3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone make mock scrapes?  (Read 365 times)

Online buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone make mock scrapes?
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:15:00 PM »
Hi guys I've been thinking about trying mock scrapes this fall. I was curious if anyone else creates mock scrapes? If so where do you put them? Where do you position them in relation to your stand? Are there any scents that produce more than others? Have they been successful for you?  Thanks for any input!

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone make mock scrapes?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
I'll b watching this closely, as I have been wondering the same .
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
Place it where you have a good shot, use a stick to make it, then take a whizz in it..

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 07:55:00 AM »
I make mock scrapes every year.  I mainly do mine for pics though.  They work extremely well for that.  I place a dripper and scent in them and it usually lasts for about two weeks before I refill it.  It's the dripper that only drips in the daytime after the sun warms it up.  I've been pretty pleased with the results so far.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Online TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:02:00 AM »
I plan on trying it this season.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I have had great success with mock scrapes. I make sure that I can shoot the scrape OR the scrapes location makes a shot possible as the deer comes and goes... I'll also make one near a natural one to draw the deer to a better shot distance or angle to my tree. I have a set right now with that exact scenario but I'm struggling to get the right wind to hunt it! Natural scrape at 22 yards,  mock scrape at 17 yards. I've used various products over the years and they work for me. Example would be HS Licking stick scent on the overhanging branch, and Tinks 69, Mrs Doe Pee, HS Premium Doe Estrus, or other Doe pee/Estrus scent in the scrape. It can also be effective to dribble some scent between natural scrape/trail and your mock scrape so they "find" it easy... Hopefully I can report another success story in a few days with this tactic...

Offline elkhunter-27

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 08:53:00 AM »
I made 6 fake scrapes with a recipe I picked up in an outdoor paper. I only had one that was hit.  However, yesterday after 3 cups of coffee I made a fake scrape before I climbed into my stand.  40 minutes later a spike came in and hung around for about 10 minutes before he hit the licking branch and freshened the scrape.  His big brother never showed.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't make fake ones, but freshen up real ones regularly.  I'd use the same scent if I was going to make a fake scrape - fresh and good - comes right outta your bladder.  Years ago I noticed that I'd have deer make scrapes a couple of times a year at spots where I'd stop to take a leak on the way into a stand, so I just started planning pre-stand leaks to happen into a scrape that is already there.

If yours don't work I could sell you mine for 10 bucks a bottle  :)

R

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 01:05:00 PM »

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
I tried a wicked wick last fall. This year I have four fresh scrapes within a 25 yard circumference of the wick. I did refresh the wick two weeks ago, and one of the   scrapes.

I have observed a scrape in that area before but nothing like this.

I have not seen a buck yet, but had a doe mouthing a licking branch over one of the scrapes Tuesday night.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »
I've been doing mock scrapes for years and I pee in every one every time I have a chance. Call me crazy but dead bucks don't lie.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
I make them with a scrap maker tool then pour ammonia in them. You can pee in them also. After a couple weeks I will have bucks checking them.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©