3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question  (Read 392 times)

Offline SheBear

• Trad Bowhunter
Question
« on: October 16, 2016, 09:20:00 PM »
I am newish to archery ( bit over a year ) and I have a few questions.

First off, I am petite with a 24" draw.

I started out with a 54" Little Fox 25# @ 25" using Beman ICS JRs cut to 25" with 100 grain points (paying to replace the vanes with feathers, but that is all the local shop has to offer). Shoot off the shelf.

I have since moved to a Bodnik Slick Stick 40# @ 28" to achieve close to 35#.
The Beman Jrs flew weak and while I could have lowered the point weight I would still need to pay extra to have feathers installed. So I bought CX Predator IIs 700 cut to 26" with 100 grain points based on Lancaster's recommendation. They flew a bit stiff so Lancaster recommended 125 grain points. They fly better, and when I release properly they fly where I am looking with minimal leftward impact.

I cannot send these arrows back, so I want to make them work for me as good as I can. LAS might have made an error misjudging my 24" draw and the guesstimated draw weight 32-34# depending on if you want to lose 2 lbs per inch or 1.5 or 3.

My question: If they are a little bit stiff, are they still good enough to use for practice? Is a little bit stiff as big of an issue as I have heard? If they fly where you want and don't kick, does it really matter?

Thanks guys.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 09:56:00 PM »
You can buy washer weights,  that add 5gr per each. I think 3 washers (15gr) is the max you can safely use. They go between the point and the arrow, and screw in point as normal.

You could also go on up to 145gr tip to weaken the arrow out.

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
Depending on your definition of "a little stiff"... 3 rivers spine calculator claims you can increase your brace height and that might help.  Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Also to answer your question,  I believe most recommend to just shoot what you have(assuming it can be shot safely) and concentrate on form.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Hi and welcome.

It is very easy to cure a stiff arrow, just go up to 145 grain field point and your little problem should go away.

IMO, a well tuned arrow is far more forgiving. Proper tuning will pay off for you sooner than later.

Good luck and have fun getting started.  :)

:archer2:

Offline Michael Pfander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Raise your brace an 1/8 and see if that helps.  If it does you might try another 1/8.
MAP
Map
PBS
BHA
P&Y

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 09:29:00 AM »
I have straightened out a slight stiff situation both by using heavier points and by increasing brace height. I would adjust brace height first, as no money is involved. Good luck, it will work out.
Sam

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 01:08:00 PM »
Don't know what kind of archery training you've had so far, but it is usual when starting out to increase draw length a bit, and also gain a bit more power as your release improves.  So you may grow into those stiff arrows over time.

If your arrow flight is okay, and if the arrows are going where you're looking, I would go ahead and shoot them.  The downside of increasing point weight to 145 grains is slower arrow speed and correspondingly higher trajectory, which would affect you more at your draw weight than it would at a higher draw weight.

3 Rivers, a sponsor, sells arrows fletched with feathers.  They also sell fletching equipment (hint).
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline SheBear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys
I set my brace to 7 1/4 which is where my bow shoots the best.
McDave, your advice is almost identical to advice from LAS. I practice daily and may gain some draw length.
They do go where I am looking now that I raised the point weight to 125, and until I have solidified my draw length and form I won't bother getting new arrows.
I simply needed additional opinions and most guys at my local shop do compound or use sights and gadgets on their bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©