3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What would YOU do?  (Read 979 times)

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
What would YOU do?
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:39:00 PM »
Last year I decided to hunt the ground strictly..... I've had close encounters with bears in past years (15 yards) on the ground including a run in in the dark last year during bang stick season with a very angry one but it decided to just voice it's disgust to me while leaving the area.
Sat. Morning at fist sun in the dark timber I heard a sound that caught my attention (it was that dark where you can see the trees but still to dark to make a lot out). Well I slowly looked around (not wanting to bust an incoming deer) and didn't see anything. I looked again and caught movement 60 yards out. I grab my bow and keep watch... More movement, more than one animal.
I'm on a ridge the deer like to travel that's 60 yards wide I have a good tree in the middle I sit against that out the passing deer within 30 yards either way.
All I've a sudden 3 body's go flying up trees I suddenly realize these are Cubs I stand and the big sow is working her way towards me.
I took off straight away as quickly and quietly as possible only pausing to look back and make sure nothing took chase. 20 min later my brother had the crew pass him (he was in a tree) and the only way for them to get to him was to cross my area (he was only 80 yards from me).
So.... What would you do in a situation like that?
Can't carry my pistol here in NY during bow season...
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What would YOU do?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
You did about the only thing you could have.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:31:00 PM »
I'd buy a bear tag.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline SC Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Marc X2
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Pope & Young General Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
You did the right thing.......back out as carefully as you can. If it's a constant issue I would carry bear spray at all times and have it handy.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:50:00 PM »
I'll add if I was armed and I normally am I would have done the exact same thing. There is no need for confrontation when it can be avoided, especially with cubs involved.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Bear spray?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
Bear spray .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 06:10:00 PM »
I would have sat there and seen how close she would have gotten. You have a better chance of winning the lottery twice than to be hurt by a black bear in a hunted population.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 06:47:00 PM »
The cubs could have been a game changer. Especially if you ended up in between mom and the kids. If you decide on bear spray think about the conditions if you deploy it. In high winds spray could do more harm than good if it blows back on you.

Offline topknot876

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 07:11:00 PM »
its hard to say, wild animals are unpredictable, especially bears, I have quite a few bears where I live in alberta and from my experience if you hold your ground then back out slowly they will not press home a charge but a sow with her cubs is a different story, count yourself lucky, I would consider bear spray in the future

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm definitely thinking I need a can of spray, where I hunt I'm not allowed to take a bear nor do I wish to orphan Cubs. Glad you guys feel the same way I did I was kinda thinkin afterwards I was being a whimp lol. They had to cross within 30 yards of where I was and my concern was her catching my wind in the fight zone rather than the flight zone.
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline RodL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
I would have done the same thing, we are allowed to carry a handgun during bow season, but I would rather back out quietly then have to use the handgun. Although very unlikely you would be attacked by a black bear, you never know what a bear with cubs will do

Rodney

Offline Dirtyjimmy85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 02:37:00 AM »
I know the feeling last year I went up to NY and hunted with a friend. I had never been in bra country before so it was all new to me. Opening morning of gun season we got there about an hour before light which is something I don't normally do anyway.  Well my friend had showed me where I would be huntin the day before and when we went in I just headed down this old logging trail found a good spot and sat down. I had been there about 20 minutes and started hearing something walking around out in front of me. I was thinking it was a deer and kept waiting for some light so I could blast it. Well finally it starts to get light out and I see two black objects moving around, then I see one big one and I froze. I just sit there not moving scared half to death until they all finally lingered away from me. Nothing like your first time in bear country having them in your lap

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
Whats Bra country?  I'm not sure but it sounds like I would want to take a  trip to its neighboring country? lol

Here in NY a couple years ago, I was hunting on the NY and VT border on  huge piece of public land.  Absolute Gods country up there.  I had a  sow with three cubs walking straight at me.  I didnt think much of it because there was a big tangle between us and I thought they would turn.

After the sow went straight through the thick mess, Its apparent she is on track to run me over.  At 20 yards I whistle and wave at her.  She stops and stares at me while I continue waving.  

She must have thought it was the wind (there wasn't any that morning)  because she kept coming.

at 15 Yards I stand up and wave both my arms at her she took another 2 steps and stopped to look at me. now she is about 10 or 12 yards.  She assessed the situation pivoted on one foot and walked away with all 3 cubs in tow.  I watched them walk all over the mountain for the next hour.

The cool thing I thought was the cubs all were hopping to make sure they stepped directly in moms tracks.

I wasn't too concerned until she started getting close.  Mind you I was carrying a rifle and would have shot if I had to, but I was confident she would not attack because I wasn't doing anything to make her think I was coming after her cubs and she was given early warning.

I think given your position, you should do nothing. Keep hunting. Carry Bear Spray if it makes you feel better.  If you get uncomfortable with a bear getting too close, Stand up and shoo her away make noise that isn't shouting as to scare away deer.  Bears will respect you if you respect them.  Oh and take the Twinkies out of your pockets   ;)    :p
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 07:43:00 AM »
Same thing you did!
SWA Spyder

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:00 AM »
We all have our own experiences.  I have had a few.  My opinion is you did the right thing.  I might have yelled a bit to alert "my brother" that they are coming.  

We all talk about mama black bears, but I read some interesting verbiage from a couple very renowned bear researchers who actively seek out mama / cub groups crossing dirt roads and they drive right to them, jump out and run at them yelling.   Cubs go up the tree, mama runs just a bit then circles them pi$$ing and moaning ... but never actually comes in, in spite of them actually handling the cubs .

Ummm don't do that with grizzly's, just saying.
ChuckC

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
I would of done what you did. Personally I would never carry a gun while bow hunting, makes it bow and gun hunting and it just becomes a crutch.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2016, 02:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by forestdweller:
I would of done what you did. Personally I would never carry a gun while bow hunting, makes it bow and gun hunting and it just becomes a crutch.
If you are carrying a sidearm for defense against either 2 or 4 legged predators and the bow is the only weapon you will shoot game with, how are you gun hunting? The only way it could be a crutch is if you don't trust yourself to only take game with the bow.

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 03:02:00 PM »
I've got a similar situation. There's a big bear coming through my spot. I suspect it's a male. I saw him on Friday and hes definitely in the 300 pound range. I want to bow hunt him but I'm a ground pounder and if he charged me from 15 yards I don't think I would survive. I have a wife and son and I need to make sure I come home at the end of the day.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©