3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you get bored while stand hunting whitetails?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you get bored while stand hunting whitetails?
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2016, 10:38:00 AM »
I think there is a subtle link between comfort and boredom.  If I'm not completely at ease and comfortable, I notice I begin to fidget around.  My attention gets diverted from a hunting focus to one of finding comfort, often subconsciously.  I sit, I stand up, I stretch, all bad things to do when hunting on the ground.  During these restless times there is a chance I've spooked some animals and did not know it.

So, during the past several years I've gone after 'chairs' or other devices that allow me to sit in complete comfort for several hours.  Depending on terrain, my favorites are the Waldrop pack seat, Millenium blind chair, and the Hammock seat.

For me, comfort equals concentration and concentration prohibits boredom.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
I almost think that full 100% concentration all the time is a bad thing for an all day sit.

I also think we need to define boredom.

Boredom : "the state of feeling bored"

good job google...

Wikipedia's definition: "boredom is an emotional or psychological state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do, is not interested in his or her surroundings, or feels that a day or period is dull or tedious."

Lets break it down now!!! (cue music). looks like theres 3 parts to that definition.

and with that definition in relation to hunting...

"boredom is an emotional or psychological state experienced when an individual is left without anything in particular to do"

well we are out to kill stuff. So we do have something to do.

"is not interested in his or her surroundings"

WE are hunters, thusly, id hope we are interested in our surroundings

"or feels that a day or period is dull or tedious"

That sounds like a pretty good definition of the usual late morning early afternoon timeframe to me!!!

Id say if you can put a checkmark next to all 3 of those parts of the definition then hunting may not be for you.

But there are definite times when it is most certainly dull and tedious to be out there.

Theres no way that staying 100% focused the whole time is good or healthy or even possible. There starts to be a point where you zone out. Taking a 5 minute snack break. Or a quick facebook scan... Or a quick look at trad gang... lets your brain refresh and helps you refocus. That's my 2 cents.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2016, 03:27:00 PM »
We have to be careful putting folks into boxes.  Remember a while back someone had a post about " what kind of hunter are you ?"  Comparing to such as hawk, cougar, wolf or some such.  

Because some get bored sitting for hours on end means nothing at all except maybe they (me too) need to do it a different way. Break it up a bit.  

It has absolutely no bearing on whether they like to hunt, like the woods, like the animals or like Hillary.  If you like to sit all day long, go for it.  If you can't sit long but like to still hunt, what's wrong with that ?
ChuckC

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »
Perfect ChuckC.

Offline Pivo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2016, 07:05:00 PM »
Sometimes I take a moment to say few prayers when I'm "bored".  Seems like good things happen after that

Offline Pivo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2016, 07:14:00 PM »
Sometimes I take a moment to say few prayers when I'm "bored".  Seems like good things happen after that

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2016, 10:26:00 PM »
Did my first all-dayer of the season today. Saw a forky at 8:00 and that was it for the day. Good bucks have been tagged in recent days and many are reporting bucks chasing does. So I stuck to it all day. Was I surprised/disappointed in what I saw? Sure. It really didn't seem to be a chore to me. But then again, my wife will tell you that I'm pretty good at "zoning out".

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »
Well stated Barry.

Offline Chad4372

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 04:39:00 PM »
I get bored. In fact, Im sitting in my tree stand right now playing on my phone.
Chad
Bear Kodiak Hunter

Offline Chad4372

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
I get bored. In fact, Im sitting in my tree stand right now playing on my phone.
Chad
Bear Kodiak Hunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©