3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Michigan deer season  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Michigan deer season
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
Seeing a lot of movement in the evenings.  Several 6 pts and 4 pts within range but holding out for something I have yet to see.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline oldrubline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:00 PM »
Last friday I finally took a big bodied 8 point.  Lots of scrapes and rubs showing up in the spots we have scouted in the past. Hope to shoot another next week when we go back in for a 5 day camp. My buck  and story is over on the Highlights section.

Dan in the U.  P.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2016, 09:43:00 PM »
Really warm here today. It's always a bad sign when I don't get cold changing into my hunting clothes. Had a group of four-wheeler riders go by while I was getting ready. Seeing that I was going hunting, they all whooped real loud and gunned their engines as they went by. Gotta love hunting public. Hiked into some big acorn ridges that have always been good to me in the past. There were absolutely NO acorns. Anyone else noticing this this year? I ended up sitting where there used to be a really heavy trail, but it barely looks used now. I guess I'll pull the plug on that spot for the year.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2016, 01:55:00 AM »
Most guys don't believe the hype and don't sit 10-2. Now is the time for the next week fellas. Gotta sit the noon hour  if you want to see the big boys moving. They get up about 11 and seek em til 1. Don't worry about weather and all, just try. Don't ask me how I know. Lol.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 02, 2016, 07:01:00 AM »
We are doing ok....son and I both have meat in the freezer. Big buck sightings are down, this warm weather isn't helping. Seeing lots of small bucks, but we have several whoppers on the property so holding out...

"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 02, 2016, 10:36:00 AM »
Good work Roger! I'm hunting with my son Saturday. I got him into traditional hunting three years ago and he loves it. I gave him my N.M. Baraga which he shoots well. That gave me an excuse to get a Classic from Steve to go along with my Whisper. It looks like your son might be shooting a N.M.

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 02, 2016, 11:18:00 AM »
Congrats to you both Roger! Good luck guys.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2016, 11:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Vesty:
Good work Roger! I'm hunting with my son Saturday. I got him into traditional hunting three years ago and he loves it. I gave him my N.M. Baraga which he shoots well. That gave me an excuse to get a Classic from Steve to go along with my Whisper. It looks like your son might be shooting a N.M.
Yes...Danny is shooting a NM with juniper laminations. Beauiful bow.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Good job Roger and Danny.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by T Folts:
Good job Roger and Danny.
Thanks Terry....I'm surprised you haven't nailed the big boy yet?

Our spots are close enough together, I'm betting we have some of the same genetics in our herd(s)....I'll send a couple your way this week, you push a couple over toward me   :bigsmyl:

I'm making an all day sit Sunday...that should be the day. All our corn will be cut by then.    :pray:

G. Fred Asbell

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
I've passed up a few waiting patiently but it is getting harder and harder, lol. I'm going to kick a few your way this weekend should be there by noon. From now till the 15th I'll be out a lot more.
Best of luck.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline abbatoys

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
I agree with Overspined. I am on vacation until the 23rd ( I think ). Plan on doing some lunch time hunts and see what happens. Been hearing bucks grunting and chasing every night out, but nothing more that a 6 point sighting
62" Thunderstick Moab  52lb @ 28"
60" Bear Takedown 45lb @ 28"
60" Bear 59'er 45lb @ 28"

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: November 04, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
I had a really nice 8 point come in tonight, grunting with his nose to the ground. He was on track to pass 10 yards in front of me. I had my longbow ready and was getting ready to draw when his head went behind a tree. He was two steps from where I could shoot him when the wind swirled just a bit. His nose went up instantly and he turned and trotted away without giving me a shot. I was shaking so bad afterwards that my arrow was flopping around on my bow shelf. I've been hunting so hard to get my first trad deer, and I was almost positive that I was going to at least get a shot. It was kind of sickening when he turned and left. Oh well, that's hunting, and can if I don't have a rack to hang on the wall and some meat for the freezer, that was still an awesome experience.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: November 04, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
Getting close is the hard part. The rest will come. Don't worry about the shaking. When we quit getting excited, it's time to choose another thing go pass the time. Good job. Keep at it.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: November 04, 2016, 09:59:00 PM »
I'm sitting all day tomorrow , hoping it doesn't take that long though.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline MIPredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2016, 09:06:00 PM »
Had a very close encounter with a nice wide 8 point this morning. He came in following some does around and needed to turn right and come down the trail to me but instead turned left and followed the "tail".  Can't say as I blame a guy but I'm patiently waiting to take my first deer with a recurve and he would have been my biggest buck ever. Got a couple good glances at him and hope to see him again.  Been passing does since the 2012 EHD die-off trying to get the herd back in my area.
50# Hunters Niche Predator Recurve

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2016, 07:31:00 AM »
Nothing but birds and tree rats near camp in southern Oceana, tried a few different areas with scents and light calling.

Drove up near Free Soil and saw 17 does hustling through on different trails like a buck was chasing, but no antlers followed. If I don't kill a buck before the orange army invades, I'm switching modes to meat-hunter for the late season. I'll be out with the bow during gun, just in case a buck sneaks by...good luck guys!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2016, 10:08:00 AM »
First buck of the season today. He came by running a doe. Called him to 5 ft from my ladder. I didn't have the heart to shoot the young fella. He ambled of and ran a little doe by one more time before he was gone. I was relaxing after that and a grouse came by. It flew by like shot, a foot closer it would have knocked me out. It never gave me a shot after that. Good Luck Guys
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2016, 12:03:00 PM »
Thursday evening I got a shot at a good doe and made it count.  It was a very close shot and almost hit a little too low.  Barely caught the bottom of the heart and exited right out the bottom of the brisket between the two front legs.  Bound off 30yds and looked around wondering what happened.  The two button bucks she had with her had no clue what just happened, just stayed in place eating acorns.  

10seconds later she fell right over.  3rd trad harvest in the last 4 years, all with St Joe River bows.  

"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline MIPredator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2016, 05:36:00 PM »
Looks like a nice big swamp donkey, Doc!!  Just curious, how do you like your St. Joe bow?  I've never shot one but I like bows made in MI. I shoot Pitsley Predator from Hunters Niche but need to get back to Kalamazoo in January and shoot some other bows for fun. I know St. Joe River makes kids bows and I'm thinking about taking my boys down there to pick out a bow. They are 5 & 8 and the oldest seems to have a real interest in archery.
50# Hunters Niche Predator Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©