3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan deer season  (Read 2078 times)

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan deer season
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
I shot a spike the 2nd of October. My 7 year old son was sitting with me and had to lean back so I could get the shot. The thumbs up and big smile he gave me after the shot may be the best bow hunting moment I've ever had! Lol! Other than the spike it's been pretty quiet.

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
Spent 8 days up north at bow camp, didn't connect but the deer where moving! Wish I could say that here on the home front! Although I have 4 new scrapes in the area I have not seen any deer while in the stand!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
I hunted Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday was warm and windy and I didn't see a thing. A cold front came in that night so I felt good about Wednesday. Sure enough, at exactly 8:00am a doe with two yearlings came out of some thick stuff and passed in front of me at the edge of my confidence range only to move away in the only spot I didn't have a shooting lane open. I know,I know.....been there done that! Right?

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Right! Heading to camp shortly to grab clothes then straight to the woods. Windy and cool- should be a decent evening for the plan I have in mind.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 03:11:00 PM »
Good hunting to all you guys. I will be heading up to Lansing tomorrow, but, unfortunately, not for hunting. We'll be visiting our daughter who just recently began working at MSU.

Saturday is the openening day of gun season in Georgia. Since I was not always an archer, I count this as the official opening day for record keeping. It will be the first time in 52 years I will not get to hunt opening day. Bummer, but I haven't seen my daughter in quite a while, so this trip is necessary. I'll be thinking of you guys, though. Pick a spot!
Sam

Offline crazynate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
Been picking up on state land around reed city. .it was a slow start but I saw 6 bucks in 2 days last week. Haven't seen a bowhunter yet and people say state land is over hunted. I'm not sure where. Anyone wane hunt come on down. Lots of room. Good luck

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2016, 05:23:00 AM »
State land here us OK until gun season. My county doesn't have antler restrictions, so for the first couple days it sounds like the Wild West. A few bird hunters in the woods now including me.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Bob Foster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
Two Button Bucks from Last Evening
  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
It's been slow going in Manistee Co.  Beeing seeing TONS of night time movement on my half dozen trail cams.  Wind and weather conditions have really on been favorable for a few sits.  During those sits I've seen deer just nothing close enough for a shot.  The only one in my camp to get a shot at a deer was my BIL.  He visited this past weekend from Boston for his first deer hunt since 1997.  I took him to a stand I had pretty much saved just for him last Friday...SW wind, told him deer should come from everywhere except the trail we came in on(NE).  Well, 10min after I left a lone doe came in right on our trail.  Shot went high just above the shoulders and the spine.  We tracked her quite a ways, found his arrow but never a drop of blood.  Well, she was back on trail camera the following evening and I just had her again on my card check yesterday.  I can say this...the colors have been absolutely amazing this year.  We haven't had any heavy winds or rains yet to nock them down early.  I can't imagine we'll have much left through this coming weekend though.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline Rathbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2016, 11:47:00 AM »
Hunted Missaukee County opening weekend with high winds and lousy weather.  Saw one 2.5 year old 7 pt that I passed...that was it.

Hunted Washtenaw county twice in my best spot and saw absolutely nothing both times.

Been out in the woods six times and I've seen one deer.  To say it's been slow is a huge understatement.
"Lungs are guts.  You can quote me on that." - Gene Wensel

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Got some trail cam pics that are looking good. A few in day light most at night.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline dennis502

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 03:05:00 PM »
It's interesting that the consensus of the thread seems to be that things are slow. My experience is just the opposite. I've had a big uptick in deer sightings (both hunting/scouting and on my trail cameras) this year. Have hunted my southern Michigan spot (Oakland County) twice this season and shot a doe both times. Lots of other deer activity.

I've spent every weekend in Sept/October at our camp in in NW lower Michigan and this is shaping up to be the best year we've had in a decade. Everyone seeing tons of deer and a very noticeable increase in mature bucks. Our acorn production is way off- if we get a rough winter things will be different next season.

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
I noticed the lack of acorns this year also. But just came back from my property yesterday and more scrapes have shown up and appears more deer activity that just a few days ago. These cool nights and days are going to help a lot. Leaves are changing fast and dropping.
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Finally I have been seeing daylight movement. I had a four pointer cruze by last evening.  Kinda cool looking rack, he had big crab claws. Plus scrapes are popping up.

Offline Lady Frost

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2016, 03:01:00 PM »
Good luck to everyone.  I went in late Sept, but didnt see anything.  Havent been able to get back out yet, working too much, but I have plans to go here in about 3 weeks.  My friends seem to think I have a really good chance to get one on their land.  Can't wait.
My cup runneth over

Traditional Bowhunters of GA
North GA Traditional Archery Club
South GA Traditional Archery and Primitive Skills Club

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 11:50:00 AM »
I have so many deer out back I have to keep chasing them out of the yard. Maybe it is the apples under the trees that keeps them coming back.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 03:45:00 PM »
Saw two bucks last night, both 4 pointers. Would have been easy shots, but they need at least 3 on a side. Also saw a doe and two fawns. Scrapes are starting to show up, as well as a few rubs. Hopefully this evening will be good.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 03:51:00 PM »
Have seen a few small ones in the 2x I've been out hunting.  This morning I see a dandy 9pt going through the back yard as I was packing to head to Wolpole Island duck hunting.  Now all I am going to do is think about getting home to hunt that buck.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2016, 07:11:00 AM »
Had a close encounter with a 11 point I have on trail camera. He sure is a smart buck. Hope to see him again. Heat rate maxed out. WOW Just out of range.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2016, 10:25:00 AM »
Plan was a flop, just too much pressure this year in that area. Time to hit a couple old spots further north. Breaking out the scents and sitting on the ground in some big woods near Manistee later this week, good luck guys!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©