3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: something Odd, ?  (Read 400 times)

Offline nm41mag

• Trad Bowhunter
something Odd, ?
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Recently back to Traditional archery. I was bare shaft tuning, saw a u tube video that mentioned using the point to avoid instinctive adjustment to arrow displacement. once the shaft , and weight were finalized, I fletched them and they now impact significantly higher, still using the point. is this normal. inside my 50ft garage they fly to point of aim shooting instinctive. Mixed with the bare shafts outdoors same hold they go way high.
Paul

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: something Odd, ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
You can use the point for aiming which is commonly called gap shooting but you must find out your gaps (the relationship between the point and target) for each distance. Do a chart and memorize all gaps up to your point on distance. Then you must gap over the target past that.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
I would check for fletching or quill deflection off the shelf. Try a different nock timing.

Offline nm41mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 08:13:00 PM »
Thank you both for your replies To clarify reddogge's point is taken. I thought, I knew the gap at 20 yards, but it changed with fletching. I guess I will get out the foot powder to check Shadowhunter's suggestion. New question as I have had the nick name Maddog at my place of employment for about nine years.Do you like your prairie predators. I almost have to get one regardless of reference. I am currently shooting a Martin Howat Hatfield  55# @ 28 inches 28.5draw.
Paul

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
I absolutely love them. They are light, fast, smooth, and no noticable hand shock. Deadly accurate if you do your part.

A couple things you should know though. They aren't cut quite to center. Made no difference from what I experienced. Takes a slightly weaker spined arrow then an equal dw center cut bow.

They are only $300 to your door, with your choice of woods for riser and limb cores. Mike is a fantastic guy too.

If you get one, prepare yourself for the shock of a lifetime. Compared to the Martin, they look like a little toy because they are Pettit. When you shoot it, that toy thought will leave immediately! These R/D longbows launch an arrow with major authority, so much so, they are as fast as many recurves, and faster then quite a few....

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 08:39:00 PM »
Pm sent to you

Offline nm41mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 08:52:00 PM »
That sounds like the ticket. I am not a patient person, hunting for me is about walking not climbing trees or sitting in a blind. At one point I returned from compounds to traditional for weather reasons (cast or machined compounds require thawing your hand to put one down in north Dakota) A 3# Hatfield with bow quiver seems bulkier than needed for the mountain in New Mexico, and it is my birthday.
Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©