3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Self nocks..  (Read 276 times)

Offline Ouchigan72

• Trad Bowhunter
Self nocks..
« on: October 22, 2016, 08:16:00 PM »
Just wondering how many of ya'll use self nocks. I've been using them going on 3 years now never had any splitting or breakage. I cut mine across the grain with a hacksaw blade -n- sanded to eliminate sharp edges-n- widen the gap. Then wrapped with just below the cut with dental floss with a dab of glue to the wraps to keep from unraveling. Figure it is one more way to save on cost -n- so far VERY durable.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Self nocks..
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2016, 10:17:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with self nocks .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2016, 11:07:00 PM »
That's all I've used for 10 years and never had a nock break. I use mostly cane or hardwood shoots for arrows and start with a band saw cut then open it with a thin blade and sand paper. I prefer a loose fit. All self nocks have sinew wrap below the nock I've also used artificial sinew and silk thread for wraps and set them in super glue.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mud_Slide_Slim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 08:12:00 AM »
Yep, I have several dozen arrows that have either reinforced self nocks or sinew wrapped self nocks.  They are a little extra work, but I enjoy it.  I'm like PatB in that I prefer a looser fit...kinda like a mercury speed nock (which I also use at times).  I use the jig sold by Raptor Archery (a sponsor here) or you can use a hacksaw or bandsaw...whichever is at you disposal.  I use them on douglas fir, mahogany, red balau, and bamboo shafts.  Oh, and I have never had on split or break.

Bill-
Luke 10:18-20
>>>---------->

Offline Ouchigan72

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 10:26:00 AM »
Well glad to see I ain't the only one going this route. For me it was a way to save a lil $$$ -n-to go a lil more old school with my gear. Eventually would like to use stone heads but man I really like zwickey heads.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:55:00 PM »
Sinew reinforced currently into POC here. No issues, I love them.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©