3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you get bored while stand hunting whitetails?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you get bored while stand hunting whitetails?
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:00 PM »
Well said Jon,

I'm in agreement about Bootcamp. Since attending the same camp you did several years ago, my confidence as well as opportunities have increased a good bit. That being said, I haven't stacked up truck loads of Monster Bucks but that's okay. I'm not bored anymore. My odds get better every time I sit the right stand at the right place at the right time.  As hunters we know those stand choices aren't always right, but I now view them as calculated attempts versus just putting time in, which was kinda boring.

Best of luck out there guys, November seems shorter every year. Enjoy it while it lasts.
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »
I get uncomfortable before I get bored. I have gravitated to ladder stands with large foot platforms and seats that fold up. I alternate between standing and setting, dictated by the pain/stiffness in my knees. If I am comfortable I am alert and can stay on stand all day if need be. I used to carry a field guide to native trees and plants to keep myself sharp on all day sits.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 02:10:00 PM »
One of my brother's famous quotes, "when I was young I used to stand until my feet got sore then sit down. Now that I'm older I sit until my butt gets sore then stand up."
Without doing a seminar/lecture here we need to understand each of us is programmed differently. You might be a canine; feline or raptor in your hunting methods. I happen to be most like a raptor because I believe for truly mature bucks you will have the most close range encounters if you let them come to you.
That being said, I get a kick out of guys who say, "if I could hunt this land I'd get big bucks too." No offense to anyone but let's use a couple analogies here. I often hear "you're a lucky guy to have such a great wife." I agree. I kiddingly say, "yeah... but I picked her." Other than being blessed with initially meeting her, the fact of the matter is a lot of the outcome has been because of what I did and said in our 50 year relationship/marriage. Not meaning to sound arrogant but I'm giving myself at least partial credit for my great marriage. Bear with me, this relates to the subject. I see parallel rewards from my hunting efforts similar to a good marriage. Wherever I've hunted/lived in the U.S. for the last 50 or whatever years people have said I'm "lucky" to hunt such great farms. I'm saying you sometimes need to create your own "luck". Just like with a future wife you need to look for initial potential. Then you have to nurture your hunting areas just like a good marriage. You start with great potential; you "manage"; you try to maintain good sex ratios (in the hunting, ha) within the herd and carrying capacities; you help them with supplemental feeding if needed; you patrol and protect from poachers and/or trespassers, trying constantly to keep the jealous outsiders honest; and probably most important, regarding big bucks, you try to limit your take to only FULLY mature 5.5 year old deer to let them grow to their full potential. If you do these things you too will have an outstanding place to hunt. We've done it all across America. Then, if you can talk your neighbors into a similar program the entire area will benefit. It's a win/win/win situation for the deer; the landowners and the hunters. All I'm saying is you put work into developing a great hunting property just like a marriage. And you KNOW via sightings, long range surveillance and/or trail cameras there are monster bucks in your area. When you reach this point it's a lot less likely you'll be bored on stand. Then it's just a matter of setting up a solid foundation for hunting that area based on logic, sound reasoning and an intelligent plan for success. Then having the patience to let it all play out to capitalize on the goals you've worked so hard towards. But always remember along the way we are doing this for personal satisfaction and fun. As with a marriage, family comes first. Best of luck guys. BW

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 02:29:00 PM »
My mind runs wide open all the time. I am thinking every moment I am awake and dream when I sleep(In living color)This may be the reason I don't get bored hunting. I have never been board in over 30 years of stand hunting.I have hunted many a days from 1 hour before light until dark without leaving the stand.I have been tired but never board.The tree stand is where I can turn off the  world and dream of the big buck that is about to sneak within of bow range.I have taken home many a trophy's and never flung an arrow.The animal is a bonus from God!

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 02:47:00 PM »
Nope....never bored.  I love being in the woods too much.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »
Many productive opportunities to exercise the mind and/or take in the experience.

Have experienced some periods of boredom when I would hunt all-dayers.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2016, 08:20:00 PM »
If I got bored I wouldn't go anymore. I just love being out in the tree. You get to see so much going on with nature  ;)
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2016, 11:35:00 AM »
I wouldn't say nesasarily bored... but sure get distracted. I'm lucky to get to sit 4-6 times a season (oct1-feb 12) you'd think I'd be full in . But those 4-6 sits my wife is asking when I'm gonna be back , my kids are asking what we are gonna do and my home project list is running through my head.  I feel guilty taking the time away from my home to go hunt.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2016, 11:49:00 AM »
I bore easily.  Yup, bored.  If the woods are quiet, nothing is moving and I have already been there three hours, with three more in front of me before the "witching hour", yup, I often get bored.  

But so what ?  I am still out there.  

I recognize that some sits will be less than action packed.  Sometimes I settle for smiling and watching that mouse go back and forth on the snag I am sitting behind, or the woodpecker on the backside o my tree at head level.  Other times there are very little or no distractions.

I don't buy the "choice" thing.  My "choice" is to sit out there or not.  So far I am out there as often as I can be.
ChuckC

Offline Jake Scott

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2016, 03:20:00 PM »
I agree with Jon, I don't get "bored" because I spend 365 days a year doing something in direct relation to hunting whitetail deer from a tree stand.  A couple sits in a row with no sightings is an opportunity to reevaluate tactics, think hard with no interruptions, about why the setup isn't a success.  For me, it's all stimulating and boredom never really creeps in.  Does sitting and thoughtfully considering scouting and tactics match seeing or even harvesting game??  Heck no!!  That being said, if you allow yourself to truly be a student of the woods then you won't be bored, in my opinion.

Jake
FORM FORM FORM FORM

TGMM family of the bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2016, 09:00:00 PM »
No
<><
<------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2016, 09:14:00 PM »
As long as you have your phone, some charge, and cell service, its easy to take something off of boredoms edge.

However I do find that it clogs my mind and reduces my killer instinct. So about the only time I'm playing on my phone is when I "know" that I'm not going to see anything. It goes away at least 30 minutes from primetime so I can refocus. I've got some trail stands that are extremely predictable in that way. I've very rarely seen a deer in that stand when the sun is above the horizon.

The key is to be out there. If you burn yourself out by sitting out there all day with no distractions 100% focused and no time contractors (phone, nap, snacks, book, watching squirrels/birds, whatever), and you only can make yourself do it once...then what's the point?

Its better to be out and slightly distracted at times then not out at all!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cyclic-Rivers:
Being Bored is a  choice people make.  It is easier to be bored than to engage your brain with what is going on.

In today's society people are used to having answers immediately. The hunting industry is flooded with gadgets that guarantee success immediately. I think once people buy all that crap, lug it to the woods and realize they've been chumped, they quickly divert their attention to the couch and other activities they can pursue at which point boredom sets in (by choice)

If ever I start feeling bored while hunting (which is very, very seldom), its because I dont want to be there.  I do one of two things, I choose to stop being  bored and engage myself back into the hunt or I leave.
Exactly!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2016, 01:38:00 AM »
I know cell phones are great for safety and all of that but I quit bringing it with me.  Last season someone texted me right at the time I COULD have had a chip shot at a good buck but I wasnt ready because of the damn phone.  No thanks.  My wife asks where I'm hunting even when I'm hundreds of miles from home...as if she could find me. LOL.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2016, 08:24:00 AM »
Just put it on silent without vibration. You won't even notice that it went off. And then don't look at it! Haha

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2016, 08:50:00 AM »
I could use a chip shot right about now
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline muley40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I don`t get bored in the tree stand any time there is great day to enjoy what mother nature has to offer I`am 76 now I have both my knees that are bone on bone and they hurt like hell to walk last night I tried to get to stand that is quite a walk I was halfway there and I just about gave up with the pain but I got mad slowly made my way to the stand and ended up seeing 4 bucks 2 were year and half old one was nice 8 point around 120s plus and lord behold down trail comes 10 pt that would easly gross in the 150s on that trail I should get a 15 yd. broadside shot just then he walks of the trail and walks behind my tree and he is only 10 ft away and I can`t shoot he takes one more step and winds me game over and you what up in that stand I had know knee pain the health problems that my wife has and my daughter-in-law who has a terminal illness never enter my mine for that 4 hours that I was in that stand and even if I would have not seen any deer the piece of mine that I get being able to get to my tree stand is the best therapy I could ever ask for there is nothing like being in the woods how could it ever be boring.
Independent Bow Hunter

Online Barry Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »
Jon: Show them a photo of what not being bored got you the other day. Good job buddy!  bw

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2016, 01:50:00 PM »
After celebrating my last birthday in my fifties boredom does not enter the equasion, savoring the time I have to hunt does.

Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
I am in a tree 6-7 days a week and with a deer and bear season that last 4.5 months it can break you down mentally.  I don't know if I would call it boredom but I would go insane without something to occupy my mind a bit at times.  The best thing I have done is download Kindle ebooks to my iPhone.  It literally can add hours of time to my sits.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©