3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Does with Fawns?  (Read 1049 times)

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Does with Fawns?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 03:52:00 PM »
I am a meat hunter, so I would probably take the fawn over the doe. Fawn is better eating, and as was mentioned, the doe will have a chance with other fawns where the fawn alone may not make it through the winter.
Aim small,miss small

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
Here in a week or two, the doe will kick her fawn away anyhow when she comes into heat. They wont see each other for the better part of a month.... and maybe never. Id take either deer with a clear conscience. Here, I might shoot them both if I played it right.
That's not true, the fawns will get run away from there mothers by the bucks chasing her none stop trying breed her. And usually it's the button bucks that get run off. As soon as she's out of heat she will join back up with her fawn if she can find it and that's around a week to two weeks tops.

The young females ones will hang with the rest of the group normally and the button bucks will get run off and group up with other button and young bucks because there being a pain in the butt, literally.

Seen it, watch it, filmed it to many times to count over the years. IMHO of course    :D

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline JCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 04:21:00 PM »
Before reading this post I can honestly say I would always shoot the largest doe and never the fawn(with or without spots), but some of these comments have made me think about it a little differently...  

I have a small 30-40 acre tract my father owns that was poached about 7 years ago.  I would see multiple deer every time I went out there whether during hunting season or mid-summer.  The season we caught the poacher I didn't see any deer from the beginning of November until the next season. Seeing a deer then was very rare. He absolutely decimated the population in that area. I haven't shot a doe there since that season.  I have had one doe in particular on camera the past two Septembers that has had twins each year.  The fact this one doe increased the population by 400% all by herself in two years is amazing and therefore I will not shoot her. They have all survived according to trail cam photos.  I'll know it's her because of a distinctly split ear you can see a mile away. Now, if I see her this season, opportunity presents itself, and meat is needed, then I may debate harvesting one of the fawns.  Her chances of being bred and having twins again are great and would give two more deer which would increase the population by 500% by year 3. Even then there's a 90% chance I would let them walk.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 04:22:00 PM »
I would take neither, I would wait for a dry doe. You can tell the difference by watching them if the have a fawn or not.

First kill your decision, good luck shoot straight!

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
I think it just a personal thing.  I can't bring my self to shoot a doe that has a fawn.  Nothing wrong with it but just not for me.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 05:03:00 PM »
I had a great opportunity last weekend to take a doe. Then a little bb came in and started nursing on her. She hung around with him for more than a half hour but I just couldn't bring myself to shoot.Next weekend might be different. Oh and my wife said that I better not shoot a Mommy with babies! I would hate to have to tell a lie.
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
I've orphaned my share of fawns over the years and choose not to do it anymore.  The fawn may be weened and can eat regular food, but it really needs the doe to teach it how to survive, ie find new food sources, make it thru the winter, evade predatorsand watch out for the boogy man hiding in the trees.  If I need to shoot something, I'll take the fawn.  

Altho we tend to use the terms fawn and yearling interchangeably, they are not the same.  A deer is not a yearling until it is a full year old.  Button bucks and the small does will have lost their spots with the change of coats, but they are still fawns.  The yearling doe, now about 1 1/2 years old and likely without a fawn, is high on my "hit list".
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Fletcher, well said. I have shot some does, but after 40+ years of bowhunting whitetails, I am pretty much holding out for a mature buck, if I am so fortunate to get the opportunity. I enjoy the meat, but am not really a "meat hunter." Seems as though I enjoy having them at point blank without them knowing it, and letting them walk. Fair chase with a bow, doe or buck either one is a trophy.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2016, 05:50:00 PM »
Maybe some of us need to attend the Walt Disney hunting tactics and empathy program .
Sponsored by PETA .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
Some of us don't feel the need to kill everything we see either  Graps. I could fill all my tags first week of the season if I hunted like that, not much of a challenge there.

I enjoy sitting, watching and learning deer habits patterning them and how they react to different situations instead killing them as soon as there in range. Yes, I love my deer meat have always processed my own but I wait till later in the season when the temps are right and I don't have to worry or rush it to loose meat. Never have shot nannys or fawns no need to around here but that's just me.

Doesn't bother me what other people shoot though.

Tracy

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2016, 07:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shadowhnter:
Here in a week or two, the doe will kick her fawn away anyhow when she comes into heat. They wont see each other for the better part of a month.... and maybe never. Id take either deer with a clear conscience. Here, I might shoot them both if I played it right.
x2
Almost all our does will have a fawn or two in tow until the Bucks split them up in the rut. I've seen and watched many orphaned fawns survive just fine.
Late summer and early fall, a doe will lead her fawns into fields. By this time, the doe will sit back and let the fawns enter first. Almost like she is willing to sacrifice them.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
I don't shoot does with fawns, or the fawns.  Never.  They bring the bucks in.  I will shoot a big ol dry though if shes by herself.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Im just curious.  Big ol drys dont bring bucks in?

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
:laughing:     :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:00 PM »
Sometimes they dont come into heat when theyre old.  Amything else I need to explain?

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
It depends on a number of things for me.  First, what is the local population like?  Right now where I hunt we are overpopulated, so some does do need to be taken.  

A big factor for me is the empty space in my freezer.  If I need meat, like I did right away this year, I'll take a doe early.  Otherwise, I would rather wait until later after the rut.  The does are buck bait, and I like having them around.  And hunting does in the late season is about as challenging as bowhunting gets.  

I really don't have a problem taking fawns either, it's just that the meat yield is pretty small, so I normally let them pass.  Although I will certainly admit that when I have taken one the meat quality is as good as it gets!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Usually I only get one possibly 2 opportunities here at deer per year, usually muggled up by other hunters.

I always think I will take the first good chance at any deer but i have been known to pass does and fawns in the past couple years.  Usually I get soft before showtime.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
I should probably add that my choice is just that, my choice.  I don't concern myself too much with what someone else shoots.  One of my spots is surrounded by "trophy hunters" and while I don't shoot everything that comes by, if a deer I like offers a great shot, I'm not likely to pass it.  I'm helping out a new bowhunter this season and told him what I tell most, shoot the first deer that offers a good shot.  It's his tag, I'm happy with whatever he fills it with.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
It's different down here. In my county I'm allowed 8 skinheads. 8. Plus a buck, plus urban reduction zones in other counties. Plus state park hunts. Plus does in other counties. Given the opportunity, I'd take mama, then the kids.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 08:28:00 AM »
I saw (the same?) big doe last night with a fawn, and decided to shoot if she gave me a shot. Just like last time, she came in and was passing broadside at 10 yards. I got my bow back about 5 inches when the fawn blew and the doe took off. I was so focused on the spot I wanted to hit that I totally forgot about the fawn. Hunting from the ground sure is tough!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©