3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone shoot sub-hunting poundage bows?  (Read 449 times)

Offline Robinofdahood

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone shoot sub-hunting poundage bows?
« on: October 26, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Yay!  I just came back from the archery range after about a 4 year hiatus.  I was shooting my 50# Bear Montana longbow at 10 yards and was pleased given the time off.  I need start shooting regularly to build up my strength.  I was short-drawing a lot because of it.  I know I'll get my strength back quickly, but it got me thinking.  When family field archery was popular they made a ton of 30-40# target bows which can often be had for much cheaper than hunting weights.  Does anyone here shoot these?  I figure I could use the "but they're for you, honey" line.  LOL.
-Dave
So long as the new moon returns in heaven, a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of Archery keep hold of the hearts of men.  -Thompson

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone shoot sub-hunting poundage bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:00 PM »
I regularly shoot The Wife's Martin Rebel 30# to work on my form. I find it allows me to work on my alignment, without putting any stress on my joints (If I get it wrong!) I can adjust my elbow up & down & increase or decrease back tension easily whilst at full draw. I kinda makes sense to me to be able to hold at full draw for ages without getting tired whilst adjusting myself.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
I just bought a 45# Turkey Creek because I couldn't draw my 57#er. Torn rotater cuff.I have a 27" draw so the bow is actually 42#s for me and boy does it shoot.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 03:09:00 PM »
Shooting vs hunting with low poundage bows are two different things. Which do you mean ?

Offline Jacko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 04:15:00 PM »
I have hunted with a 46# pound selfbow and had no drama's at all acheiving excellant penetration on pigs or goats . I use arrows around the 650 grain mark , 2 blade head scary sharp chiseled point 20 plus % forward of centre.

The good Doctor Ashby has all the guff in his arrow leathality study . I will be changing my arrows to 25% plus FOC single beval edge 2 blade broadheads with a tanto style point and have already began making target arrows to the same formula and getting excellant accuracy . Read Ed's study , he has proven what ancient people knew and why they  made there arrows with heavy foreshafts or long steel tanged heads  . For interests sake  the most accurate crossbow bolts have massive FOC OVER 70 % . regards Perry
"To my deep mortification my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat- catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.'"

-Charles Darwin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©