3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST  (Read 5086 times)

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2016, 07:42:00 AM »
That's a fine looking dog Ron. I love those ears. We always had a pack of beagles when I was growing up and rabbit hunting was the sport back then.
N/A

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »
This is one of my favorite threads to read each year.  What a great tradition you have there!  Thanks for your stories guys!     :clapper:  

Bernie

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Wow, great thread! Looks like a ton of fun! That wolf story was really interesting, thanks for sharing.
Good looking dog. My dad used to raise beagles when there were still rabbits around here, but they aren't as plentiful here as they used to be.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Great looking dog there, Ron.   :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Great looking dog there, Ron.    :thumbsup:  
And a fine Name for him also!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2016, 10:20:00 AM »
Cool story on the wolf Roger. I have seen them in the past, but not that close. While hunting the late season a few years back in NW Iron County. I had just shot a doe with my new BW longbow, It was snowing pretty good so I began tracking her and found her about 75 yards away. While field dressing her , Wolves started to howl . I took a brake from finishing and just listened. I thought this is the way it should be. It was one of more memorable hunts ever.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:00 AM »
Originally posted by ron w:

Originally posted by David Mitchell:
Great looking dog there, Ron.     :thumbsup:  
And a fine Name for him also!! [/b]
He was going to name him "Roger" but it was too confusing.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
We wanted to listen to the debates, but the evening AM signal is horrible. Fixed it with a skillet    :bigsmyl:  

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
:bigsmyl:

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
Just read your beautiful poem about Nancy in TBM.  A wonderful tribute.  Love truly is everlasting and evident within you.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Thank you Al. We were married for over 57 years and she was my hunting partner until the last year or so when the Parkinson's  took away her strength to pull her bow. I'll never forget the day when she realized she could no longer pull her bow...tears came to her eyes...and mine too, I felt so bad for her. I still took her to the woods with me and she enjoyed the hunt being with me. She's still with me in Spirit.

Nancy was a hunter even before I met her in January of 1958. She came from an outdoor family, her dad, granddad and her uncles were all hunters and fishermen. She loved the outdoors and we shared that love for all those years together.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
Ron, your love and devotion to Nancy is a wonderful example to all of us on here.  God bless you for that.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Sharptop

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2016, 08:04:00 PM »
Love the Shrewhaven posts, feel like I hunt with you guys. Strange weather everywhere this year. Still mid 80's where I can hunt and I refuse to go until it gets at least cool. Tough on you guys who have a set time slot these years. I have hunted up in that area for grouse and would love to deer hunt.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2016, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: October 30, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
We had some heavy deer poles in years past, here's one from not too many years ago

This is a familiar one that Kustom King uses for their magazine ad's

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Bryan pinick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: October 30, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
:clapper:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: October 30, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
Ron, I also saw your poem in Traditional Bowhunter. It was a beautiful tribute to your wife. Yes, she will always be with you in spirit. It is obvious that y'all shared something very special.
Sam

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Looking to the north to where Armstrong Creek disappears around the bend

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: October 31, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Here's a man that has been to Shrewhaven several times. His name is Tom (Rooster) Jenkins and he's probably the best deer tracker I've ever met. Some years back I shared a hunting camp in the northern lower with Tom and his Dad Tom Sr.

We had several deer on the buck pole behind camp and one day a friend of ours stopped in for a visit. After checking out the deer on the pole he laughing said, "those deer are shot every where but where they're supposed to be shot" to which Tom replied, "ya, we're not very good shots but we're darn good trackers"    :biglaugh:

Here Tom is examining one of his broadheads that he puts together, a 2 blade M-A 2 with shick ejector blades glued on. I named the head the "Hack-Stacker"  

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:00 PM »
One of the guys in camp shot a deer one time and couldn't find it. Tom tracked it to the Brule river which is the Michigan/Wisconsin border. After calling the Wis. C/O we got permission to cross into Wis. to recover the deer.

Tom found the deer in short order

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©