3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice or encouragement  (Read 810 times)

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
Need advice or encouragement
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:22:00 AM »
Season starts Saturday and I have a problem. For months now I've been drilling my 3D target out to 25yds with a few "off days" here and there. Yesterday and today I can't shoot for crap. My bow and arrows are in tune so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. This is my first year with traditional equipment and my confidence just dropped. I was going to take the next two days off from practice and just go Saturday. What do you think? The other option is my compound.  Thanks in advance.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice or encouragement
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 01:27:00 AM »
I'd try shooting one arrow at a time. Maybe try stump shooting. Roam around. When you spot something that catches you're eye in a soft looking spot, shoot at it.

Hunt closer if you need to. I've got a stand that consistently produces 5-10 yard shots. Its hard to get a shot off that close but doable.

Offline Msturm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 02:56:00 AM »
After a rough day I like to start the next one at a slam dunk distance. like 10 or 12 yards. I shoot one arrow at a time from several different angles at the short distance.  Then I back up. If I am off at a longer distance at least i know anything within 30 feet of me is going on the table. I also end with some close shots, sitting, kneeling, shooting around a tree. standard form etc. just to end on a good note.  

Get up early saturday and kill a big deer. That will boost your confidence like no other!

Msturm
Stalker Coyote FXT Long bow 49#

Aloha!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:23:00 AM »
I do exactly as Mike except when he goes to 10 yards, I go to 5.

I get real close, and really focus on form and release or follow through.  sometimes I will close my eyes to better focus on those things. (check out blind (or blank) bale shooting)  It really helps a lot.

Then I will back up. Usually that fixes my issues.

Go hunting, keep shots close and enjoy.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:59:00 AM »
imho 25 yards is getting out there for most of us as stated above i try to set up where my max shot is around 15 yards but to you qustion when i start shooting bad " and usually after ive been shooting alot of concecutive days " i put my target about 10 to 15 yards out my front door and ill shoot a arrow a hour usually helps me out alot
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline jim phenes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:00 AM »
I went through the same thing a week before ny started. it's all mental. take your short distance shots and one arrow at a time. maybe even blind bail to. good luck it will come back

Offline gordydog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 08:31:00 AM »
Agree about shooting one arrow, close, did you control the shot?  Pull arrow, back up if you shot it well.  Shoot from different angles, elevations, off balance, twisting, turning, heavy cloths, face mask, canting, reverse canting....learn what you can and can't do. Be critical of that first "cold" arrow. Best of luck.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »
You may be over thinking. With the season close, you may be feeling a bit apprehensive, causing you to "bear down" on the shot. Don't do that. Shoot loosely and comfortably as you have been doing in preparation. Bear down only on "the spot" as you smoothly make your release. In short, don't change up the shot sequence.
Sam

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 09:27:00 AM »
There's lots of good advise here.  

I wouldn't even attempt shooting arrows at 25 yards as a newer shooter.

Almost every deer I've ever shot has been in the 15 to 20 yard range.  That includes shooting with a shotgun.  The reason is simple.  Hunting is not the same thing as shooting.  Hunting is the art of getting close to your quarry so that you can take it.

If you go back to the training bow, you'll go back with the wrong attitude: "I can take long shots to compensate for deficiencies in hunting skills."  I've done that too.  Never worked well for me.  

Good luck, you'll be fine. Stick to hunting.  Focus on hunting. It'll work for you.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
I've been doing this a long time and every year I go through the same thing right before the season. The anticipation of the up coming hunt and the pressure to shoot perfectly creates the perfect storm. I can't shoot for crap.

As schmidty3 says, take a Judo for a walk. Go roving. I gaurantee you will be drilling everything you shoot at.

You are fine and do not have to resort to the compound.

Good luck!
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:00 AM »
You might be getting performance anxiety since season is close. Its easy to become results oriented and lose focus on the shot process.
I shoot no more than 3 arrows in a group and will occasionally verbalize the shot process as I do it. Helps me to remember that I am building the shot

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
Shooting instinctive  ( and even using sights, but moreso with "I") is literally all in your head.  Little things change your style, your sight picture, your grasp on reality (OK... your grip on your bow).  All of those things can and likely will affect your shooting.

Shoot closer and hit the ten ring for a while.  get it back ( in your head), but remember, most shots at critters are taken at much shorter distances than 25 yards.
ChuckC

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 10:40:00 AM »
Lot's of good advice...

I don't shoot much before a big hunt.   I try to pack my bow up right after I shot well and hold that confidence through the hunt (works mostly for travel hunts).

And try different targets...big targets like 3D targets are fun, but sometimes can distract.  Try shooting a plastic bottle and aim for the cap only...I bet it will surprise you in good ways..

Ohh and relax.

Offline forestdweller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 11:20:00 AM »
Stop shooting the targets and go stump shooting.

Shooting targets can induce a form of anxiety for many people myself included because you start to put too much pressure on yourseelf.

Stump shooting is completely different than target shooting and simulates a real hunting scenario much better than shooting targets.

My suggestion, go stumping with ZERO expectations of hitting anything. This way you are not pressuring yourself.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 11:45:00 AM »
i'll add that even though ive never killed a squirrel with a bow, most the time im only missing an inch or two or the squirrel jumps it, either way, just barely missing a 2"x4" target still means you would hit the 10"x 12" target (or whatever a deer is). ITs odd that I find confidence in missing a squirrel but I do!!! haha

Offline Hickrylb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Its not gonna be easy ,im not one to talk ive had the Trad bug and never connected ,but once we both do ,itwill be so much more satisfactory than any wheel bow .
I like building HICKORY selfbows,#45lb Kodiak hunter,50#lb Bear Byron Ferguson Royal Safari,Indian Archery 35#lb recurve,Petry snake backed selfbow

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Don't think about it , just shoot without thinking .
As seguested , stumpin' , see a shot , stare at it without thinking and just put the arrow where it needs to go .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Remember this.....no deer is going to hang around for you to put a nice tight group into them. Groups are nice for target shooting, but it dont mean doo-doo when it comes to killing a deer. You got 1 arrow, so Shoot them close, 15 yards or less. Thats really what this is about. Over the years, my average shot has been 12 yards. Can you put em in the vitals at 12 yards?

Offline tradrookie93

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
I have now plans for shooting a deer at
25, that was just an example of how well I was shooting. All my setups are max 20 with 30 yard lanes from my compound days. I've never had to make a shot over 20.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »
Invest in a copy of "Masters of the Barebow, Volume III".  Best advice I can offer, other than attending a Rod Jenkins clinic next year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©