3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow-mounted arrow holder????  (Read 816 times)

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
bow-mounted arrow holder????
« on: October 24, 2016, 10:56:00 AM »
I've now tried all of the various riser mounted arrow holders/keepers sold by many of our sponsors.  ...unfortunately I get the same results from all of them.  If I try to draw the string, they pull the arrow off the string.  They don't let go?!?!  What am I doing wrong?  My impression was that they were supposed to "release" the arrow when you start to draw?  Right now they are creating much more liability to me than they are benefit.  Anyone have any experiences with them working properly and actually releasing on draw that can give me some pointers?
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow-mounted arrow holder????
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
A few pointers...

If you're shooting 3u, which is my assumption due to it pulling off the string, when you feel the opportunity for a shot coming up, pinch the arrow and pull every so slightly and it will release.  I always release mine BEFORE my draw starts.  I, too, shoot 3 under and NEVER have any type of problem.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
Best arrow holder I've found by far is a toothpick or matchstick with a rubber band.    In theory it should come off when you draw, but I always take mine off.  If things are happening fast I just flick it off and let it fall.  They are cheap to replace.   ;)  

PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:06:00 PM »
I shoot 3 under as well. I use two types of commercial arrow holders, Kwikee and a Sta-Jack.

I pre-release the arrow as I'm getting ready for the shot because the device doesn't always release without disrupting my draw.

I've never tried that toothpick idea. Looks good though and lots here swear by em.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:41:00 PM »
Whip, thank for the great pictures, worth a 1000 words.....

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:22:00 PM »
Might have to try the toothpick idea...

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:26:00 PM »
Make sure that you have installed it correctly. If you put it on the back instead of the belly, it will pull the arrow off every time. Don't ask me how I know-Hap

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
Pretty simple solution to pre-release the arrow. I use Kwik Locs myself.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 02:52:00 PM »
They are on correctly - I do shoot 3-under as Daniel mentioned above.  It's not even close - pulls the arrow off the string instantly.  Hate to have to trip them, but I'll try that.  I shoot carbons, so I would have thought they'd not need trimming.  I'll keep tinkering - thanks for the responses so far.

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
Some may see it that way - I just prefer that a product do what it's advertised to do I guess.  My question is has anyone had success in these products actually working as advertised and if so, what'd they do to achieve that.  

I have Kwik Locs on as well, and it does indeed hold the arrow, but it most certainly does not release the arrow as stated.  In the heat of the moment of readying for a shot, having that pull my arrow off the string would be a really poor way to miss an opportunity.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 03:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:

Originally posted by reddogge:
Some may see it that way - I just prefer that a product do what it's advertised to do I guess.  My question is has anyone had success in these products actually working as advertised and if so, what'd they do to achieve that.  

I have Kwik Locs on as well, and it does indeed hold the arrow, but it most certainly does not release the arrow as stated.  In the heat of the moment of readying for a shot, having that pull my arrow off the string would be a really poor way to miss an opportunity. [/b]
it will definitely release the arrow.  I have used them for a few years now.  When I was shooting split, it came off everytime during my draw cycle.  Since I have began shooting 3 under, all that has changed is I grab the nock and draw my bow back appoximately 1" and my arrow comes out.  I'm sure you could try to widen the throat a little to reduce the gripping power of it, but i've never had that problem.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline JR Belk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
I use the kwik lok. Never had one fail to release
Northern Mist Classic
Northern Mist Whisper
Northern Mist Superior

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Open it up a little with a rattail file

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
A little story. Last week I hunted 3 days from a climber and in fiddling around with stuff in the tree I had the arrow release out of the Kwik-Loc twice but the GT nock kept the arrow on the string preventing those annoying falls to the ground. The arrow was swinging around pretty good I may add.

Jonathan, the Kwik-Loc is a good product but you probably need to be a little proactive and pre-release the arrow with your thumb and forefinger before the shot. Or grab the shaft and push it back a hair. It only takes a nano second to do that. That and use a tighter nock. I don't have that problem since I shoot split finger and my pre-release takes a second before the draw.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
I have been using a kwik loc also for years now and never had an issue,I trim the opening to hold my size arrow just enough to hold it on the shelf but releases at the very beginning of the draw,but that is split fingers.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 07:32:00 AM »
I have been using a kwik loc also for years now and never had an issue,I trim the opening to hold my size arrow just enough to hold it on the shelf but releases at the very beginning of the draw,but that is split fingers.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline double eagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:00 AM »
I use the toothpick/stick trick.  I had a guy show me a bow that had a kwik loc on a bow that sat in the sun for a while.  When he removed the kwik loc, it showed how the sun faded around it.  Looked like an action figure.  No kwik loc for me.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 09:18:00 AM »
I have had a Kwik Lock on every one of my bows for as long as I can remember. I have pre released most times and I'm sure I haven't when a shot opportunity suddenly appeared.

I use split finger so pinching the nock is a natural thing. I can't see how reaming out the gripper would be of help.

I have actually caught crap for using this "gadget" on my stickbows.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 10:09:00 AM »
I've had at least 3 different ones that I know of and I've never had a problem with any of them but then again I shoot split finger so there
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 10:23:00 AM »
Kwik-locs and Sta-Jacs are my favorites.

Sometimes they require a little shaving with a razor blade where the two points come together to fit the arrow "just right"

I shoot split finger and it's pretty simple to squeeze the arrow nock with my index and middle finger to pre release the arrow.

In the "moment of truth" I don't trust any gadgets to perform "as advertised".

At that point the arrow holding gadget has done its job flawlessly and kept arrow on the rest and prevented it from rattling around and falling to the ground long enough.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©