3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My snake skin came unglued, what to do?  (Read 418 times)

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
My snake skin came unglued, what to do?
« on: October 26, 2007, 10:58:00 AM »
Yesterday I was shooting at home and everytime I pulled back I would hear this strange noise. Well low and behold my beatiful diamond back snake skin came off my lower limb. I guess I did a lousey job. They looked real nice. The top limb seems to be ok but only time will tell. My questions is since the skin just peeled off not real damage to it. Can I reglue as is just different glue? I think what happened is that I squeezed most of the glue out while trying to smooth them on the limb. Could be a lot of things. Should I get a new sking and start all over? Whats your suggestion? Thanks. Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My snake skin came unglued, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
All depends on what type of adhesive you used, what did you use to apply the skins with?
It is best to apply finish over the top of the skins as well to protect.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I think that I did most things right but obviously something went wrong. I used titebond II and lightly sanded the limbs. Im just wondering if I should reglue the same skin that came off or should start with with new dried skins.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
I would try to glue the skin back down first.  The worst case would be you'd still have to remove it and start with another one.  No sense in wasting a good skin if it will glue back down and look right.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 03:53:00 PM »
Did you use dried skins or tanned. Tanned skins, I have heard, won't stick well.
Jason Lester

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »
Not crazy about tite bond for skins, yes it will work and in this case I would try to re glue it.
Next time try a good two part epoxy like Devcon 2 ton , west systems or smooth on . works better .

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks everyone, Im going to try and reglue. What the skins were dried not tanned. I have devcon2 glue but I was thinking about using barge cement. What do you think?

A sinner saved by Grace.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©