3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can I have your 2 cents.  (Read 487 times)

Offline stickbow24

• Trad Bowhunter
Can I have your 2 cents.
« on: October 22, 2016, 05:32:00 PM »
Problem: I am over bowed.  Realized it last year but didn't do anything about it.  Now this season I am having same problems with fatigue which are amplified in the cold tree stand.  

Solution is to invest in a different bow. I am currently shooting a #60 Damon howatt 62 amo which I really like except for the weight.  I also have a 50# nomad stalker which is 52 Amo which is too short to comfortably shoot.
I have a 45# Bear tiger at which I do not care for.  

The goal is to shoot deer out to 20 yds.  I would like 55# but probably should go with 50#. I have about a 27" draw so I am not shooting the full rating.  

Budget is $300.  I am not very picky with the look. I just want recommendations on the best bang for the buck.

Thank you.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I have your 2 cents.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 05:37:00 PM »
50 push-up per day and pull up how much you can . Because next year you will searching for 40# bow .
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 05:42:00 PM »
Since you really like shooting it, sell the 60# Howatt and get a 50-55# Howatt of same model.  Your budget would allow you to get a very nice used bow.
Lon Scott

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 05:43:00 PM »
Maddog Traditional Archery if you want one made for you.  Primarily longbows, he may make a version of his lighter poundage recurves, not sure.

Samick Red Stag, or Sage, are very affordable, good shooting, one-piece recurves.  Also, their take-downs are very good, as well - with variable poundage limbs.  You could get a take-down, with a second set of limbs, for sub-$300.

Offline bowfanatik

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
But his drawlenght is 27" , he already pull 57-58 . Bow lenght 62" .....
PerunH 60"

Shoot a lot and keep it simple

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 05:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Since you really like shooting it, sell the 60# Howatt and get a 50-55# Howatt of same model.  Your budget would allow you to get a very nice used bow.
You might really like a 55ish lb bow. I really like my 62 pound TallTines for elk but would rather be shooting in the high 50s for deer and tournaments. I can't bring myself to shoot anything under 55 pounds, just don't like the trajectory with hunting weight arrows

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »
"probably should go with #50."  If this is true, do it!  You don't lose anything by deer hunting with a #50 bow.  Being over bowed is bad, hunting with a #50 bow is not.  

Consider a 3 piece take down.  A samick sage or a greatree Highlander will cost you $150 or less and then you can get another set of limbs and still be under $300. I have owned both bow and they are fine shooters.  Get a set of 45 lbs limbs for form work anf your later years,  Get a 50 or 55 lb set for hunting.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 06:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Blackhawk:
Exactly what I was thinking.  Howatt Hunters are great shooting bows. Your choice as to 50 or 55#, but I can tell you that a 5# reduction will make a world of difference.  If you can sell your 60# bow and add those funds to your $300 you could get one of each!    :thumbsup:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:06:00 PM »
For $300, you will not beat the Maddog. He makes recurves and longbows, however you want them. Clear glass is extra. If I had to nit-pick them, I think the finish could be better. What do you expect for the money though? These bows shoot hard and fast, with velvety smoothness, and the bows at even 45lbs cast an arrow flat and fast.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 07:45:00 PM »
You cannot as I'm retired, on a fixed income, and need every penny I have.  Good luck in your quest.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Wouldn't bother me a bit to drop to 50. If that reduction better fits you and protects/promotes proper form, it will bother your quarry to death.

The classifieds here are a great place to shop. You can put a WTB there and ideas will come your way.  I know, some will point to the $30 contributor/admission fee to the classifieds, but....you'll get that back quick when you get a $500-700 bow for less than half price.  AND you'll be dealing with someone who will be rooting for you!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 08:14:00 PM »
Sent you a pm.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »
You're a perfect candidate for a 62" Maddog prairie predator longbow. 50# will scream an arrow

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
A Samick 50# would be a quick fix. I've got a couple friends that love their Samick bows.

A Maddog bow is a good way to go or glean the classifieds.

50 pounds will keep your form consistent and shooting fun.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
I have a 60" 50lbs. Howatt Coranado with a stabilizer bushing someone added and it also has 2 small screws in the belly side of the sight window. It's sitting here and I'll never shoot it. Be more than happy to work a deal with you for the Browning.

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 10:00:00 PM »
Better yet,,,,,you cover the shipping and you can have it. If it's not your thing, pass it on. Shoot me a pm if your interested.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2016, 10:39:00 PM »
The new one piece Samick Sage recurve is an excellent bow. I got mine from Lancaster Archery to my door for under $200.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline stickbow24

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2016, 10:46:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for input. Ken, I sent you 2 PMs. I also looking into other bows mentioned.  

Getting excited.  Still excited to finish this season with current bow but looking forward to the adventures of a different bow.

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
You can always look for a vintage Bear too. The are is nothing wrong with the Grayling Bears, and they can be had at good prices.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2016, 07:41:00 AM »
There are many viable options within your budget to acquire a bow that you are most comfortable, proficient and lethal.

Several solid recommendations have been formerly submitted.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©