3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Please read...it can happen in a split second!  (Read 513 times)

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
Please read...it can happen in a split second!
« on: October 15, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
Not wanting to hijack the other thread, but some things you need to think about.  This is a long post, but read it like your life depends on it, because it may!

A good friend got permission to hunt some property that had been logged very recently. As he was walking the property with his son and the property owner, he spotted a white oak with  lot of big limbs that would make great cover. As he was mentally picking out the perfect spot in the tree for his stand, his son noticed the tree had been cut halfway thru just a few inches above the ground!! They got to looking around and found a few other trees that were partially cut thru!! The owner called the logger and asked him WTH was going on and he stated "Yeah, there are few like that. We're gonna come back and get 'em later."
Now some of these trees were near a pond where the property owners kids played and the family had weekend picnics!! The logger came back the next day and dropped the cut trees with the property owner being right there with him. Could have been a disaster!

On a late October evening a few years back I was hunting from a ladder stand. I was looking around the area to the east of my stand with binoculars at a stand of mature oaks that was getting a lot of activity. One old oak in particular caught my eye as a potential stand site. rather than move my ladder stand, I saw some huge limbs that I could stand on with other limbs that I could tie off to. "A couple of strap on ladder sections, a strap on seat and I will be good to go" I thought to myself. A few days later, the wind was forecast to be right for the big oak, so I grabbed my gear and headed in an hour early to get set up. I got to the big oak and the limb I had picked out was laying on the ground! No major storms or even a stiff breeze since I had viewed the tree a few days earlier. The limb wasn't noticeably dead and still held it's leaves. But by the grace of God the wind diretion kept me from doing something stupid that could have gotten me killed.

Several years ago (20+) I used the tri-fold screw in steps on most every stand that I hung. I was hunting across the state line in Illinois and I hung all my stands in early August planning to stay out of the area until the time was right. In early November I started climbing into my stand for an afternoon hunt. I stretched out the distance between my steps back in those days and I found I couldn't climb as easily with my bulky winter clothes on like I did in August with jeans and a t-shirt. I had to really stretch out and push off to reach the next step up. Luckily, I was young and in great shape back then because the lower step I just pushed off of with my left leg snapped off at the folding joint. I had a good hold of the step that was above my head and as my right foot slipped from the step I was trying to reach, I managed to catch my weight with my right arm. My body swung full force into the tree and I thought that I had "racked" myself and caught my heavy fleece bibs on the step I was trying to reach. I got my left hand onto the upper step with my right hand and pulled myself up enough to reach down with my right hand and free myself from the step. I lowered myself down with my arms and luckily was able to reach the step below the one that had broken off.

Once I made it to the ground, I was sick to my stomach and couldn't catch my breath. After a few minutes, my heart rate went down and my stomach settled a bit. I checked the tear in my bibs and found blood. I dropped my bibs to check what was bleeding and was sick to my stomach again! The tree step that I had "racked" myself on had actually penetrated my scrotum and pulled out my left testicle. Nausea, cold sweat, fear swept over me. It was 3 hours until dark and if I didn't come out at dark, my buddy (the property owner) wouldn't even think to look for me for a couple of more hours.

I tried to walk and found it too painful. Nothing to do but put "things" back where they belonged and it was excruciating! I pulled my long underwear bottoms up as high and tight as I could stand, trying to keep things in place and started walking slowing toward my friends house. Not really sure how long it took to cover the roughly 1/2 mile, but it seemed like hours. A trip to the ER, some very painful exams and cleaning, 11 stitches and I was on my way home. Besides the obvious injury, I had bruised ribs and a strained right bicep. It took a several weeks before I was healed up enough to even think about hunting again and by then, the season was over.

The point of all of this is to show that things happen in a split second. If the last incident I related had happened to me in the last ten years, I would not have came out as well as I did. No longer have that kind of strength or reaction time. I always tie off now and I use nothing but the very best ladder stands that I can afford. I think that a good climber is very safe as long as you tie off with a quality fall restraint system while both ascending an descending. As I mentioned in the other post, anything mechanical can and will eventually fail. Take an extra few minutes to look over your stands and gear and the tree you plan to climb. Dead limbs, partial cut through on a tree, dead trees near your chosen tree, check it all out before you climb!!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Please read...it can happen in a split second!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 04:45:00 PM »
Great advice! Thanks Mike
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
My stomach is turning just reading that story, I'm glad to hear everything is back where it should be though......I've had some scary moments in treetands over the years and as I result I rarely hunt off the ground anymore, I know there is excellent safety equipment these days, but with young kids at home I just don't like taking that risk anymore.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline KodaChuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 12:22:00 AM »
Great post. Thank you.
Palmer Recurve 64" 46# @ 30"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 12:58:00 AM »
Thanks, Mike, great information and warning.

I took my 7-year-old out daughter with me tonight and we sat in a pretty tall ladder stand made for 2 people.  I prefer to hunt on the ground, mainly because the moment you get up off the ground, the risk of falling must be considered.  What if I tie her up in the stand safely, but then fall and get hurt myself?  Can she get down?  Can she get disconnected from her safety line?  Does she know where to go for help?  Does she know the password to my phone, and does she know how to make a call for help and tell the rescuers where we are?  What if I fall and the phone is in my pocket, but she is stuck up in the tree?

A buddy of mine in Alaska was out bear hunting many years ago and tripped and his bear gun (.44 mag) hit a branch and went off in his hip holster.  His leg was half bent, and the bullet blew his lower leg in half at the shin.  He had a 17 or 18 year old friend with him and that kid had to carry him back to the canoe and row him many hours back to civilization and medical help.  Hearing that story, yours, and others' advice on TG has really helped me to think about how to be safe.

I have great respect for those who are successful hunters, and I wish I were counted among them, but I've tried to make my motto "Safety first, success later."

Thanks again for your post.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 04:08:00 AM »
Yeah...you got to be careful. I used to not bother with a safety belt or harness. Then one year I had a stand come off the tree (with me in it). I fell about 16-18 feet and landed directly on my head. It cost me a couple trips to the hospital, a pretty nasty scar on my face, about a year without feeling on the right side of the top of my head, and several days of being pretty sore. But at least it didn't kill me. To this day, I don't know how it didn't break my neck. Once the swelling went down and I could see out of my right eye again, I went back to hunting. Mostly from the ground for the rest of that season.

I was 19 then. And probably healed better than I would now.

Long story short....I wear a safety harness now.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 09:22:00 AM »
Mike, your tree incidents remind me of two.

In the early 80's I put in a stand in a HUGE old oak next to a swamp. I installed the stand well before hunting season.  On opening day I entered the woods well before light with great anticipation of getting in this grand ole tree and intercepting a great deer coming from the button bush into the woods.

I couldn't find the stand before light. So sweating I just sat down, disgusted.  When it got light I spied the tree 20 yards away...it had topped completely over...the entire giant tree.

Last year, during the season I wanted to improve  my view by moving just 15 yards north up the tree line in another cedar. I climbed into the profusely limbed tree. Before I started cutting for a spot to hang a stand I looked up.  There was a dead tree overhanging this one. I figured, wow, a heavy wind could bring that tree down on this tree. I didn't hang the stand.

This summer when I went in to change straps on the original stand, that dead tree was down. It had fallen right over the prospect cedar and broken up.

My brother who lives 170 miles from me in Richmond, IN fell from a tree stand about 15 years ago. He was not permanently injured. But, he hasn't hunted since.  I hope to get him back in the woods soon...in  a ground blind I suppose.

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 09:32:00 AM »
Thank you for sharing your experiences, we have had these experiences maybe not to some of the levels of others. Don't take your life for granted or the lives of others. If your hunting with children have a saftey plan and explain those minor details that could make a difference!
Hunt hard Hunt safe and shoot straight!
Ed
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline yleecoyote23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Great warning Mike...I am glad you made it through ok. Things can happen quickly.
In the beautiful Davis Mountains and lovin' every minute - Danny

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
I've been up in many trees using other guys' steps and wondered if they must be 7 feet tall!
The cost of another step or two is a non-issue when compared to the complexity it can bring to getting in and out of a stand.
I'd rather have three or four steps there that I didn't need than one I do need and it's not there.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 02:04:00 PM »
Mike,

Your story on a broken screw in step chilled me. I was hunting in VA with a younger friend...he used a woodpecker drill and big fat screw ins... put up earlier in the summer.

We split up to hunt and he went to a special stand... I heard him scream and went running... he was higher up and one of those screw ins broke, and the sharp edge of what remained sliced him from knee to groin... I bandanged him best I could, got him out and to the hospital...

I will never climb a stand where they're legal for that reason...

There is a reason they INVENTED THE word ACCiDENT...it's not anticipated!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 04:52:00 PM »
That story made me cringe, funny how thinking about one of the boys out of the package will do that.

I had one of those folding steps snap on me as well. I was only four 'steps' up. I slid/fell down the tree, hit the ground feet first and fell backwards over a rock, right at the knees. Could've been so much worse. I still use screw-ins, but not those folding ones. I junked every one I had left.

It's not like in the movies, that's for sure. Whereas an actor will grab something at the last second...there is NO second to actually do it. Once detached from tree, only the ground will stop you.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
There are tree stands hanging in public lands around here that never get taken down.  some use the straps and the trees are screaming against them.  One case that I was told about, a stand that I reported to the game warden.  We never saw anyone use it, it was hung when a group of hunters from Texas came here, they left it behind.  I reported the stands left hanging , but he could not find that one.  A kid with strap on steps figured that it would be easier to use.  He went up on it.  Bounced a little and decided it was safe.   An hour later, the strap started to shred, he grabbed a branch and the stand fell to the ground.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Hearing that story first hand is so much worse than reading it Mike.  Hope all is well my friend!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Wow! Gruesome story, but it sure drives home the importance of safety.
Sam

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
As a fire-medic I will tell everyone, when it comes to safety in any activity you need to be thinking 2,3,4 steps ahead.  Most average Joes never do that type of thing, and it often costs a person limb or life.  As the Scouts say, always be prepared.  Don't rush, cut corners, or get complacent when it comes to any activity that can potentially injure or kill you.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2016, 12:52:00 PM »
I got a new tree stand ( millenium ) and was testing it in my back yard 3 weeks ago.  Put it 4 feet high and used 1 esy climb step just to see how difficult it was to get around the large seat.  My mistake was putting it in a tree that just died last summer early fall.  Thought it was still good enough and only being 4 feet.  Screw it in real deep.  Got in and out about 6 times with no problems.  Later on I went back and climbed in again and stepping out the step pulled out.  In a heart beat I was upside down with my foot trapped between the cable and the stand.  Lucky the stand pivoted on it's bracket or it would have broken my leg.  Few scratches on my arms and hip otherwise good to go.  At 68 I don't bounce like I use to.  It was a stupid move on my part.

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
IM sitting on the ground this year,only will be in a ladder stand few times ,no climbers anymore for me ,ill also look up for widow makers ,thanks Mike for keeping us sharp.
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Offline mlsthmpsn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2016, 04:31:00 PM »
I'm young and in good shape....I hunt from the ground.

I hunted from a climber one time, borrowed from my brother-in-law. I got that thing set up and canted really high at the base of the tree, so that it would be level up in the tree...well, it wasn't level up there....so there I am, in the dark, contemplating if I want to attempt to unhook the pin and re-adjust the bottom while sitting on the seat part.

I figured, I'm strapped on, the seat it sturdy, just do the bottom quick and be done with it.

I made sure the bottom was tied to the seat, and un-clip the pin....get the cable slid through a way making it level...push the pin in and as I'm rolling my thumb over the clip it on the back side, I no longer feel a pin...and what felt like eternity later, I hear a slight crash in the leaves below.

I was able to cannabalize a carabiner and file it down to jam in the hole. And that allowed me to get down (otherwise, I'd have just waited until they came for me).

First and last time up in a tree for me.

2 years later, that piece of crap climber gave way at the weld (bottom part), with my brother-in-law climbing in it at 15' up. He was in very rough shape after he caught himself from going straight down by the armpits on the seat part rails...which bent terribly, also cracked and lost integrity, which then shook/shimmied itself and my brother-in-law all the way to the ground (as in uncontrolled violent rocking back and forth, chugga-chugga-chugga...slinky style)

Somehow, he still today, only hunts from trees.
MT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. - Psalm 69:1

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
I slipped once on a treestand, didn't fall, just slipped, never went up again and I don't mind at all. I'd rather keep my feet on the ground and make to next year. No deer is worth it.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©