when it windy.  Might shock you at what you see.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 05:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by wetfeathers:
As a ground hunter,  I love windy days.  You can get away with so much movement.  I almost feel invisible.  They don't notice your movement and can't hear you as well.  I've had alot of close encounters on windy days.
I agree......just keep it in your face.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©