3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: One piece bows really that bad to lug around?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: One piece bows really that bad to lug around?
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 08:16:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it. Some good points raised here to mull over!

Offline Matabele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 08:32:00 AM »
Just had a look on a few airlines websites and they seem pretty flexible actually with regards to sports equipment, no extra charge as long as its within your checked allowance.

Might be more of an issue with internal connections on smaller planes perhaps.

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »
I started with a one piece bow, and had this bow flying with me to hunts.
Then I bought a 2 pieces bow, and never looked back.
I have a SUV, could pack a one piece but I like the convenience of a two pieces, especially if you are traveling with friends and all their gear.

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
I almost never take mine down but when I do it's darned handy.  Flying, hiking in its nice inside the pack instead of hanging off the back either banging the backs of your knees or sticking up to catch tree branches.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 02:25:00 PM »
I hardly ever take mine down to travel, if Brian at TallTines ever made a one piece I would probably own one

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 02:34:00 PM »
I have flown with my one piece longbow....stored in the PVC tubes...it travels great. On smaller bush planes it was strapped to pontoon or wing struts if would not fit.  yes it is likely more convenient for breakdown bows...but other than my Robertson Wolfer....I dont trust having to remember to carry the right hex/allen wrench with me in field and having a backup just in case.  The bow bolt in the Wolfer is genius though.....
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 07:34:00 PM »
I have a 64" one piece Tolke longbow with next to zero mass wt. Love that bow and shoot it as well or better than my heavier recurves.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
If you travel by airplane: three piece.

If you travel by car or foot: one piece is fine, usually lighter, easier to silence when shooting, invariably better looking, simpler, less apt to fail, cheaper.

Did I miss anything?
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 11:40:00 PM »
I don't fly with a bow, so one piece is usually no different than a two or three piece. Difference would come into effect when backpack hunting, if I bagged something, it would sure be nice to break the bow down and put in my pack. I'm using a one piece Whip now, hasn't been an issue, but if I can ever get a chance to shoot a 64" Poison Dart and if it will handle my long draw,i will order a 2 piece one.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 11:51:00 PM »
As so many have said, I have TDs that I never take down or for that matter seldom unstring. They hang on he wall ready to go.  I can't afford to fly off someplace to hunt anyway.

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 05:12:00 AM »
I've had 1, 2, and 3 PC. The only time it matters to me is in elk camp. The rides out and back in the dark make the two PC like a bow bolt or jack knife worth every penny. I rode this year with my 3 piece strung a lot of the time. Some mornings without any star or moonlight I had to take it down. I like the two PC best. Although at home it would never be taken down.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »
OK, so the convenience of take downs for travel by plane has been covered. I will add another convenient piece,

I know 2 different people who broke their one piece bows while packing in on horse back to Elk camp. Both people said if they had a two piece they would not have been broken.

I own a 2 piece and love it.  Usually I fly 1-2 times a year with it.  Yes, Most of the time it stays together, but for the times I need it to come apart, it sure is handy.

I own a Big Jim 2 piece bow.  You would never know it is a  2 piece unless someone showed you. As far as performance difference.... this is based purely on opinion.... With your naked eye, you will not see any difference lb for lb.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

If you travel by car or foot: one piece is fine, usually lighter, easier to silence when shooting, invariably better looking, simpler, less apt to fail, cheaper.

Did I miss anything?
I'll buy part of the above. Easier to silence? invariably better looking? No way. You left out the 2-piece. My 2-piece Java Man Elk Heart looks the same, feels the same and is just as quiet as the identical model in 1-piece.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
I have no issue in a car / truck.  It is the plane that makes a three piece a better deal.
ChuckC

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2016, 09:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:

Originally posted by Stumpkiller:

Did I miss anything?
I'll buy part of the above. Easier to silence? invariably better looking? No way. You left out the 2-piece. My 2-piece Java Man Elk Heart looks the same, feels the same and is just as quiet as the identical model in 1-piece.

[/b]
Gregg makes a hell of a bow and if I ever won that hunt of a lifetime and needed to fly and pack in I would be contacting him.  But that's a two piece and we were talking three piece.  The ones with the bolts on the limbs or even . . . shudder . . . metal risers.

I like to bring the old girls back out of garages and basements and look for those $75 to $150 recurves needing love and care.

Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2016, 09:57:00 PM »
A takedown would be more convenient when riding a four wheeler (quad)
I didn't think of that one when I ordered my Big Jim Buff. Jim tried to push me in that direction it was only $100 more. But I thought I never fly anywhere. After I got my bow I was,thinking how nice a takedown would be on the wheeler.

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
I used three piece bows for a few years but rarely took them down. I'm now shooting a two-piece prototype and have already found it more convenient than the three piece as far as ease of transport. Quite convenient in my opinion!

Of course, 99% of the time a one piece isn't an issue for me. I can fit three 66+" bows in the back of my wife's Yaris without trouble and that's my brother and I have done the same in his '69 Bug. Neither of those vehicles are particularly spacious, lol!

Then again, I don't travel much for hunting. Your mileage may vary!

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Stumpkiller, I see that you were talking about 3-piece bows, but the original post asked about 2-piece vs 1-piece. He stated that he had already owned 3-piece and was familiar with them. I don't disagree with you; just wanted to throw out the 2-piece as a viable option.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 05:39:00 PM »
1-piece bows aren't the end of the world to travel with but they are long and much more likely to be damaged by airlines.   I've been on a multi-year search for a 2-piece that I actually enjoy shooting as much as my 1-piece with plans to make a custom shadowed AR rifle sized Pelican case for when traveling.  In the case I plan to put bow, arrows, binoculars, quiver, etc in it and then the monkeys in airports can do whatever they want to it or when traveling by car I can toss luggage on top of my bow case and nothing is going to happen to any of it.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 08:28:00 PM »
Simple solution...have one of each!  You know you'll have more than two bows anyway   :)

My problem is I have too many...now which T/D do I pack for my hunt in IOWA    :knothead:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©