3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Odors ,what if anything do you chew,  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Odors ,what if anything do you chew,
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 01:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
An apple.  It's on an apple and chew slowly or
Kinda suck on it. It's natural breath deodorizer as told to me by a dentist. My dad has been doing it since then.
Yep. Eating apples for deodorizing breath is what I've done for years. Apples also double as lunch. I've been thinking about taking a thermos of hot apple cider for cold mornings.

I also rinse with SmartMouth 12 hour mouthwash and peroxide.
Floss, brush, and clean below the gum line with a rubber gum massager.

We can't eliminate human odor but we can reduce it. Reducing odor will reduce the residual odor we leave behind and help to keep stand sites fresher.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
I use to really like licorice, the slightly sweet and salty Dutch stuff, I am Dutch mostly with a bit of Ojibwa.  In Holland they have brittle plastic, the kind that does NOT have estrogen mimickers.  I had a bag rip, all my licorice fell on the ground, one of the rare days I was in a tree stand.  The next morning there were deer tracks everywhere and not one piece of licorice.  I got me some licorice chew, Redman.   I had a cheek full of the nasty stuff, it gave my hiccups.  I spit it out before I got any sicker.   Two fawns came by and then their mamma.  One of the fawns crept up on the Redman, sniffed and jumped straight up and ran back, then the next fawn, same reaction.  then mamma tried a sniff, she snorted and bolted over the hill with her babies in hot pursuit.   I went to packing apples in my pockets.

Offline EwokArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 01:51:00 PM »
I hope my ranch sunflower seeds aren't too bad of an idea. I'm a compulsive seed eater.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »
Seeds here too but almonds pecans walnuts and different dried fruits....all in a nice snack pack ziplock....I make up 20 or so at a time- good for ya and sodium free

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by EwokArcher:
I hope my ranch sunflower seeds aren't too bad of an idea. I'm a compulsive seed eater.
Ha ha I used to be too when I played ball. Man I used to eat so many I had to stop at times my darn mouth got so sore from packing them like a chimpmonk..
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »
Copenhagen for me.  Because I like it!!  
Don't figure it really makes a difference to the deer.  
But I'd probably give a deer a chew if it wanted to bum one.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2016, 04:15:00 PM »
Sometimes the local sagebrush.  But mainly just because I want to -- it's a better aftertaste than hard-boiled eggs.  You can't beat the deer's nose.  Best case scenario is fool him to thinking you're further off than you are.  But that's a best-case scenario.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Like Terry said, you need to play the wind. What you chew doesn't matter, it is the B.O. that will give you away, and no scent killer spray or clothing will prevent it.
Sam

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2016, 07:38:00 PM »
I love the play the wind theory! Come to WV and you would never get done playing the wind or would never hunt. IF you don't figure out to fool a deers nose you mise as well stay home! First thing is don't wear wool and don't buy into the scent loc clothes either.
Copehengan here!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
I don't chew anything.

Too much motion and noise.  ;-)

But I do wear wool.     :dunno:
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 02:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
I love the play the wind theory! Come to WV and you would never get done playing the wind or would never hunt. IF you don't figure out to fool a deers nose you mise as well stay home! First thing is don't wear wool and don't buy into the scent loc clothes either.
Copehengan here!
I don't do the scent stuff, but why not wool?  I have several wool garments and haven't seen any negative effects.  Just curious how your experiences differ.

« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 03:42:00 PM »
One advantage with sitting on a portable seat and staying on the ground is that when the winds shift you can easily adjust to match the situation.   Occasionally I hear about complaints that my portability is an unfair advantage to the claim stakers with their tree stands and camera set-ups.  Just like the time a guy, sitting right on the field access tractor path,  an hour before  sunrise.  My wife heard can drop and hit other cans, saw a cigarette glow and then got a tirade of cussing from a a compound shooter with a new bow and brown nubs that use to be teeth, that was smoking and sucking down a six pack of Bud Lite before the sun was even up.   When I confronted him later, he said that he had new carbon camo so deer would have no idea where he was and what tree he was sitting in.   Yes, I told the land owner and showed him the pile of beer cans and the cardboard container that was left behind, him and friends got their butts kicked off and once again I got a bunch of death threats.   I informed the game warden and law enforcement, the game warden acted scared, the county sheriff asked me if I wanted to borrow a side arm.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
Sometimes I will chew some rabbit tobacco, rub it on my clothes and put some in my pocket. I don't know if it helps, but I like the way it smells.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
"One advantage with sitting on a portable seat and staying on the ground is that when the winds shift you can easily adjust to match the situation" I invite you to WV you won't need a seat as if you don't like the way the wind is blowing now just wait five minutes it will change in a direction you like or don't like.

IndaTimber 99% of the wool garments are not wind proof. If they are your loosing all the advantages of wool unless you consider the muted soft camo effect they offer as a shell. But then again you can gain that advantage with lots of other fabric. IF the wind is blowing through your wool or clothes in general you have two problems. ONE wind chill,  TWO deer will smell your human odor regardless of what you do after the fact.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2016, 08:50:00 PM »
Last fall I walked into a new area before sunrise. Posted up at a tree until I could see well enough to pick my spot. I was chewing skoal wintergreen.I backed up 10 yards and 2 hours later a doe fed through to that exact spot. Didn't react to the skoal juice at all.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
Totally agree deer don't associate tobacco spit as a "human" odor and don't  go on total alert. I've proved that myself years ago along with my buddies who chew on stand. However I don't openly spit on the ground from a setup as I spit in a bottle. I don't want to over saturate my hunting spot with any odor as much as I can help it. Keep in mind I SAID that "as much as possible" Because the dog boys will come along any minute and say any good dog can follow you to your stand or hideout. I totally agree 100%! Trailing ground scent is totally different from wind blown scent.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:00 AM »
I don't use anything and I don't even brush my teeth the morning of the hunt,, yeah gross but I'm not out there to have conversations with people.

if I'm using scents during the pre rut I do like to rub a little on the back of the tree up high where my stand is so if I have anything coming in on the scent I have on the ground it may pick mine up too so I try to disguise it a little and it has worked out pretty good for me.

I do bag my clothes and always keep fresh pine branches in with my clothes,,,, if its an after work hunt I will go in with my work clothes and hunt against the wind.

but here the wind will be blowing one way and right after the sun goes down it changes and if you can guess good on what that change of direction might be you'll do well..
"Us vs Them"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 09:15:00 AM »
LC touched on one of the real problems of deer hunting - swirling wind. We have that issue down here, too. I have noticed some tendencies (no Guarantee). In the morning, the breezes tend to go uphill in the bottoms I hunt, and they go downhill as the evening cools off. Most of my stands are located where it is likely to see a deer from any given direction. That helps, right up to the second that the wind shifts unexpectedly, you know, that second just before you release.

As for what is in my mouth, it is honey flavored cough drops. Early bow season is also allergy season, so I need a cough surpressant. Still I don't think what is in the mouth that will cause the problems.
Sam

Offline IndaTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2016, 01:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by LC:
"IndaTimber 99% of the wool garments are not wind proof. If they are your loosing all the advantages of wool unless you consider the muted soft camo effect they offer as a shell. But then again you can gain that advantage with lots of other fabric. IF the wind is blowing through your wool or clothes in general you have two problems. ONE wind chill,  TWO deer will smell your human odor regardless of what you do after the fact.
Ok, now I see where you are coming from. Never really had a problem with the wind, if needed I'll just wear a lined vest under or over whatever is needed, but wool is not my only clothing choice.

I do see your point, thanks for taking the time to clarify.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©