3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: SHREWHAVEN OR BUST
« Reply #80 on: October 25, 2016, 04:09:00 PM »
The fire was on top instead of below and it cooked to a turn.    :campfire:

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2016, 04:19:00 PM »
I took this picture before the company showed up to help eat the pig. That's my Grandson in the chair by the fire.

You couldn't ask for better weather, beautiful Indian Summer most of the week.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2016, 04:23:00 PM »
Armstrong Creek in all it's fall glory. 440 acres of ShrewHaven as far as the eye can see

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2016, 06:12:00 PM »
BEautisuckle, Ron...

I can see dark and shirt sleeves....what's wrong with that picture?

Aint you guys to be bundled up in MI come this time of year???
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2016, 06:55:00 PM »
Keepum coming
I love to hear the Shrewhaven stories    :campfire:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2016, 07:18:00 PM »
On Tuesday we put a 50# lamb on an electric spit run by one of my Honda generators

Have you ever sat and watched a lamb roast?...it's like watching grass grow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
It's finely ready, VERY succulent    

VERY SUCCULENT Lamb Shank  

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2016, 07:33:00 PM »
Beautiful pictures Ron, thank to you, and all your ShrewHaven partners for sharing with us. I always look forward to the posts from you and your "gang".  Sadly my brother and I wont be making the trip across the Mighty Mac this year, I will miss it, but this helps.  Looking forward to more pics and posts.  I hope that the time spent in camp with your friends, and memories of your Red Bird has helped heal your loss a little bit, my prayers are still with you.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »
Thanks for posting the pics Ron.I truly love the Western Yoop.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 25, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
Blade and Bow Bourbon and pickled bologna, a Shrewhaven classic    :bigsmyl:  

This is our camp chef Greg Nicolaou. He trained at the Culinary institute of America and knows his way around the kitchen. The tall jar next to the pickled baloney was filled with 'pepper shooters' that Greg makes. There's about one hundred in a jar that size and Roger eats about seventy five before we know it's been opened.    :p
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
Just to refresh everyone's memory this year was a Special hunt in honor of Nancy "RedBird" LaClair. Everyone had their special RedBird arrows made by my friend Paul Jalon of Elite Arrows. Paul did a phenomenal job as usual.

Also my friend Randy Gustafson of Northwoods Outfitters had a special sign made that we put on an oak tree 20 feet from where Nancy had her blind every year. It borders our drive that runs 1/3rd mile off the two track to camp. I know Nancy would love it,  

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2016, 08:40:00 PM »
The picture of Greg and the pickled baloney was before I got to camp. You may not be able to see it in this picture but there is a "swear jar" on the table. Nancy didn't like swearing so in honor of her anyone that used profanity had to put a dollar in the jar. At first the money flowed into to it pretty fast but soon everyone started watching their language.... I'd like to think it was more in respect for Nancy than the loss of money. Thanks guys.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 25, 2016, 08:51:00 PM »
There it is, the silver top square glass jar with money in it.    :goldtooth:  

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
That's cool Randy had that sign made up. It looks good.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2016, 10:23:00 PM »
:campfire:
That's just without words .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 26, 2016, 06:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
There it is, the silver top square glass jar with money in it.     :goldtooth:    

Ron snapped this photo just before Helga, our camp maid, showed up.   :D

The dish washing system is shown in the background. Two pots of water sit on the wood stove and this year there was plenty of rain water runoff to use instead of creek water.   Dishes and cabin get tidied up after the morning hunt and late morning breakfast.  If we're lucky, Ron makes his famous breakfast burritos.  It's the only thing besides ' we got a blood trail' that will pull Roger off his morning hunt early.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 26, 2016, 06:59:00 AM »
Roger sleeps on the Futon sofa in the main room. He's also the keeper of the nightly fire.  It's a delicate balance of keeping it going and not roasting the upper bunk boys. Wednesday night Roger still had his face paint on when he went to bed. Tim pointed it out and Roger said 'it'll save me four minutes in the morning'.  Nobody beats Roger to the woods in the morning.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 26, 2016, 07:13:00 AM »
So what is it about deer camp that makes it so special. I contemplated that as I sat in the lazy boy chair waiting for the gang to pile back in from the evening hunt. This would be the second year of a deerless camp in a row.  I believe it's the tradition of the little nuances of camp and the characters involved.  As you can see the area is truly special and beautiful from the pictures Ron posted. However I think this group of guys could make camp anywhere there was a place to gather and the chance of harvesting a deer with our traditional bows.

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
Wht kind of deer numbers did you guys see?
Is it good hunting in that area?
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©