3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tips for hunting in the rain  (Read 902 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
tips for hunting in the rain
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:26:00 PM »
my time to hunt is limited to weekends so I hunt no matter weather or wind. looks like its going to be a very wet weekend and I plan to hunt both days regardless. any good tips for hunting in a steady rain?
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tips for hunting in the rain
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 12:31:00 PM »
Rain gear........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »
I worry about the blood trail in the rain but still do it occasionally.  I bet your deer will be there this weekend rain or shine.  If it's not a downpour I stick w wool- don't really like rain suits.  Popup blinds are nice in the rain- but in your situation that won't work
Get'em
Tim

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 12:35:00 PM »
Still hunting is effective in the rain . The rain clears your sent and noise .
Just don't wear crunchy sounding rain coat .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 01:20:00 PM »
Just keep your bow and string well waxed and try to keep your fletching and glove / tab dry.  I would also hunt when I had the time, including in rain, but I guess I would be a bit more picky about shots.  

Good luck and pick a spot.
ChuckC

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 01:23:00 PM »
If your not moving a bunch , a tree umbrella is nice. Pretty light and rolls up tight for carry. Makes a serviceable ground blind too.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:30:00 PM »
Using a blind can be nice in the rain

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »
I use those little tree umbrellas that screw in overhead. Just have to watch the height of your setup so your bow tip doesn't hit.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
When I used to hunt in the wet, I tried to pay close attention to waterproofing my fletching as well as using a cover. I have a Cabela's rain suit that has a soft exterior that is not noisy, but it is awfully warm in early season. If it is not cold out, you may use a light wool shirt that will keep you from getting chilly when wet but will be very quiet. Be sure to wear a head gear that does not drain water down the back of your neck - awfully irritating. You've already got the most important item for hunting in the rain, which is a determination to stay with it. Good luck.
Sam

Offline The-Talon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
I would also recommend hunting to thick bedding areas. Deer will bed down like we would in the rain.. Somewhere dry, out of the wind and preferably close to a food source. So try to get into the deers brain and think of a spot that has those 3 things.. And sit just off a trail and wait for the moment.. And hope that lady luck gives you a kiss on the cheek!
Mother Nature is my religion. Tooth fang and claw.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
String tracker couldn't hurt. At least it won't wash away.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 06:40:00 PM »
I'm lucky that i have plenty of time to hunt with my job. I hunt alot at my uncle's cabin and when it rains and i mean rain i sit by the fire with a glass of Bourbon or a jar of shine and just relax. I'll put on some bluegrass/country or watch a favorite movie of mine which is usually Patton.

Now if i decide to go out and it is going to be a light rain i have my favorite pine to sit under with my tree umbrella. I cover my fletchings and i don't bother with my shooting glove since i can shoot bare fingers. As for rain gear i just ware my wool, gets wet but keeps me warm. But for the most part i do what i stated above.

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
Graps is right.

One of the best buck I shot, I got him off his bed at 15 yards while NYC was getting hammered with Sandy four years back.
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Bobaru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I should have added, where we live we only had rain storms and wind.... instead of a hurricane...
Bob

"A man has to control himself before he can control his bow." Jay Massey

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 07:48:00 PM »
I like to hit the ground walking in the rain, but based on your situation with those bucks, I'm not sure I would recommend that. My only other suggestion is to keep shots well inside your effective range. It can get really tricky trying to track a marginally hit deer in the rain. And make sure you have ribbon or something similar ready to mark a blood trail, and mark every spot. This will give you a good line on direction of travel, and keep you from losing where that last spot of blood was.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2016, 08:19:00 PM »
the thing that will help me right now is I am set up for a 10 yard shot max and i'm using a heavy arrow and large broad head. the only thing that worries me is after I hit one I know its going to bolt for the thick stuff and in a heavy rain that will be difficult. as I stated I can only hunt weekends so if it rains it rains...
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2016, 08:34:00 PM »
I love to hunt in a mist or very light rain wearing wool, anything heavier I'll be under a  tree umbrella or back at camp.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
The last seven deer I've shot with the bow required no blood trailing. All fell within sight. I have shot many others that also fell within sight.

Of course, most haven't. Close shots, large sharp broadheads and limiting your shot to comfortable ranges/angles should assist in quick, short recoveries.

Good luck.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2016, 09:02:00 PM »
Ken, I know you dont want to do it, but I suggest you stay home with the boy.

If you are hell bent on hunting use an umbrella and string tracker.  

Personally, if the wind isn't right stay off the field by the house. instead hit that big valley we hunted a  few years back down the road and do a loooong sloooow still hunt.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2016, 09:10:00 PM »
I will take thick cover for trailing over open fields or woods any day. Wounded deer tend to take the path of least resistance. If a marginal shot should occur, I would suggest taking up the trail immediately. BUT, only go a short distance. Just enough to establish a direction of travel after the initial "bolt for cover".
Please keep in mind this is only a suggestion. A lot of factors can play into the decision of when to follow and when to just back off. Shot placement, how heavy rain is(or gonna be), knowledge of common escape routes, ability to track, coyotes..... You get the idea.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©