3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Target worn out  (Read 1027 times)

Offline die_dunkelheit

• Trad Bowhunter
Target worn out
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
That was fast...

I've only had it 2 months.
What type of targets are you guys using to get a little more longevity?
-Ghost

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Target worn out
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Big Shot 450K
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:29:00 PM »
I've never seen a layered foam target last more than a round or two of shooting.  Old fashioned bag targets are hard to beat for longevity as long as you hang it and cover it.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
Compressed straw bales from Tractor supply. They last a year easily if you get em up off the ground, and keep it covered or protected from elements. These are far different then regular straw or hay bales. The retaining pressure bands go around the outer edge, instead of across the face, so you never hit them. Instead of shooting into side layered material like on normal bales,  its  the cross/end sections you shoot at. I'll never buy anything else, its crazy to. I get a bale that is bigger then standard layered foam targets, for $11....and it last just as long.

Just so you know, I shoot enough, I wore out the core of an expensive 3d Rhinehart self healing foam buck in less then 2 months. The straw bale ive had 4 months, and its barely showing wear.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »
My favorite target is a woven poly bag with fiberglass screening (window screening).  As the center wears out I just swish the screening around or add a little more.

Where the bag itself fails I lace in a piece of patch poly (they sent several and later feed bags have served).
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:14:00 AM »
Rinehart targets are awesome.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 07:28:00 AM »
I really like the you stuff it bags. Velcro closure, hanging loops, ringed spots, and stuffed with plastic bags they are weather proof.

I may not shoot as much as you but I get 3-5 years out of mine hanging outside.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Trond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
X2 on the Rhinehart targets. My Rhinoblock has taken a h..ll of a beating, and are still going strong.
BearPaw Cayuga 66", 37# @29"
Samick Red Fox 64", 35# @28"
"The more you work, the luckier you get." Byron Ferguson

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 08:59:00 AM »
$2 burlap bags from the craft store filled with plastic. 3 months in the burlap bag is fail so I just slip the original bag into another burlap bag.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I really like the bag targets for longevity but I have yet to find a broadhead target I really like.  I am shooting Simmons this year and they seem to be especially rough on the layered targets.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 09:44:00 AM »
Looks to me like there is an awful lot of that target still in good shape...not sure why you say it is worn out

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by damascusdave:
Looks to me like there is an awful lot of that target still in good shape...not sure why you say it is worn out

DDave
X2 - shoot in a different spot on the target.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
I thought I heard (I could be wrong) that Rhinehart has a metal bar in their targets now. If so I would look else where.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 10:52:00 AM »
I've joined the ranks of the compressed straw bale uers. To keep mine off the ground I've set it atop my worn-out foam target. Holding up very well after three months.
Jim

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 11:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by The Whittler:
I thought I heard (I could be wrong) that Rhinehart has a metal bar in their targets now. If so I would look else where.
Ive not had metal issues. However,  im still not happy. I tore the replaceable self heal foam core assunder with nothing but field tips. It lasted not quite 2 months. Sure, I can replace the core, at $50 a pop. A new core every 2 months, is 6 cores a year. I can buy a lot of compressed bales for $300 a year, and thats on TOP of my initial cost of the 3d target. Worst target investment ive ever made.

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
Rinehart is the only target i've found that will stand up to broad heads for any length of time. but even then, a broad head is gonna wear them out fast.

they'll last forever with field points.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
I bought a blob and it worked out great!  tough as the dickens to pull your arrow out at first, but it wears IN nicely.  I did manage to completely shooting through it in 3 different places withing a year, but i also was shooting it with broadheads a lot.  if you want a target to last a long time, you better not shoot broadheads at it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Go buy yourself a BLOB target.

I have gone through ALL other targets within 1 month as I usually shoot around 200-300 arrows a day and the BLOB has held up for 2 months now and shows NO signs of tearing up completely anytime soon.

They also come with a 1 year warranty against any pass through's.

They are sold by an individual or small group of people so you are getting A LOT more bang for your buck than throwing your money at a large company that cares primarily about their profit margins.

I have blown through a Delta shot blocker, Morrell yellow jacket, 18" Block Classic,A Carbon Giant Target, and a Black Hole within 1 year of shooting.

I'd start to get pass through's with most of those targets mentioned within 1 month. The Black Hole only lasted me 1 week and a half and I had to go target less for about 1 month.

The BLOB is made out of an extremely dense polyurethane type of mixture (feels like a giant pencil eraser) and weighs in at 70lb's.

If I would of known better I would of just bought a BLOB target for $135 and been done with my target search.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 11:36:00 AM »
Even shooting broadheads a lot a Rhinoblock takes a long time to wear out...my first one is pretty much shot to pieces now but it is also about 5 years old...and it will still stop and arrow in some spots

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline die_dunkelheit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by GreyGoose:
... To keep mine off the ground I've set it atop my worn-out foam target...
That's pretty funny Goose.

Originally posted by johnnyk71:
Rinehart is the only target i've found that will stand up to broad heads for any length of time. but even then, a broad head is gonna wear them out fast.

they'll last forever with field points.
I think I only shot this one with a broadhead one time, but I shoot 75-100 arrows almost everyday.. I recently got a "Hurricane" bag type target, the other day an arrow pushed some screen out the back so it's obviously the type that Stumpkiller referenced so I'll see how it goes, but damn it's loud when hit... Are all the poly bag type targets loud, or does it depend on what they are filled with? I had thought about getting some you-fill-it bags and putting stretch wrap in them, but I don't want it to be super loud (I'm shooting in the backyard). Maybe I'm asking too much and should just get a compressed bail, at least that won't sound like I'm beating it with a baseball bat.
-Ghost

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©