3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need advice or encouragement  (Read 809 times)

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need advice or encouragement
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
I wanted to mention earlier DO NOT shoot when you are frustrated.  Put it down and walk away. come back when you are relaxed.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
There are good days and bad days.  Mathematically, assuming your skill level has a normal distribution (bell-curve) of hits within the kill zone, there will sometimes be several days when you can't miss (say, the 3rd standard deviation) and days when you can't hit the darn thing to save your life.  Both are equally likely outcomes in a random sample.  Skill levels put these events as more and more rare, shrinking your "cone of error."  Want to feel better, put it down for a few days to end your frustration but then pick it up again to resample your data.

A few months ago, I bought a fun little Ben Pearson recurve that I wanted to hunt with.  I shot it for a couple months but never could be quite as good as I was with my Sammick.  So I picked up the Sammick again and started drilling arrows, one right after the next, 4/5 arrows touching each other at 20 yards. Standing, kneeling, sitting, canted, vertical, mixed yardage -- I couldn't miss.  What changed?  Who knows?  Just another day and another data sample.

Now as for taking 25 yard hunting shots...
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Very good advice above!   :thumbsup:    :campfire:
David M. Conroy

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2016, 12:03:00 AM »
Same thing happened to me a while back. I could not figure it out but stumbled on the cure. I bought a new tab as I lost my tab I usually use. I was back to shooting good. Found my old tab and couldn't believe how worn it was. At least thats what did it for me.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2016, 12:35:00 AM »
Confidence is everything. No worse feeling than wounding one. I went back to a compound, because I made a couple bad shots. 2017 is the year I plan to hunt trad for deer.  I will shorten my shots to 12 yards and use attractants to bring them in close.

I'm great on the range. Picking a spot on live game has been the hardest party. I've since grown as a hunter and don't get as shooken up as in years past and with a shorter range and more experience, I'm giving it another go.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©