3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Talk me off the ledge  (Read 503 times)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Talk me off the ledge
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »
Well fellas i was super excited to get into the woods this morning until i went out to take a practice shot and had another index nock break on me upon release. This time with my brand new psa. Now I've had this happen before on older bows  but this one cut me deep. I didn't even go to the woods because i was so pissed. However rare, I've never been able to figure out why this happens sometimes other than the nocks being damaged without me having noticed. Now I've been through just about everything negative associated with trad archery including TP, being a terrible shot, broken bows and so on but this incident has made me wonder how much more cash,effort, and heartbreak i can poor into this sport. I love traditional archery but man it can be frustrating. I don't want to sound whiney but i need you guys to talk me out of this awful state of mind lol.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Talk me off the ledge
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 11:03:00 AM »
I don't like the older style index nocks.  I use Bohning Classics now and never had a problem with breakage.  Old stock nocks can get brittle with age so that could be the problem.  You may not have had them long but no telling how long they may have set in a dealers shop.  I wouldn't let a little thing like a nock get me defeated.  I too have had all of those issues you listed--not so much fun, but love archery too much to give up. Hang in there.   ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:07:00 AM »
David thanks for the reply. The nocks i have are classic index nocks and they are brand new. I put them on all of my arrows for the start of this season. The only reason i use them is because they are all I've ever used on shafts with the swagged nock ends. Thanks again man

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 11:21:00 AM »
I feel your pain!  I lost a nice 21st Century bow due to one of those nocks.  It broke upon release and essentially dry fired the bow.  Took both limb tips off and cracked one limb.  There are times when it seems that all your effort ends up with more trouble and strife.  Traditional archery should not be this hard!!!

Step back and take a deep breath.  This is supposed to be fun!  We all go through these slumps to one degree or another.

One thing I did years ago was to switch to carbon arrows.  That took a lot of variables out of the equation.  Good and pretty consistant shafts that were tough.  COmponenets were easy to find and it is cheaper in the long run for me.

Stay with and keep going Brother!  You are not alone!

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:27:00 AM »
Are those non-snapping nocks?  I had trouble with those, too.  Cost me a set of limbs on my PMA.  I don't use them anymore.

Could be as easy as changing to a new nock.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »
Michael that picture is awful. But I've been there as well. Totally sucks man.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 12:33:00 PM »
Yup, pretty much sucks! It happens, but it happens with the compound is well.
 I've been in your shoes, wondering if this sport is worth the time. One thing I've always realized when I'm at this point is that I am comparing my self too much with others success.  You see all these giant bucks surfacing on Facebook and other sites and forget that these are taken with modern equipment that doubles or triples the ratio of success. We can't compare ourselves to those odds.
The sport can't be a competition, unless it is with oneself.  The best advise I can give is to stop and smell the roses, take a picture of your bow as the sun comes up, listen to the wind on the leaves, and for gods sake shoot whatever comes by...in years that are dry sometimes it's good to lower your expectations for trophy quality in fact, it's therapeutic.
Also, if you don't already have a buddy to hunt with, go find one and put him in your best spot...that's how good hunting buddies are made   ;)

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/bohning-classic-index-glue-on-arrow-nocks.html

These are the nocks i use^ And i guess these are the nocks I've always used. But Archie i may doing just that, trying different nocks or maybe goin back to carbons. I guess I'll just be spending more    :dunno:

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:42:00 PM »
Michael you are correct and thank you for the kind response.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of the Classic nocks, I liked the old Mercury nocks. I haven't had on break though.

Hang in there, we all struggle at times and it will get better.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 12:51:00 PM »
Broken nocks are usually from banging arrows when shooting to many at a single target.  I limit the number of arrows in each group to 3 and inspect the nocks after each round.

Even at this a broken one happens now and then.

Is this the only one that broke in this batch.

A few years back they had problems with one color breaking at an alarming rate but I don't remember the color.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 01:18:00 PM »
I had an issue with these same nocks. The yellows ones were the ones that gave me issues. Could be a coincidence, but I had three of them break at one bow shoot. I quit shooting and when I got home I changed them all.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 01:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
 I've been in your shoes, wondering if this sport is worth the time. One thing I've always realized when I'm at this point is that I am comparing my self too much with others success.  You see all these giant bucks surfacing on Facebook and other sites and forget that these are taken with modern equipment that doubles or triples the ratio of success. We can't compare ourselves to those odds.
The sport can't be a competition, unless it is with oneself.  The best advise I can give is to stop and smell the roses, take a picture of your bow as the sun comes up, listen to the wind on the leaves, and for gods sake shoot whatever comes by...in years that are dry sometimes it's good to lower your expectations for trophy quality in fact, it's therapeutic.
Also, if you don't already have a buddy to hunt with, go find one and put him in your best spot...that's how good hunting buddies are made    ;)  
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
Michael, if you was a rapper you could just "drop the mic"!!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
I haven't had any problem with the classics. Did have a batch of brittle yellow Mercury nocks a while back.
Make sure your nocks fit your string properly, or vice versa. It is not that hard to do.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 01:58:00 PM »
I use Marco snapon nocks on my woodies and never had a problem. Now the only problem with them is on my 15 strand string. They are tight but all i do is file or hear in hot water to get the fit i like.

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 02:06:00 PM »
I don't file my nocks but i do double serve my strings for the classic nocks. They snap on nicely with the string double served. Not too tight, not too loose. I know for a fact that my nock was not loose on the string this morning. But maybe it was damaged and i didn't catch it. My bow seems ok as of right now. Its just a bad feeling knowing that my new widow takin that abuse already. Oh well i guess.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 03:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
Also, if you don't already have a buddy to hunt with, go find one and put him in your best spot...that's how good hunting buddies are made    ;)  
Can't say it any better than that. Total agreement. It's you against you... the paradox that tries us all.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
Knock on wood - never broke a nock since starting with a bow as a young teen. At least not when releasing the arrow.  And I sand mine to fit when needed.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2016, 07:39:00 PM »
I've broken a couple nocks and a couple bows...sucks for sure but don't let it get you down. It was probably damaged and you didn't notice. Widows are built like tanks...I'm sure it will be fine. Get out and hunt...enjoy the woods

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©