3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Off to Iowa  (Read 1032 times)

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Off to Iowa
« on: November 03, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
I leave to hook up with Joe "Whip" Lasch tomorrow morning.  Then we head to southeast Iowa for 9 days of hunting with Jeff Holchin.  We've been monitoring some trail cameras that show some unbelievable bucks.  It's real nice to know what is out there so I won't be drawing on a trophy eastern 8 point this year.  This is the first time I'll be back in the woods after not hunting in the last 4 years. With all my surgery (two backs, total knee and shoulder) I'm feeling great even if I can't hear...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Off to Iowa
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
Best of luck and have a good time......get one of your knives dirty........   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »
Best of luck Jeff, get a big one sir! Travel safe too!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline 23feetupandhappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 01:44:00 PM »
Lots of deer moving around and buck sightings have really increased the last 5 or 6 days.

Your hitting it just about right although you may be dealing with some high temps   :knothead:

Go get um Doc   :archer:
The Lord Is My Provider......

Offline Flatshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 01:55:00 PM »
Good luck Jeff! Did a few DIY hunts out there until leases went up so high it was unaffordable. That and the high cost of license fees made me turn my back on that state.

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:08:00 PM »
Good luck Jeff, great to see you will be back in the woods! Looking forward to the stories from this hunt.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Best of luck to both of you.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
You will have a good time hunting with two fellow PBS'ers. I have hunted with them both.
Holchin needs to write a book entitled "How to go on as many hunting trips as possible and still be married"  He is the master
Every time Joe post pictures, I think that retired dog.
Sitting here at the hospital thinking another day closer to retirement. Good luck, I am sure Holchin will text me
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Here in SE Iowa things have really heated up the last few days. Weather is warm but bucks are chasing does.  Last Sunday I know of 4 bucks to die by arrow, with the largest being green scored at 163 and one of my close friends seen 4  bucks that night and let a 140 inch 3 year old buck walk by at 10 yards holding out for a bigger/older deer. A week and a half ago bucks were responding good to rattling.
  Good luck and hunt safe!

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 04:04:00 PM »
Good luck to you three!!!!  Hope to see some awesome hero pics from your adventure.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 04:43:00 PM »
Happy travels and hunting!!    :archer2:

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
It's been hot here in Monroe County Iowa. Have not seen much chasing or movement here on the farm since last weekend. And from what I see of the weather report, there's no relief in sight. The mornings will be your best shot. Best of luck!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 04:46:00 PM »
The other night I went to my chair tree cluster. It just requires a light butt pad to make it perfect for a right hand shot to three trails.  I had a number of deer come by me.  The run trail that the thermal was catching was the only one that I needed a left hand bow, but in 45 years I had never seen a deer on that trail in the evening.  Wouldn't you just know.  Right about sunset a super buck with his head down low to get his antlers through the woody brush comes in and stops twenty yards facing straight at me and directly down the thermal while I was swatting at the most aggressive mosquito that I have ever had the pleasure.   It would have been a real freak situation if that would have turned into a shot anyway, but it was nice to be that close to one that huge.  Its got me thinking about warming that heavy Schulz.

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 06:28:00 PM »
Good luck, Jeff..!!

Online Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 07:28:00 PM »
Good luck to two of my favorite people on this earth    :thumbsup:

You guys have a great spot. Be patient...

No Iowa for me till late season this year.

Doc--you will appreciate what I did today. I'm a very happy man! 13#~~I messed up on two much bigger males.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
Best of luck Jeff. Looking forward to your tale of the hunt. Sitting on 5 points for Iowa myself but it's just too much fun heading to Missouri to spend some quality time with Kenny McKenzie. I'll be there in three weeks.

Steve, spending a little quality time on the St. Mary's? Beautiful fish.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2016, 07:55:00 PM »
Good luck to everyone.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
Steve O,
You did it.  Nice fat Atlantic!!  My Atlantic salmon season started off with a Big Bang...caught a 37" 18# Silver Hen fresh from the ocean with sea lice still on her.  Took me a good 20 minutes to land her because the regs on The Mirimachi river changed due to the salmon stock being down to using only single hook flies with the barb pinched down.  It was the first morning on about the 20th cast.  Man I thought this year was going to be great.  Then not another other bump or take with two guys fishing all day for 5 days.  Kinda like bow hunting      :)     Poor picture as my fishing buddy couldn't see the image on my phone.

[/url] [/IMG]
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2016, 06:00:00 AM »
Good luck boys!  I've been hearing y'all talk about this hunt for years now.  Glad you're finally making it happen.  Looking forward to the stories.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2016, 06:02:00 AM »
Good luck boys!  I've been hearing y'all talk about this hunt for years now.  Glad you're finally making it happen.  Looking forward to the stories.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©