3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST
« Reply #100 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:00 AM »
Brad,
Numbers are coming up. In the early 90's on my first sit on Banana Ridge, with acorns all over the ground, I had no less than 20 deer parade through in an evening sit. By the mid 90's mother nature fixed this skewed herd with 1995 and 1996 back to back winters that were devastating. By 1998 we had one of our best years with 4 bucks and 4 does taken. The camp property went to a 6 point or better rule on bucks a couple of years after that and we would harvest a buck now and then after that but mostly were keeping the doe herd in check while mother nature kept winters in line. Most years we averaged between 6-10 does taken and because the rut is so much later in the UP, the rifle hunters using the property usually bagged 3-4 nice bucks off the property each fall. Guys were seeing deer every sit for the most part this year, which was an improvement over the last two, but for a week of hunting, only 3 legal bucks were seen, two while hunting and one on a trip into the stand site. The area we hunt is excellent deer and upland bird habitat. However go 50 miles north and you're in mature forest and swamp with little agriculture. The property we hunt has had the aspen managed for timber and it has a diverse age of young aspen stands throughout that deer, turkey and upland birds like along with some food plots that the property owners put in (my spot I mentioned above from a couple of years ago was put in by an outside source that had larger equipment than the club uses internally for food plots). The herd bounces back fairly quickly, although there are more predators to fawns now than in the early 1990's before bears were regulated with a drawing system (that started in 1999 and for 5 weeks in the spring, bears will hunt fawning cover like a bird dog, flushing a fawn, which has no chance).
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: October 26, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
Great pictures, and it seems that everyone had a really great time. Red Bird Lane, now that is a nice touch to honor the memory of your life partner.

I visited Michigan for the first time this past weekend and saw a few deer. They are a lot bigger than the deer we have here. Thanks for sharing your good times with the rest of us.
Sam

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: October 26, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
Ray,
That's great. Man it does sound really good. Didn't realize there was any ag around the camp area. That helps draw deer compared to the big woods like you said.
You guys seem to Really get into them in short time..

So your rifle season is during the rut there?  We have 2 weeks left to our bow season. Then bear then deer rifle after thanksgiving. Wish we was like some other state that let the Archery's continue to hunt up till rifle. We miss some really good weeks. But maybe the game commission wants it that way.

You guys seen a wolf last season rite? Any sighting this year?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:00 AM »
Roger had a very close encounter with a wolf this year from a ground blind in the pines, he'll probably come on and tell about it before long.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: October 26, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
:campfire:       :coffee:   Guys, Thanks for sharing your camp with us!!!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
I saw my first wolf two years ago (see the snow picture on a previous page). That was the year that we saw his print all over the property on a regular basis. I had gone up on top of banana ridge one morning when the snow fall had frozen over in a crunchy half inch cover. Fortunately, I had raked out a path up the hillside and the last 50 yards to my stand in a triple trunk oak tree so it was a quiet entry for me because the snow didn't stick to the dirt. About an hour into my sit, I heard a single animal crunching along steadily.  I thought it might be a buck cruising the ridge, but as it came into view it was a huge wolf striding along. His gate was one I won't forget as his body just floated along. There's certainly mixed emotions about the wolf population in the Upper Peninsula, but managed properly, they're a cool sight to see.

I should mention my first encounter with wolves at camp was really back in the late summer of 2000 when the cabin was moved to the property and Ron and I were up there doing some remodeling to the cabin (I had hauled up the kitchen cabinet with sink and Ron brought up the woodstove and they were set in place). We were sitting around the campfire outside that night when our local friends who were out at the cabin were chatting with us.  All of a sudden, a wolf pack opened up. Our friend Randy who was there had been on many a journey with the then UP wildlife biologist Jim Hammell and he described that they were in the middle of a hunt. There was a den on the property at the time up on Banana ridge close to the 'tressle stand' (to the right in the picture Ron took of Armstrong creek up the hillside). While we didn't see them, the howls were eerily incredible and they ended up within a few hundred yards of the cabin.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: October 26, 2016, 04:13:00 PM »
Do you guys go back to Shrewhaven for black powder season, or is it just a once per year archery camp?
N/A

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: October 26, 2016, 04:28:00 PM »
Ron used to go back with Nancy in December for the black powder season, however the most recent years it's just during our archery camp.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
So what is it about deer camp that makes it so special. I contemplated that as I sat in the lazy boy chair waiting for the gang to pile back in from the evening hunt. This would be the second year of a deerless camp in a row.  I believe it's the tradition of the little nuances of camp and the characters involved.  As you can see the area is truly special and beautiful from the pictures Ron posted. However I think this group of guys could make camp anywhere there was a place to gather and the chance of harvesting a deer with our traditional bows.
I've had those same thoughts Ray, I've been very fortunate to spend time in deer camp with my Grandpa before he passed away and my Dad who I lost last year November 3rd, and my brother and uncle.  I can still close my eyes and picture us all together and hear all the stories in my mind, those are  the trophies in my mind getting to harvest a deer with them is a bonus.  I also had a similar experience with a wolf the only year tags were available for them here, 23 paces from me before it realized I was there and turned back up the ridge to stop and look back at me, very awesome site to see. There were 6 or 7 of them howling that morning when my brother and I left the truck that morning.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2016, 06:29:00 PM »
Nancy and I some years ago during the December muzzleloading season at ShrewHaven

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Thx for sharing .

Setup is vey close to our Cajun microwave
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
God Bless you Ron. May your arrows fly straight and true.   :thumbsup:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
Good stuff so far. Ron, Great tribute to Nancy Red Bird!   :campfire:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

Roger had a very close encounter with a wolf this year from a ground blind in the pines, he'll probably come on and tell about it before long.

[/b]
Yes I did....I was hunting a favorite spot (where I have seen wolves before), a thicket of jackpines. The pines once had a lot of poplars mixed in, but they came in and timbered off the poplars as well as some of the more mature pines. They left a lot of tops, which makes for dozens of natural ground blinds scattered throughout the section.

I was in one of these pine bow ground blinds Tuesday morning, and had been sitting since about 6:00 a.m. several does and littles ones had passed through earlier, but around 11:00 a.m. things had slowed down. I was leaning against a pine, reading a book, and relaxing more than hunting. I caught movement out of my peripheral vison, and slowly raised my head to take a peak....I was face to face with a young wolf. he wasn't any further than 10 feet. As soon as our eyes met, he wheeled and trotted off. Like I said, I have seen wolves in this spot before, but never this close. Also unique was that he appeared to still have his summer coat......he was lean, kind lanky, and looked very healthy.

A couple folks have asked me if I was scared or felt threatened....no. It all happened quickly, and as soon as he realized what I was, he was gone. We may be competitors for the same deer, but it's a good feeling knowing that ShrewHaven is still wild enough to support a creature like that.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
Wolves in MI? I didn't know that.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 08:54:00 AM »

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
I'm a beagle man and for over 50 years I've had some great dogs. The problem with dogs is we get attached to then and they die too soon. My last dog Dolly was a great companion but I lost her a year ago last June.

I needed another beagle so this is Ruger. He is from registered hunting stock and I think is going to be a great dog. I took him to camp this year because he wants to be with me all the time. The guys loved him and he had a great time.

Here we are on the porch of Lobo's Lair, my private cave that has gas heat and electricity supplied by generator.

Ruger in the main cabin watching out the window

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  I really enjoy reading about and seeing pictures of Shrewhaven.  One of my favorite posts of the year.

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
I really enjoyed your post, Ron, and like your new best buddy, Ruger.

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Nice photo of Nancy and you, the good times. Flintlock building and shooting is my second hobby as well.

Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Nancy and I some years ago during the December muzzleloading season at ShrewHaven

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©