3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting... After Kong  (Read 938 times)

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting... After Kong
« on: October 26, 2016, 06:48:00 PM »
I have had an incredibly busy year. With the wide variety of hunting trips that we offer we really only have a couple weeks in February where we sit back and relax.  

Following the 3.5 year hunt for Kong, I really lost the desire to hog hunt for quite some time.  This past spring I located another monster hog and the fire was reignited.  Gator season came along and got in the way and then Georgia Bear season kicked in an that has really consumed me. Man do I love hunting those mountain bears.

This past weekend I decided to change gears a bit and head down to my Trad Bow deer and hog leases in Central Georgia. With the rut just a couple weeks away I thought it best to get in the swing of it all.

I passed on a few deer the first day and decided to hunt an old stand location that has been good to me over the years.  My son Luke has recently been hired as a Fireman and with his 6 months of training has had very little opportunities to hunt. We located a smoking hot white oak feed tree and I was really just waiting on him to shoot. I had my Bavarian Mountain Hound "Bear Dog" in camp when the call came from Luke.

As 10 AM came and went I had seen only some does and a single coyote when I heard a hog squeal nearby. Soon the string of 8-10 hogs could be seen eating under a white oak in a deep banked creek.  I really had no desire to shoot a hog on this morning but that changed when the end of the hog string showed itself.  The last three hogs all were between 270-300 pounds and were and awesome red color.  I have killed more hogs than I can remember but I have never killed a red one. The hunt was on, lol!

I have had great success calling feeding hogs but it normally only works for me when there is a lone boar or a boar on a hot sow. Today was no different. They continued to feed 50 yards away paying my calls no attention.  I considered climbing down from the tree to try a stalk but that would be very difficult due to the dry noisy leaves. I knew the late morning hour would soon have them abruptly leaving for their swamp beds. I knew they would utilize the deep creek bed to make time and I decided that when they departed I would fly out of the tree and sprint ahead to a pinch point in the narrow swamp approach.  

The plan worked perfectly... sort of.  When they departed they did it at a trot and I did a flying squirrel impersonation and hit the ground running.  I knew the deep creek bed would cover my noise and I ran full out 150 yards and eased up to the creek bank, ready for action. A muddy trail told me that they had already passed and I bolted to the next pinch point another 200 yards ahead.  The old road bed would veer away from the creek before turning back to it and this is where everything got sideways.  As I trotted down the road, a small 100ish pound pig caught my eye on the right side of the road so I knew at least some had beat me to the crossing. I nocked an arrow and tried to slide to where they would cross.  Suddenly a monstrous red pig stepped out at just 15 yards and presented a chip shot. I was at 7/8 draw and it stepped forward. Simultaneously, I became aware of a long string approaching from the left side of the road.  The big hog turned away so I tried to get closer to the predicted crossing point.  I could only get a step or two between the smaller pigs crossing. Most were 90-140 pounds but I knew the bigger ones would bring up the rear. Suddenly I could see a big red boar around 260 walking to the crossing point. He would cross at 25 yards and I needed to close the distance but a smaller black hog had stepped into the road and was walking right up to me. I froze and let it walk by but this put the big hog out in the road where I grunted to stop him. I took the shot at 25ish yards and the shot looked good until the lest second where it appeared that the arrow had gone under the boar. He exploded and I quickly nocked another arrow as more were about to cross. As I readied for another shot I could hear a strange noise and realize that my string tracker was SMOKING line. I had hit the big boar.

The blood trail looked like a horror movie and while I normally don't let my blood dog track hogs, I decided to use the track for a little training maintenance work for him.

We put the dog on the line and I fully expected the trail to be well under 100 yards. As we passed 250 yards we found it difficult to believe that any animal could lose this much blood and still be standing.  at 300 yards the blood trail stopped completely. Now, it was all up to bear dog. The hog dropped into a deep creek and we waded more than walked. We were without blood and when Bear climbed a steep bluff I knew where the boar was headed. A large 20 acre, terribly overgrown field. The Chinese privet made walking behind the dog impossible as we passed 700 yards. I decided to take him off lead so that he could escape an attack at the close quarters. He entered a 100'x100' tangle of privet so thick that I could not see him at 15 feet. We circled to the other side and watched him on GPS as he made it half way through and stopped dead still. No sound.... nothing....suddenly it sounded as if a bomb went off as the boar crashed out towards us. The boar was weak and was dispatched to end suffering.  The arrow had passed through and somehow he had gone this far completely running on empty.  I have blood tracked with dogs for 35+ years and have never seen one this tough. The boar literally had almost no blood left in his body.

It felt good to be back after the hogs. I have an addiction to hunting those monster boars. I caught that bug 40 years ago and have never been able to shake it.

My bow was my resurrected 20 year old Black Widow SA-3 53@28 with a Stinger two blade head.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting... After Kong
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
A footnote on the blood dog of mine. He has had some miracle tracks this year for deer with tracks of more than 1,800 yards. Of course he saved the day in our Canada bear camp with tracks there of up to 1.8 miles and more than 24 hours old.  If the use of a blood trailing dog is legal in your state, get to know the resident blood trailing dog handler in your area. Contrary to the name, a blood trailing dog requires no blood at all and can help when things go wrong.  They help to save a valuable resource.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 06:54:00 PM »
Wow. Cool story too. He was running on adrenaline. Nice work

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Great hog and details of your hunt Jerry.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 08:37:00 PM »
Way to go Jerry!
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:12:00 PM »
congrats
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
A fabulous hunt.

Thank you once more 'Jerry' for taking me on an amazing adventure.

CONGRATS!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 09:51:00 PM »
Very cool, Jerry! That location that you were hunting sounded a lot like the place you put me on my trip down there. I know that the background looks familiar on some of those pics. Congrats, buddy!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 09:52:00 PM »
Nice one Jerry, Congrats to you and Bear!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 09:54:00 PM »
Wow very cool congrats, I have to hounds myself but haven't figured out how to train them to work deer trails just family dogs for now but gotta love'em
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 10:02:00 PM »
Another great pig, Jerry!!!!

Congrats,

Bisch

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2016, 10:14:00 PM »
Way to go Jerry!
That's about a typical day in the woods for you.
Congrats
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2016, 10:16:00 PM »
Yep Tony the wounded boar walked right down the creek by the stand you hog hunted from.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 12:17:00 AM »
Outstanding hog and a well told story.
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 12:54:00 AM »
Thanks for sharting.
That was a well told story.
Handsome dog thier

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 03:00:00 AM »
Nice hog and great Dog. Congrats
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 09:31:00 AM »
Giant!!!!!!  That red color is cool - one day I'll make a trip to hunt some hogs, it looks awesome!
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
Giant!!!!!!  That red color is cool - one day I'll make a trip to hunt some hogs, it looks awesome!
Hunting all hogs is great fun but getting after those giant boars is terribly addictive.   Incredible intelligence.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »
Great story. Nice looking dog and what a hog!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
awesome story.
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#