3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow ok?  (Read 369 times)

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
bow ok?
« on: November 03, 2016, 05:48:00 PM »
will my bow be ok i had an arrow blow up on me shooting today thank god im ok im just worried about the bow. looks ok
aim small miss small

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow ok?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:59:00 PM »
The only thing you can really do is to keep shooting it and see what happens.  Generally they're making bows strong enough these days to stand a dry fire or two.  An arrow disintegration shouldn't be quite as bad as a dry fire, since there is still some resistance to the string going forward.  Just don't make a habit of it.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
wood or carbon?
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nhbuck1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 06:13:00 PM »
carbon
aim small miss small

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 06:50:00 PM »
Most likely it will be fine - draw it in small increments at a time until you have determined it's not cracked and isn't exposing any hidden issues.  I'd bet it will be good to go.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 08:58:00 PM »
It should be fine but you could take a magnifying glass and go over the bow. And I would keep doing that after a few shoots for a while.

It may be tedious to keep doing this but it's better then what could be.

Offline Arctic Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2016, 01:16:00 AM »
I dry fired mine a while back when a nock slipped off the string.  Didn't seem to hurt it any.
Black Widow PSAX 56#@30.5"

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 01:35:00 AM »
I had a nock failure a while back that seemed like might as well have dry fired my bow. I had another incident where I shot the same bow in a down stairs, semi enclosed patio. It turned out I was right underneath a ceiling type fan.... the upper limb struck  one of the blades about 5" down from the tip.... Broke the fan blade clean off at the mounting bracket. lol...  wasnt so funny when I was replacing the fan blade.

That bow is still up and running despite my best efforts to kill it.  I would just watch and listen.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
If I am unsure about a bow I will sit in a chair, put my foot in the throat and draw the bow carefully and listen for any ticks or squeeks. I also wear safety glasses.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »
I had a nock fail on an arrow while using my longbow one time. Scared the heck out of me. I was sure that that bow was goner, but it doesn't look any the worse for wear and is still shooting strong. I slowly drew it a few inches with a pair of safety glasses, but it was fine.

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 11:00:00 AM »
I understand it is a good idea to rub a cotton ball over the limbs.  The idea is the cotton ball will pick up any areas where the glass may have lifted up or a crack has began to form.  I also like the magnifying glass idea.  Do as James V  recommended or even put it on a tiller tree if one is available.  You will more than likely be just fine, and the bow will live a long and hopefully successful life, taking many animals in the future.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©