3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer question  (Read 258 times)

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deer question
« on: October 26, 2016, 11:41:00 AM »
I mentioned in an earlier post that I was excited as I had found a scrape near a stand that I had placed last year.  This is a relatively small wood lot of about 75 acres surrounded by alfalfa fields and beans.

I came back to hunt it Monday to find every field around it had been tilled up. Disappointed until I saw a new scrape added by my stand.  The first night I hunted it I saw no deer.

Last night I had a doe with a button buck come into the scrape area.  The doe mouths the branch overhead of a scrape.  The buck pays no attention to the doe.  Then I heard what sounded like a lamb bleating. Another fawn comes in on the same travel line as the other two, but this fawn is smaller and much lighter grey in color.   Wondering if the doe has abandoned the last fawn?

Then I hear a deer behind me grunting; not the short grunts I have heard before but longer gutteral  sounds.  The doe and button buck drift off, generally towards the grunting deer (never did see it).

BTW, I  am up to four scrapes within fifty yards now. Can't wait to get out there this weekend.
G
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
What is the question ?
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Graps:
What is the question ?
What he said^^^^^^

I hope you get a crack at a nick buck!

Good luck,

Bisch

Offline MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »
I was wondering if thie second fawn had been abandoned by the doe,  because of the oncoming rut.   I often see does with fawns well into November.  I initially thought the button buck was hers, then this second smaller fawn comes in sounding like a lamb,  a few minutes after the other two.  The button buck took a swipe at it with his front leg when it got too close.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 01:29:00 PM »
Probably was , those buttons can be kinda stupid after momma boots them out .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:37:00 PM »
Hunt it right after a rain

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 01:57:00 PM »
The answer to your question is: No telling? Could be hers, could be another one that already got killed somehow??? No telling?

Bisch

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Michael Arnette:
Hunt it right after a rain
That would be my plan......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 03:41:00 PM »
Here in Indiana, I believe the does are staring to run the young ones off. Friday evening I had a doe with twins come in (I would have shot her if she had given me a clear shot). Yesterday morning the twins came thru without mom. Yesterday afternoon on a different property I had 2 little one come thru and hour apart and no doe to be seen. Does could have been shot, killed by a car or what have you, but I like to think "it" is about to start!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©