3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Older production Bear Grizzly ID Please help.  (Read 410 times)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Older production Bear Grizzly ID Please help.
« on: October 21, 2016, 08:18:00 PM »
Just received a Bear Grizzly from a friend. Never been shot but painted many years ago. Serial # is KR79126. Has a brass coin flush with finish. Looks like green glass with white tips.Bow is 58" long and 45#. Any help would be appreciated.Still busy removing paint. Thank you.   :banghead:

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Older production Bear Grizzly ID Please help.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »
The KR in front is 70-78, that's from a Chart in the book by Coppen on the History of Bear bows.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:24:00 PM »
The brass coin dates it 1963-1970, and the fact it is flush confirms it.

Copper Coin – 1959
      Aluminum - 1960-1961
      Pewter – 1962
      Brass - 1963 – 1970
      Nickel-Silver - 1971-1972

All Bear bows manufactured after '72 had a plastic coin mounted proud of the surface.

Part of this URL:
   http://www.****.com/gds/How-To-Date-Your-Fred-Bear-Bow-/10000000001896218/g.html

Stupid filters. Where the asterisks are in the URL, insert the four letters of the largest auction site in the world.   :knothead:
Aim small,miss small

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 09:27:00 PM »
Starting in 1973 the Grizzlys had a 2 tone green/black riser.  I think that '73 was the year that Bear transitioned from the flat metal coin to the raised plastic.  If I remember correctly, the beginning of the year were flat, and later production was the raised coin, but not positive of that.  If your bow is the 2 tone riser, my guess is early 1973.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
I agree with Whip.  I have heard some folks assert Bear started with the Green/black riser in late 1972.  It definitely sounds like early 1973 or very late 1972.  

In the catalog they switched to green/black officially with the 1973 model.  1972 was a shedua riser with black limbs.

What is throwing me is the white tips.  The 1973's didnt have white tips I don't think.  Hard to tell without seeing the bow.  It may not have original tips
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks for the info. I was thinking 1970. I have not cleaned paint off the tips. Will know more tomorrow. Get back with you when I have cleaned more of the bow.

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 10:44:00 PM »
1970 would be 56" AMO and have a light maple accent strip in the riser
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 10:53:00 PM »
Originally posted by ceme24:
1970 would be 56" AMO and have a light maple accent strip in the riser
Yep. Would love to find an affordable lefty, but like another hole in the head, I need it not. Just wishful thinking. I really need another doz GT trads from Big Jim  ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
The KR serial # says '70's.  '70 - '72 risers were Shedua, although Colin may very well be correct that the change to green Futurewood started later in 1972.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 11:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the input. Finished taking off all the paint. The bow has what appears to be a Burbinga riser but in deference to "Whip" it could be "Shedua". The limbs are either a very dark green or black glass. I'm leaning toward black. Tips are white. Pretty sure, from input here, that the bow was built in 1970. All decals and writings on the bow survived the paint removal. Definitely a Grayling, Mich. bow and, by the way, it shoots like a dream.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 12:53:00 PM »
If it is 58", it's not a 70 Grizzly, they were 56".  In 71 they went back to 58" with a shedua riser, black glass and white tip overlays.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 03:12:00 PM »
Phil is right on the length, so that should tell you what you have.  1970 also listed it as having Glade Green glass, and 1971 was black.  If you'd like, I'd be happy to send you a copy of the page from the catalogs.  Just send me a PM with your email address.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©