3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ever done this?  (Read 454 times)

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
Ever done this?
« on: November 05, 2016, 04:00:00 PM »
Two days ago I had a dandy 6pt. pick up the scent trail I laid down when I came in to my stand. He was on a string. I was up and ready and already had him in the freezer. Then I did it. I committed the cardinal sin of instinctive shooting. I started to focus on his eyes to see if he sensed me. You guessed it. Rather than staring at the ribcage I never took my gaze off his eyes. Yep. Arrow right over his antlers!!! Did I mention he was probably 8yds. in front of me. I'm still kicking myself. Ugh!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ever done this?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 04:10:00 PM »
That's the fun and frustration of trad gear. Keep at.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 04:14:00 PM »
That must be why the old timers say " don't look at the rack " .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 04:34:00 PM »
more folks do that than not.....

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 05:08:00 PM »
Your arrow is going were ur looking.  Once I decide I'm going to shoot,I follow the crease behind their legs. That helps me focus
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Yewbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 05:27:00 PM »
Thats a bummer. Well on the bright side you learned not to look'em in the eyes like the hot girl sitting at the other table    :nono:

Offline Vesty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 06:25:00 PM »
It is a bummer but a lesson well learned. This buck is unscathed for which I am grateful. If I'm going to miss I want it to be a clean miss.

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 07:54:00 PM »
Ben there and done that more than once.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »
Often, what looks like failure is just a step on the journey.

My own journey has gratefully been a long one and have learned to take my falls more gracefully and attempt to find humor in them. Many more falls lay ahead as long as I continue to recieve the gift of the hunt.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline kuch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 09:50:00 PM »
They are never in the  freezer ,until they are in the freezer. There are never"slam dunks". 8 yds " should " be  a slam dunk, but if your mind is not properly focused on the killing shot.....you will miss or worse. Whenever my mind strays to : should I...I have work tomorrow; this is easy....; what about the other deer... BAD results. Clear mind in the predator mode.....nothing but " I'm going to shoot a clean kill shot and pick a small spot on the animal"....usually goes well.

Easier said then done.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 07:26:00 AM »
Been there, done that! It sucks! Its the heat of the moment that gets you over thinking and you think of everything but what you need to do. I have Pick a spot and anchor on the belly of my upper limb just to remind me!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online imbowhunt10

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:46:00 AM »
Sadly I say, I have been there and done that on the biggest buck I have ever seen on the hoof. It wasthe Saturday before Thanksgiving several years ago, heard him coming, seen him coming, and at about 8 yards i shot over his back. It took a long time to get over that. I was not looking at where i was shooting. I broke the golden rule of shooting, PICK A SPOT. After all these years i still get upset when i think about it. But one has to learn and not make the same mistake twice.
Never measure the mountain until you have reached the top, then you will see how low it is.

Offline highlow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 09:47:00 AM »
Oh yeah. I've made a clean miss at distances closer than that, sad to say. These kinds of experiences are what make trad archery so addictive. We never stop learning.
Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy - Ben Franklin

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 12:02:00 PM »
Not quite the same, but I missed a doe on an almost straight down shot because I concentrated too hard.  I practiced straight down shots and found that I was always about 2 inches high.  This doe came in stopped below me, I concentrated on a spot about an inch off of her shoulder, knowing the arrow would be 2" high and I'd have my deer.  The arrow went right where I was looking-nothing but dirt.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline hnt2mch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:00 PM »
lol    :banghead:   yes I have!!!!the first deer I ever got I done the exact same thing only Imy arrow struck him just below and a little behind his ear!really short tracking job lol
don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns,don't look at the horns....

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 09:24:00 AM »
During police firearms training while going through the shooting house I often would find most of my shots were near the bad guys weapon as that's what my eyes were looking for.  Same principal.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2016, 11:28:00 AM »
Yes I have....but I got a second shot and connected!  Lol. 26 years ago. A real brute

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©